Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: John Mitchell-'Please Come Home' concept album!

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I swear my brain thought I saw JONI Mitchell when I clicked on this thread.
    That's what happened to me as well...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Weird, I saw it as Jean Michelle Jarre.

If John Mitchell joined PE and read this thread, he'd be f'ing disappointed.

No doubt. It is a really impressive album and its a shame that the bulk of this thread seems to be about the Joni Mitchell name confusion. With all due respect to the posters, as we are just talking here and the conversations go where they go, but jeez. It just seems a bit of a waste as there is some quality work here that deserves some legitimate discussion.

That should change once the cd is released in the U.S.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    If John Mitchell joined PE and read this thread, he'd be f'ing disappointed.
    Just because John Mitchell is not a member of PE, doesn't mean that he doesn't read this stuff.

Anyway, right now he's feeling rather chuffed as the album is #14 in the Official UK Rock Charts.

John, remember when you were in Kino? That was awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by robh View Post
    Just because John Mitchell is not a member of PE, doesn't mean that he doesn't read this stuff.

Anyway, right now he's feeling rather chuffed as the album is #14 in the Official UK Rock Charts.
    The United Kingdom has official Rick charts? Wow, that's one government that takes music seriously!

Spun this disc several times now and I enjoy it a lot. High quality stuff, very much in the Kerzner/Sound Of Contact vein IMO. It almost fits in as part of a loose trilogy of sorts with New World and Dimensionaut (the artists involved may not see it that way but to these ears they are very similar).

I had to really listen for Steve Hogarth's backing vox on the two tracks he appears on, but he's there!

Plenty of memorable melodies from beginning to end. A strong album! Recommended.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Spun this disc several times now and I enjoy it a lot. High quality stuff, very much in the Kerzner/Sound Of Contact vein IMO. It almost fits in as part of a loose trilogy of sorts with New World and Dimensionaut (the artists involved may not see it that way but to these ears they are very similar).
    I had the same thought.

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I had to really listen for Steve Hogarth's backing vox on the two tracks he appears on, but he's there!
    You can hear him better during the "Why Do We Stay (Piano Mix)"

I'm really loving this one.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I'd say it's a must for any Kino fans out there. Really enjoying it.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

I love it too. I dig his vocals, and love his guitar work, so sadly underrated IMO. Def for fans of Kino, but fans of Milliontown as well. Great piece of music.

Agreed with the positive vibes on Lonely Robot. I enjoy it much more than the last It Bites album.

From John's Facebook page:

Lonely Robot, the project masterminded by producer, guitarist and singer/songwriter John Mitchell (It Bites, Frost*, Arena), has announced that its much-anticipated second studio album ‘The Big Dream’ will be released on 28th April 2017.

Following 2015’s acclaimed debut ‘Please Come Home’, ‘The Big Dream’ has a core theme running through it - one that sees The Astronaut, the central character in the Lonely Robot adventure, emerging from a long period in stasis.

Mitchell explains: “The Astronaut wakes up from a cryogenic sleep but finds he’s no longer in space, and is instead in a woodland area surrounded by a group of strange people with animal heads! It's a little surreal, a little ‘Midsummer Night's Dream’ to some extent. This is something of a solipsistic haze, for want of a better description!”

‘The Big Dream’ will be available as a special edition digipak CD (including 3 bonus tracks), gatefold 2LP + CD, and digital download. The track listing is as follows:

1. Prologue (Deep Sleep)
    2. Awakenings
    3. Sigma
    4. In Floral Green
    5. Everglow
    6. False Lights
    7. Symbolic
    8. The Divine Art Of Being
    9. The Big Dream
    10. Hello World Goodbye
    11. Epilogue (Sea Beams)

Bonus Tracks:
    12. In Floral Green (Acoustic Version)
    13. The Divine Art Of Being (Acoustic Version)
    14. Why Do We Stay? (feat. Kim Seviour)

Lonely Robot will be brought to life on stage with Craig Blundell on drums, Steve Vantsis on bass & Liam Holmes on keyboards. The following dates are currently confirmed:

Sun 5 March – Progdreams VI, Boerderij, Zoetermeer, Netherlands
    Thu 27 April – Sub89, Reading, UK
    Fri 28 April – Marillion Convention, Leicester, UK
    Sat 27 May – Trinity Live, Assembly Rooms, Leamington Spa, UK

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Anything by John Mitchell piques my interest. Lonely Robot still gets listening time. Any news who the guests are this time around?
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-16-2017 at 02:49 AM.

I went to see Frost on Cruise to the Edge, partly because I'd never seen John Mitchell live before, and I thought this might be my only chance. However, I've never really warmed to Frost (ha-ha) and I didn't enjoy their music live either. While Jem Godfrey is a pretty amusing front-man, and he used a lot of funny triggered sounds, the band isn't very musical or melodic to my ears, and it wasn't a good showcase for Mitchell, having very little in the way of guitar solos. Just my opinion, as a lot of people really enjoyed them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    it wasn't a good showcase for Mitchell, having very little in the way of guitar solos. Just my opinion, as a lot of people really enjoyed them.
    I haven't seen their setlist, but their debut album features Mitchell throughout. I wasn't familiar with his work before that, but that album opened my eyes and I became a huge fan.

Maybe the live CD showcases his talents more?

FROST - The Philadelphia Experiment (2 CD)
    (Code: 18817)

£ 11.99

PRE-ORDER
    Add to cart
    FROST - The Philadelphia Experiment (2 CD)Live at RoSFest 2009 - with Nick d'Virgilio, John Mitchell, Jem Godfrey, Dec Burke, and John Jowitt!
    Format: CD / Cat No: CUB0042CD / Released: 20/02/2017

Track Listing: CD 1: Intro / Hyperventilate / The Forget You Song / Wonderland / Falling Down / Black Light Machine / Experiments In Mass Appeal / Snowman / Story Time / Pocket Sun / Saline / Dear Dead Days / CD 2: Milliontown / The Other Me / The Dividing Line

More information: A 2 CD re-release recorded live at the Rites Of Spring Festival held at the Keswick theatre in Philadelphia, USA in 2009 containing nearly TWO hours of music on 2 audio CD's, including Milliontown, Falling Down, Hyperventilate, The Other Me, Black Light Machine, Snowman and The Dividing Line Frost*’s brand new 17 minute studio track recorded specially for The Dividing Line Broadcast Network’s 10 Anniversary last month.

Line-up: Dec Burke - vocals, guitar / Jem Godfrey - vocals, keyboards / John Mitchell - guitars, vocals / Nick d'Virgilio - drums, vocals / John Jowitt - bass, vocals

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I swear my brain thought I saw JONI Mitchell when I clicked on this thread.
    Haha you're not alone.

Me too - Wonder why that is?

Big John Mitchell fan (lesser so Joni Mitchell).

The ROSFest which featured both Arena and Kino was FANTASTIC. Mitchell blew me away in both shows. I have enjoyed his guitar work on everything I am aware of him playing on. Looking forward to the new release because I did enjoy "Coming Home" very much.

I have always been surprised that Arena brings in new vocalists every couple albums and yet I enjoy John Mitchell's vocals so much. I won't say he has an unbelievable voice, but I enjoy it on the songs he sings.

I totally enjoyed Frost on the cruise, although John Mitchell seemed a little aloof. Maybe he is just quiet and shy. I really like the first Lonely Robot and am looking forward to the second.

Jefferson James
    I, too, saw the title of the thread as "Joni Mitchell." There's some fucked-up shit going on around this thread.

Saw John Mitchell with It Bites in 2012 and he blew me away with his musicianship, voice and stage presence.