Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gavin Harrison: "Cheating The Polygraph"

Gavin Harrison: "Cheating The Polygraph"

From Gavin himself...

My new album will be released early April (Kscope records). Amazing arrangements of many of my favourite Porcupine Tree songs. I've been working on this for 5 years and it features some of the World's best contemporary Jazz players.

Sounds intriguing! Not listed on the Kscope site yet, apart from a link to Gavin's facebook page where that quote can be found.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Would love to hear some outtakes to see how these songs differ from the originals - totally new and explorative or cloned copies?
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    totally new and explorative or cloned copies?
    If we're talking contemporary jazz players, that has to be a rhetorical question.

I for one am pretty intrigued.....

Count me as intrigued and very interested in hearing who the other players are...
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Would love to hear some outtakes to see how these songs differ from the originals - totally new and explorative or cloned copies?
    The "amazing arrangements...featuring some of the world's best contemporary jazz players" part to me implies that they won't be cloned copies.

Sounds pretty interesting.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I saw Gavin at a drum clinic in Milwaukee about a year and a half ago and he played some of this. Very interesting stuff, almost didn't recognize it as PT.

Maybe it will be done along the lines of this jazz arrangement of PT's Futile from 2011
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The "amazing arrangements...featuring some of the world's best contemporary jazz players" part to me implies that they won't be cloned copies.
    Also the part with it being Gavin.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Suspended
    I find it hard to get worked up about this. I feel the same about Steve Hackett's reimagining of Genesis songs. However good the songs may be, and however good the player is (and Gavin is one of the best), I'd rather listen to something new - or to the original recordings. I guess I'm just not the sort of person who needs lots of different interpretations of their favourite songs.

It's not as though Gavin can't create music in his own right. Some of his solo self-penned stuff is quite interesting.

Would be nice if it is instrumental.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Just based on what I've heard Harrison play on so far, which is limited to "Bruised Romantic Glee Club" and "Scarcity of Miracles," I am interested in this. For me, it would be an intro to Porcupine Tree.

gavin + kScope + PT + jazz vibes = auto-buy.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    Maybe it will be done along the lines of this jazz arrangement of PT's Futile from 2011
    Well I was afraid that was going to start out like a train wreck of heavy-handed, ham-fisted Neil Peart proportions, but it was actually listenable. Who knew?

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I find it hard to get worked up about this. I feel the same about Steve Hackett's reimagining of Genesis songs.
    But then, on the other hand, there was the Crimson Jazz Trio.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Nashorn View Post
    But then, on the other hand, there was the Crimson Jazz Trio.
    Never having been a convert to KC, I'm not qualified to judge whether the Crimson Jazz trio was a good thing or a bad thing.

Never having been a convert to KC, I'm not qualified to judge whether the Crimson Jazz trio was a good thing or a bad thing.
    Very good. They nailed the concept completely--the frameworks of the songs are recognizable but they're completely fresh & suited to a whole different style at the same time. The CJ3 was the first group I thought of when seeing this announcement, and I'll be happy with Gav's album if he even approaches their success.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    I find it hard to get worked up about this. I feel the same about Steve Hackett's reimagining of Genesis songs. However good the songs may be, and however good the player is (and Gavin is one of the best), I'd rather listen to something new - or to the original recordings. I guess I'm just not the sort of person who needs lots of different interpretations of their favourite songs.

It's not as though Gavin can't create music in his own right. Some of his solo self-penned stuff is quite interesting.
    Agreed.

I wouldn't mind a listen, but highly unlikely to buy.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

You should listen to what Alex Skolnik did turning rock songs into instrumental jazz and fusion songs. Now if he kept them instrumental and turned them into jazz/fusion that could be quite interesting.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Well, if he is using some of the worlds best contemporary jazz players, why not write new original material? Lazy? Milking the last drop? Steve Hackett? More three day old pizza? Good grief.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    if he is using some of the worlds best contemporary jazz players, why not write new original material?
    Because he had interesting ideas on arrangements for these particular songs? Far as I'm concerned, a familiar song can practically become a new original one with a clever enough reinvention.

Jazz musicians always play new, original material, right?
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    Because he had interesting ideas on arrangements for these particular songs? Far as I'm concerned, a familiar song can practically become a new original one with a clever enough reinvention.
    "Well come on guys, let's rework these old PT songs". Sorry, I got the idea the first time around. No sale here.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Jazz musicians always play new, original material, right?
    I do find this thought provoking.

"Well come on guys, let's rework these old PT songs". Sorry, I got the idea the first time around. No sale here.
    Kinda sucks the way everything isn't for everyone all the time, don't it?

Hopefully Harrison will see your posts, realize what a mistake he's made, and rethink his plans.

No sale here.
    Fair enough--it's obviously not for everyone, but there's no reason to think it's lazy or unoriginal or a cheap way to milk the name either.