Thread: FEATURED CD - Ephel Duath : The Painter's Pallette

FEATURED CD - Ephel Duath : The Painter's Pallette

Some avant garde metal. Per SputnikmMusic:
    Ephel Duath are unique, to put it lightly. Their drummer is an old jazz player who has no previous experience in metal. Their bassist is a progressive virtuoso. Their clean vocalist likes to imitate Jeff Buckley, while their other vocalist pumps out screams that would work in both extreme metal or hardcore bands. They use trumpets and synthesisers. But it isn't just their instrumentation and members that makes them unique, it's also their sound. This is certainly one of the most unique bands to come out of Italy in a long time. Approach them with an open mind.

Ephel Duath's album is one of the wierdest metal albums to come out in a long time (though it is easily accessible). Mixing styles like black metal, hardcore, jazz, hip-hop, post-rock and even elements of classical, it would be easy for this album to come out as a terrible mess. However, the album works very well and what's more, it flows together as a concept album. While there are plenty of laid cack grooves on the album, there is just as much ferocious energy being unleashed.

Not only does "The Painter's Palette" deliver in the experimentation department, as well as the musicianship department, it also delivers in the songwriting department. Founding member and guitarist, David Tiso handles all of the songwriting duties and it is clear that his songwriting has come a long way since the first demo, "Opera". After giving this album a few solid listens, it will become clear to the listener that Tiso is a brilliant, brilliant person. The way he mixes his styles and makes them flow as if it is the way the songs are meant to sound, is incredible.

The album kicks into it with the track "The Passage". The song starts with some clean jazzy guitar parts. Just when the listener starts to kick back and groove to the song, a heavy distorted guitar riff and a very jazzy trumpet over the top. As soon as the listener gets into that part of the song, it cuts out again. This time, Luciano starts screaming "I've a thousand ways to ruin all!!!". After listening to this track, the listener starts to get an idea of what they will experience in listening to this album. This album isn't just jazz influenced like some of the band's peers, this album is a true fusion of jazz and metal. Every aspect of this album is excellent. Ephel Duath have managed to release a near masterpiece. All that is needed is open minded listeners.
    http://www.sputnikmusic.com/review/1...nters-Palette/

Last edited by Duncan Glenday; 01-16-2015 at 10:00 AM.
    Regards,

Duncan

This is strange music. I think I like it. I'm not sure if it's something I'd spend money on and find myself listening to a lot, but I bet I'd love to see them live.
    flute juice

Count me as an Ephel Duath completist. Tiso is a genius in the Avant-Garde Metal world and, IMHO, one of the musicians keeping the Prog spirit alive. I am also super fortunate that he recently relocated to San Francisco!!! He is married to Karyn Crisis. Even if Ephel Duath doesn't continue, as indicated by this post http://metalriot.com/news/ephel-duat...s-the-project/ , Tiso with ED has left plenty of legacy and if he continues in the same directions in the future we have much to look forward to.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    This is strange music. I think I like it. I'm not sure if it's something I'd spend money on and find myself listening to a lot, but I bet I'd love to see them live.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Just Eric View Post
    ...He is married to Karyn Crisis....
    Interesting - I had no idea.

For info on the music created by his blushing bride :

http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ontent&id=1436
    and
    http://seaoftranquility.org/reviews....ontent&id=1469
    Regards,

Duncan

Fantastic album, right up there with Opeth in that it sets itself apart from the Black Metal crowd (e.g. the first album, which was a great album, but is pretty much a straight black metal album).
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Quote Originally Posted by arise_shine View Post
    Too late; leader Davide Tiso decided to fold the band several weeks ago.

Foggy Nell, is that true? I has a sad. Bingeing shortly.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Wonderful, the drumming especially.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Fantastic album, right up there with Opeth in that it sets itself apart from the Black Metal crowd.
    When were Opeth ever a black metal act - or an attempt at that? Numerous extreme metal bands with BM beginnings set themselves apart from that.

ED are quite good (so thx for posting!), but this is very much in the post-maudlin of the Well/Kayo aesthetic and I'm not that sure about too much more being possibly done there which hasn't already happened.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When were Opeth ever a black metal act - or an attempt at that?
    Never!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    When were Opeth ever a black metal act -...
    Hey hey hey, relax, I didn't mean anything by it, I just misspoke.

I'm not a lyrics listener, so I could care less what they're singing about, especially when I can't understand it anyway (growling). So yes, I understand they're not technically a black metal band. I was talking more about the overarching category that encompasses growled vocals and heavily distorted guitars. So what phrase was I looking for, "extreme metal"? Or just "metal"? I wanted to separate it out from anything even remotely hard rock (e.g., cleanly sung or with softer moments), so to me, just "metal" was insufficient.

I refer to Opeth because I think even their early albums (My Arms, Your Hearse, etc.) have a slightly different sound than a lot else in the field, and I attribute it to the interesting mix of Swedes and Uruguayans. Similarly, I think Ephel Duath separate themselves on this album -- perhaps more radically so -- with the jazzy drumming and the trumpet. That's the only reason one made me think of the other.

They obviously sound nothing alike.

Opeth are Death Metal. Nuanced difference but serious to Metal fans.

Black Metal is shrieked vocals, fast picked guitar while Death Metal is deep growls with down-tuned guitar. But your point is clear, Opeth evolved from a nearly pure Death Metal band, to one incorporating Prog elements to one that is pure Prog.
    Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

I thought black metal was areligious or even anti-religious. And death metal was stuff about snuff, like Cannibal Corpse.

And no, I wasn't talking about the intermediate stuff, I was talking about the earliest stuff -- Orchid, Morningrise, and My Arms Your Hearse. They differentiated themselves from the beginning (to my ears, anyway).

Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Hey hey hey, relax, I didn't mean anything by it, I just misspoke.
    I won't relax! You must PAY FOR THIS!!

Well, maybe not. Evil blood & fire metal is the tuffest of the ruffest!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM