Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GRYPHON: "None The Wiser" tour 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I know that this is sacrilegious opinion but I happen to think that Treason is the best Gryphon album.
    I don't know that it's sacrilege. Many a fan will acknowledge that "Spring Song" is one of the best things they ever did.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I don't know that it's sacrilege. Many a fan will acknowledge that "Spring Song" is one of the best things they ever did.
    Granted, but this is very much the accepted logic, just like with Raindance people say 'bit of a letdown but isn't (Ein Klein) Heldenleben great!'. I'm shouting out for the wonderfulness of tracks like Fontinental Version with that beautiful section of recorder in it, the impossibly melancholy cover of Mother Natures Son , the quirky madness of Falero Lady with its medieval heavy metal vibe. And yes, liek someone mentioned already, David Oberle's vocals are just wonderful in their timbre, give me goosebumps just like Richard Sinclair's do.

How is the band pronounced...Gri -fon or Griffin

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    How is the band pronounced...Gri -fon or Griffin
    Gryphon is an alternate spelling of Griffin, hence it's pronounced like the mythological animal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I know that this is sacrilegious opinion but I happen to think that Treason is the best Gryphon album. Earlier ones are more original (at least from rock audience perspective) but I don't know... those just don't seem to fully work.
    I think they work just fine - but they aren't "rock" albums! And the fact remains that Gryphon didn't even present themselves as anything near "rock music" before the venture of RQtGT, at which time the cultural idiom of "rock" had all seemed to implode with pieces like Topographic Oceans and A Passion Play topping charts and even a band like GGiant selling well across the pond. These were unreal days, hence the tendency to frown at past mistakes in hindsight. Whatever we may think as "ingroup" of "prog" enthusiasts, the excesses and alleged sins of some 70s artists are indeed still seen as exactly that within a lot of camps.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

I hope they film it!

Just ordered Self Titled from Wayside....

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Just ordered Self Titled from Wayside....
    Good man - its a gem IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Good man - its a gem IMO.
    Yeah, it's a pretty cool album for sure.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Yeah, but it's no Treason.

ReInvention - A possible Vinyl Release?
    Greetings to all you wonderful and faithful members of the extended Gryphon family!

Things are rumbling on quite nicely here – the Facebook page continues to grow followers, the gigs are getting better attended – the recent one at Shoreham’s lovely Ropetackle Arts Centre was packed to the rafters and deemed a resounding success.
    We have begun airing tracks from the new album, now to be entitled “ReInvention”. Notes are being written for the booklet, artwork being completed by the great psychedelic artist John Hurford. Check out his work on our website:
    http://www.thegryphonpages.com
    and on his own:
    http://www.johnhurford.co.uk

All very exciting stuff. And here’s where you come in!

We are considering the viability of a vinyl release, and would love you to let us know if you would be interested in purchasing this. It is likely to cost £20-25.

If you are interested, would you please let us know either on our blog:
    http://www.thegryphonpages.com/blog.html
    or on our Facebook page:
    http://www.facebook.com/newgryphon/

Apologies for the delay in the appearance of the Union Chapel 2016 DVD. We have experienced several technical hitches in its production, but things are now moving on.

Huge thanks for your continued support.

Catch you all along the road soon...

Graeme
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Is Richard Harvey still involved, if only as composer ? Saw them in London in 2016 with him but seem to remember he has since left...