Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Marillion USA 2016

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    The Invisible Man>Neverland. Asylum Satellite #1>Splintering Heart.
    I'll buy that for a dollar!

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I totally agree with Spiral. Not a fan of that song at all, and not a good opener at all, IMO. Especially when they were opening with "Splintering Heart" at other shows - one of their best openers.
    Yeah, when compared to the setlist of the next night in Boston, the Philly audience got the short end of the stick. Add in the fact that the technical problems yielded a band who just looked pissed to be there and you have the makings of a mediocre show. But Philly fans are great and definitely did their best to make the band feel welcomed.

Quote Originally Posted by marblesmike View Post
    Yeah, when compared to the setlist of the next night in Boston, the Philly audience got the short end of the stick. Add in the fact that the technical problems yielded a band who just looked pissed to be there and you have the makings of a mediocre show. But Philly fans are great and definitely did their best to make the band feel welcomed.
    Ok, wait, what was the date for this show? I need to check my archives...

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Ok, wait, what was the date for this show? I need to check my archives...
    June 15, 2012:

Asylum Satellite #1
    Cover My Eyes (Pain And Heaven)
    Slainte Mhath
    Fantastic Place
    Somewhere Else
    Power
    Afraid Of Sunlight
    Man Of A Thousand Faces
    Lucky Man
    This Strange Engine
    Neverland
    The Invisible Man
    Easter
    Three Minute Boy

I'm not a fan of This Strange Engine so this might be where my opinion departs from many Marillion fans.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Asylum Satellite #1 is one of your least favorites from HItR? You're in a real minority there, i think. Granted it's not a perfect opener, but I love that song.
    It's more of a flawed gem in my book... one of those times where they have a nice idea and it's somehow a little off in execution. Maybe it just doesn't need to be quite as sweeping and drawn-out as it is. (While at the same time my favorite is the title track, which is even more sweeping and drawn-out and works like gangbusters. It's the kind of thing I can never explain.) I do like AS#1, just less than most of the remainder of the album.

Quote Originally Posted by DTA View Post
    I was a bit disappointed in the Philly set as well. Too many longer songs with too much attention placed on Marbles, which they had already toured for in the US in 2004. I'd really like to see them pull out some interesting songs and do some lesser-played pieces from all of their albums. As much as fans love Neverland and The Invisible Man, both of those take up basically 1/4 of a two-hour set.
    You can never have too much Marbles as far as I'm concerned, but it did seem a little odd that they'd include so much of it (after touring it the previous time, as you said) while mostly neglecting anything newer. Then again I was thrilled to finally see "The Invisible Man" and "Fantastic Place" in person. Meanwhile the missus loves "Neverland" and said it was the one she knows best, so it made a nice moment for us. I can't complain about that, even if I might have dropped it (or replaced it with HitR) if it was up to me, all else being equal.

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    The Invisible Man>Neverland. Asylum Satellite #1>Splintering Heart.
    Apples > oranges? Oranges > apples?

I'm not a fan of This Strange Engine so this might be where my opinion departs from many Marillion fans.
    Among all their 'epic' pieces, that one probably took me the longest time to like. It's really something to hear live, though... probably would have been my second pick for the long song of the set. (That would be after "Interior Lulu"--talk about a minority opinion.)

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post

You can never have too much Marbles as far as I'm concerned, but it did seem a little odd that they'd include so much of it (after touring it the previous time, as you said) while mostly neglecting anything newer. Then again I was thrilled to finally see "The Invisible Man" and "Fantastic Place" in person. Meanwhile the missus loves "Neverland" and said it was the one she knows best, so it made a nice moment for us. I can't complain about that, even if I might have dropped it (or replaced it with HitR) if it was up to me, all else being equal.

Among all their 'epic' pieces, that one probably took me the longest time to like. It's really something to hear live, though... probably would have been my second pick for the long song of the set. (That would be after "Interior Lulu"--talk about a minority opinion.)
    I love Marbles, though I wouldn't rate it as high as most Marillion fans. The first time they played The Invisible Man in 2004 I was absolutely blown away by the performance and how h really dug into the vocal part. Seeing it out of context of the album in 2012 changed it slightly and it was just "another song" at that point. I'm just interested in seeing as much of their catalog as possible, so I often get a bit annoyed when there are so many repeat songs. Chances are nearly everyone at the 2012 show was also at the 2004 show and will also be at the 2016 show. Variety is key! And I'd give anything for the .com version of Lulu - vastly underrated song.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    It's more of a flawed gem in my book... one of those times where they have a nice idea and it's somehow a little off in execution. Maybe it just doesn't need to be quite as sweeping and drawn-out as it is. (While at the same time my favorite is the title track, which is even more sweeping and drawn-out and works like gangbusters. It's the kind of thing I can never explain.) I do like AS#1, just less than most of the remainder of the album.
    Hmm, I love AS#1 the same way I love TIt21C. The guitar solo is fantastic, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    What he means is this: "Some of you have questioned why the prices may be higher than a 'normal' CD - be assured that the money you spent on whichever format you choose (check out the PledgeMusic Page as there are many options), is not just spent buying the music - you are also contributing to a fund that will allow us to tour more extensively and to promote and publicise the album."
    Exactly. I'll sign on to buy the album, but not to help fund the tour. (Didn't participate in the Tour Fund shows either. What was that? 1997?)

Quote Originally Posted by wilcox660 View Post
    My guess is that they'd see assigned seating as a way to have gold & platinum circles that'd leave working people not able to pay 150+ per seat to the back rows.
    That's how I see this going down. Something similar to that.

June 15, 2012:

Asylum Satellite #1
    Cover My Eyes (Pain And Heaven)
    Slainte Mhath
    Fantastic Place
    Somewhere Else
    Power
    Afraid Of Sunlight
    Man Of A Thousand Faces
    Lucky Man
    This Strange Engine
    Neverland
    The Invisible Man
    Easter
    Three Minute Boy

I don't remember the set being that good. I guess I was too focused on Power and Lucky Man as they hadn't been released yet.

Best opener I've ever witnessed was King of Sunset Town (with Hogarth). Can never go wrong with Pseudo Silk Kimono. I'm also partial to Slainthe Mhath (with Fish) too.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    I don't remember the set being that good. I guess I was too focused on Power and Lucky Man as they hadn't been released yet.

Best opener I've ever witnessed was King of Sunset Town (with Hogarth). Can never go wrong with Pseudo Silk Kimono. I'm also partial to Slainthe Mhath (with Fish) too.

We only got "Power" at the Toronto gig of that tour.

Best opener I've seen? Hard to say. "King Of Sunset Town" was great for sure, but "Splintering Heart" was even better. Huge points also for "The Invisible Man" and "Bridge", but then those were the complete Marbles and Brave performances on Marillion Weekend "night 2"s, so in some ways I view them as the 'middle' of one enormous gig. "Splintering Heart" probably gets my vote.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***