Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marillion USA 2016

Marillion USA 2016

Kind of surprised I have not seen this posted here yet, so……

For those of you on Facebook there is a page that was set up a year or two ago called “Marillion – Petition To Come Back To The USA” (or something along those lines). It has just been kind of a wishful thinking thing for the guy who started it, but yesterday Marillion’s manager Lucy posted on it saying that the band was planning to come back to the US in 2016 and they were starting to scout out what cities to target. If you are on Facebook and a Marillion fan you might want to check out this page and leave a comment if you want them to play your area. I know you can't believe everything you see on Facebook, but this all looks legit.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Thanks, Steve. I just asked to join the group, will post once I'm accepted. I would hope NYC is in the bag, but will suggest Tarrytown for the hell of it.

That'd be fantastic if so. Anything the non-fbers can do?

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    That'd be fantastic if so. Anything the non-fbers can do?
    +1.

I have a feeling Toronto won't be on the agenda this time around. Last time it was a dangerously hot day (50 degrees Celsius inside the venue) and the audience was understandably subdued. They've had some bad luck here in the past, with Trewavas getting mugged and some non sellout shows. That's okay though, the Montreal weekends are more than enough marillion for me!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Chicago, please! The only time I've ever seen them live was at Park West about a decade ago (Marbles on the Road tour). Milwaukee would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers.
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

A friend of mine has been trying to talk me into riding up with him to Montreal this year, but I'm not enough of a fan anymore to be doing that so I'll wait for a 2016 date or two in the Northeast.

Marillion has announced that due to the success of their current album preorder campaign, they are definitely coming to North and South America in October 2016!!

Woo-hoo! Haven't seen em since the 2011 Montreal Weekend.

I would love to see them in San Francisco but last time they were here, they were at the Fillmore which is SRO. I'm not going to spend hours in line waiting to get a good position on the floor, and another couple of hours for the concert. Wish they would go to a venue that offers reserved seating

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer's ghost View Post
    Chicago, please! The only time I've ever seen them live was at Park West about a decade ago (Marbles on the Road tour). Milwaukee would be ideal, but beggars can't be choosers.
    Yes please. That coincidentally was also the last show I've seen by them.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Marillion has announced that due to the success of their current album preorder campaign, they are definitely coming to North and South America in October 2016!!

Woo-hoo! Haven't seen em since the 2011 Montreal Weekend.
    According to that email, they pretty much admitted that the pre-order campaign will help finance the tour. It explains why the prices this go'round are a bit higher than normal.

Don't mind pre-ordering the album (decided I'm just going regular this time) but I don't feel much like helping to finance a tour even if I'm buying tickets as soon as Northeast dates are announced. My Marillion super fan days are long gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    According to that email, they pretty much admitted that the pre-order campaign will help finance the tour. It explains why the prices this go'round are a bit higher than normal.

Don't mind pre-ordering the album (decided I'm just going regular this time) but I don't feel much like helping to finance a tour even if I'm buying tickets as soon as Northeast dates are announced. My Marillion super fan days are long gone.
    What do you mean "admitted?" This is from the initial press release when they announced the pre-orders:

"We hope this campaign will raise more money than ever before so that we can fund a marketing campaign deserving of our album across many territories. This campaign will also aim to finance a longer and more impressive tour enabling us to reach more of you with a knockout show production."

Really would love to see them live again. I've never made a Montreal weekend, keeping my fingers crossed

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What do you mean "admitted?" This is from the initial press release when they announced the pre-orders:

"We hope this campaign will raise more money than ever before so that we can fund a marketing campaign deserving of our album across many territories. This campaign will also aim to finance a longer and more impressive tour enabling us to reach more of you with a knockout show production."
    What he means is this: "Some of you have questioned why the prices may be higher than a 'normal' CD - be assured that the money you spent on whichever format you choose (check out the PledgeMusic Page as there are many options), is not just spent buying the music - you are also contributing to a fund that will allow us to tour more extensively and to promote and publicise the album."

Cleveland would be nice, though I know they're going to play any of the stuff I really want to hear them do.

Quote Originally Posted by Prim8Pal View Post
    I would love to see them in San Francisco but last time they were here, they were at the Fillmore which is SRO. I'm not going to spend hours in line waiting to get a good position on the floor, and another couple of hours for the concert. Wish they would go to a venue that offers reserved seating
    Actually the standing vs sitting topic was quite the debate on the Facebook page recently. In fact Lucy may have even asked the direct question if I remember correctly. As always there were a lot of people on both sides of the fence. I still like to stand during shows, but with my wonderfully arthritic knees it is getting harder and harder to stand for hours and hours.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Actually the standing vs sitting topic was quite the debate on the Facebook page recently.
    Not surprising. IIRC it was a big topic on PE when the 2012 tour first came up. Maybe it's easy to say since I'm not too much of a geezer yet, but this is the kind of show that works better for a standing room.

thankfully the NA tour is leaning to October (I'm getting married 9/24).

Great news, I'll go see them as much as I can, it's pretty much a given that they'll play Los Angeles and San Francisco. It looks like after years of "No, no, no, we're not going to ask the fans to fund another US tour like they did in 2007" that they changed their minds.

Define "good position on the floor". If by that you mean "Standing at the very front so I can put my arms on the stage", sure, getting there early will help. However, I've learned my lesson, there's no need to show up hours and hours early for a GA show (even less so for assigned seating, of course). I was at the Fillmore show, a lot of people sat on the floor or in the public spaces during the downtime and once the opening act finished it filled up. As I'd been to the two previous shows in West Hollywood (RIP House of Blues WeHo), I knew generally what time they'd go on, I showed up 15 minutes before that and was halfway back on the floor, it wasn't crowded at all. I prefer to stand by the soundboard if possible, mileage may vary.

Still, I wouldn't mind if they played theaters, there's some cool ones that have opened in downtown Los Angeles in the last few years, that would work. Hopefully I'll get to hear Out of This World live at least once in my Marillion concertgoing.
    ...or you could love

Just hoping that they can come to the Philly area, and that they don't play the TLA again - I hate standing like that.

They should be big enough now to play the Keswick, I'd think.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    They should be big enough now to play the Keswick, I'd think.
    I don't remember offhand what the capacity is, but it's interesting to picture them at the Trocadero--more gritty than the TLA, but there'd be both standing room and seating for those that want 'em.

A second nod for The Trocadero. I saw The Orb there last year. If you want to stand, you have the whole first floor. If you would like to sit, you have the whole balcony. It's the best of both worlds.

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Playstation Theater NYC?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    Playstation Theater NYC?
    Yes, I really hope they don't end up back at Irving Plaza. God, that is the shittiest place to see a show.

(I had to look up what a Playstation Theater was. It was still the Best Buy when I saw Wilson there what, two months ago. I still call it the Nokia Theater).

I know I'm old and lazy, but Marillion at the [whatever 1515 Broadway is called in October 2016] with assigned seating would be a dream come true for me.