Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Sanguine Hum - Now We Have Light Promo

IS this really a difficult album though? Fan of it, don't get me wrong, strong spacey and melodic sensibilities...but i think releases on Cuneiform, maybe H. Kaiser's recent Celestial Squid for example, is where you should go if you want challenging releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Haruspex Carnage View Post
    IS this really a difficult album though? Fan of it, don't get me wrong, strong spacey and melodic sensibilities...but i think releases on Cuneiform, maybe H. Kaiser's recent Celestial Squid for example, is where you should go if you want challenging releases?
    As for "rehearsal-intensive" and over-the-top complex progressive rock music, Cuneiform and much of what AltrOck (or Skin Graft, some Rune Grammofon or Tzadik or Ipecac or whatever) are releasing form the very epicenter of enterprises, yes - definitely. What I mean is that Sanguine Hum's music has a veneer of the "apparent" about it, as in "what we know already yet still appears so strangely refreshing"; much due to their rather refined and broader scope of influences than just the usual suspects, I believe. This implies that many a listener who's maybe thoroughly accustomed to the 'post-Porcupine' wave though perhaps not all too experienced with more "out" approaches may have a starter's outlet with SH.

But no, I personally don't find them a "difficult" listen - and yet I still love their music.
    Last edited by Scrotum Scissor; 03-30-2015 at 02:33 PM.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM