Thread: Alan Bown, RIP

Alan Bown, RIP

Haven't read anythng here about Alan Bown's passing last December. The British trumpet player was 72.
    He's better known for leading his own R&B and later Jazz-rock brass band, The Alan Bown Set (later known only as The Alan Bown), which recorded several albums in the late sixties and early seventies.
    Jess Roden and Robert Palmer where the band's singers during succeeding versions of the band, which recorded two excellent sort of proto-prog album -Stretching out and Listen- during its later stages.
    Afterwards Bown joined prog band Jonesy for their second and third albums (and their fifth, and unheralded reunion a few years back) but eventually began working full time for a record company.

RIP. Always dug the s/t LP on Deram.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

RIP
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

RIP

Haven't heard much of his activities in a very long while....

If I remember, Supertramp's Dougie Thompson and John Helliwell also played on some of his albums....
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

RIP

I must confess I didn't know the man's work, apart from Jonesy, until I got some Esoteric promo's from 2010 (Listen and Stretching Out), although I knew the cover from the latter one from one of the first Hipgnosis-books.

Have many of his recordings... Very, very sad.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS