Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most Beautiful Song Ever Written

Suspended
    No sniggers please - I reckon Unchained Melody is up there in the same league as songs like Ave Maria. Just imagine someone like Maria Callas rendering it in classical operatic style.

My Mom use to sing Nature Boy to me--it has a special place in my heart----it is beautiful.
    Also, Mad Man moon, Soon, Turn of the Century, and some of those Pavarroti hits

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    "Guenivere"(sp?) Donovan
    There are two songs called Guinivere (possibly with spelling variants), the one by Donovan, and the one by Crosby, Stills & Nash. Both are beautiful

The melody that is embedded in my head ever since I was 3 or 4:

Rachmaninoff's 18th Variation on a theme by Paganini (a/k/a The Story Of Three Loves).

Chills every time.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Still alive and well...

Well if you guys can post "theme from a summer place" then I can post this one. It might even be a bit too "beautiful."

Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Where's Gallagher with his sledgehammer?

"So Long Ago, So Clear', sung by Jon Anderson, at the end of side one of Vangelis' "Heaven and Hell", does it for me.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well if you guys can post "theme from a summer place" then I can post this one. It might even be a bit too "beautiful."]
    I much prefer Love Is Blue to Theme From a Summer Place. In fact the former was one of the first singles I bought

Well if you guys can post "theme from a summer place" then I can post this one.
    You can, but did you have to?

If beauty is subjective, ugly is too. And apparently there can be a fine line between the two.

Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    If beauty is subjective, ugly is too. And apparently there can be a fine line between the two.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vofbnkQcW_Q

I've always been very fond of '...Summer Place' ever since hearing it being used regularly on a radio station I listened to about 15/16 years ago, but not knowing then what it was called (it was that Simpsons joke posted above where I found out the title!). I think it's probably the best record of its type- instrumental easy listening. There's something about that record which elevates it way above 'muzak' for me- I can't put my finger on what it is.

'Love Is Blue' never made that much impression on me either way.

You can, but did you have to?

Well Jeff Beck did a version of it too so you might want to check that one out before getting too bent out of shape.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

You know another odd choice that I consider one of the most beautiful songs ever written is Robert Wyatt's "Sea Song" -- you look different every time you come from the foam crested brine...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2steves View Post
    My Mom use to sing Nature Boy to me--it has a special place in my heart----it is beautiful.
    Also, Mad Man moon, Soon, Turn of the Century, and some of those Pavarroti hits
    Wow, how many octaves were in her range?

Well Jeff Beck did a version of it too so you might want to check that one out before getting too bent out of shape.
    Jeff Beck did "Love is Blue?" When? I'm pretty sure it's not on any of his albums.

Me, bent out of shape? Nah, it takes a whole lot more than a difference in musical tastes for that to happen.

But to me, there's a difference between beauty and schmaltz. Now I'm bracing myself for someone to mention "Sunrise, Sunset" or "The Anniversary Waltz."

But don't mind me; carry on...

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Well if you guys can post "theme from a summer place" then I can post this one.

Fast forward to the :55 point.

Paul Horn's Earth Song with a choir is a beauty

I like this one by Ennio Morricone

Jeff Beck did "Love is Blue?" When? I'm pretty sure it's not on any of his albums.
    Never mind, I found it. A single from 1968.

Last week I said in a thread here, "It's Jeff Beck; he can do anything he wants!" I guess the gods are testing me.

Now I'm bracing myself for someone to mention "Sunrise, Sunset" or "The Anniversary Waltz."

Never mind, I found it. A single from 1968.

Last week I said in a thread here, "It's Jeff Beck; he can do anything he wants!" I guess the gods are testing me.
    I didn't know he released it as a single. I know there is a live version of it on youtube though. The gods are testing you. That's funny. It's interesting how one person can think something sounds nice while someone else finds it annoying. I'm not trying to change your mind or anything but I think you should at least listen to the Jeff Beck version(preferably the live one if you can find it on youtube).

[Fast forward to the :55 point. ]

Cool that someone brought this up. I think "theme from a Wooly Place" might be the first ever mashup track. It's from the Tubes' "love bomb" album. I've always kind of dug it. It's an oddball for sure but so is about half of that album particularly that one side where all the songs flow into each other("Eyes,""night people" etc).