Thread: AAJ Review: Chris Potter Undergound Orchestra, Imaginary Cities

AAJ Review: Chris Potter Undergound Orchestra, Imaginary Cities

My review of Chris Potter Undergound Orchestra's Imaginary Cities, today at All About Jazz.

While he is, perhaps, best-known as a reed and woodwind multi-instrumentalist of tremendous power and versatility--the torch-bearer and logical successor, even, to the late, great Michael Brecker--Chris Potter has also demonstrated remarkable breadth as a bandleader and composer. It's hard to imagine that it's been only 23 years since the 44 year-old first came onto the scene with Red Rodney and began a career as a leader soon after with Presenting Chris Potter (Criss Cross, 1994)--the first of what is, with the release of Imaginary Cities, a substantial discography now numbering 18.

But for every hard-blowing session like Lift: Live at the Village Vanguard (Sunnyside, 2004) there's been a Song for Anyone (Sunnyside, 2007), a broad-minded recording for string trio, woodwinds trio and guitar-based rhythm section; and for every incendiary studio blowing date like Critical Mass (Dare2, 2006), with Dave Holland's longstanding quintet, there's Transatlantic (Red Dot, 2011), an ambitious large ensemble date with Denmark's DR Big Band.

Still, Potter's career took a major leap forward when he debuted his first album as a leader for Munich's venerable ECM Records. The Sirens (2013), where he deserted the electric energy of his relatively longstanding Underground group for an all- acoustic quintet date that, in its inclusion of two keyboardists--Underground's Craig Taborn, here solely on acoustic piano, and David Virelles, a relative newcomer to the scene, on prepared piano, celeste and harmonium--was ongoing evidence of Potter's drive to think and work outside the box.

And so, with Imaginary Cities, Potter continues to push the envelope, this time reconvening his Underground group with guitarist Adam Rogers, Craig Taborn and Holland band mate/drummer Nate Smith...but this time expanding it into the 11-piece Underground Orchestra with the addition of another Holland alum, mallet player Steve Nelson, two bassists and a string quartet led by Mark Feldman, whose What Exit (ECM, 2006) remains a career high point deserving of a follow-up.

Continue reading here...

Thanks for posting!

Sounds like something I just might find interesting....

Good Day All

Chris Buckley

For unreasonable reasons I cant explain, I have never been crazy about saxophone (with a few exceptions)- but - many years ago I went to a Chris Potter gig in Copenhagen with his band consisting of Wayne Krantz and and Craig Taborn (cant remember bassist & drummer's name) but it was just fantastic and Potters solos impressed me even more than Wayne Krantz, whom I'm a great fan of.
    This particular band never made an album afaik.

It was likely an incarnation of his Underground band....I saw that line up, but without Krantz--it was Adam Rogers, and Fima Ephron was on bass, though normally they don't have a bassist. I think it was .....Eric Harland? on drums. Anyway, killer show, and Chris just killed me. He is like a bottomless well of insanely off-the-cuff melodic ideas.

Maybe it was Nate Smith on drums, I can't recall.....

>This particular band never made an album afaik.

Actually, Potter's first Underground has that exact band: Taborn, Smith, Krantz and Adam Rogers. Good stuff

And i must check out this latest one, John. Thanks as always for the excellent review!

Kim
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by wideopenears View Post
    It was likely an incarnation of his Underground band....I saw that line up, but without Krantz--it was Adam Rogers, and Fima Ephron was on bass, though normally they don't have a bassist. I think it was .....Eric Harland? on drums. Anyway, killer show, and Chris just killed me. He is like a bottomless well of insanely off-the-cuff melodic ideas.
    Scott Colley has also subbed on bass for the unavailable Taborn at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    >This particular band never made an album afaik.

Actually, Potter's first Underground has that exact band: Taborn, Smith, Krantz and Adam Rogers. Good stuff

And i must check out this latest one, John. Thanks as always for the excellent review!

Kim
    Thanks, as always, for the kind words, Kim

I think you'll love this. I've no idea how Potter just keeps on getting better and better...but he does. And his moving to ECM and collaborating with Eicher has, imo, only done him even better.

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    Actually, Potter's first Underground has that exact band: Taborn, Smith, Krantz and Adam Rogers.
    Uh...there's a record out there with Chris Potter, Craig Taborn, and Wayne Krantz? And it's not in my collection???

To Amazon I go...

NP: D'Angelo Black Messiah

Quote Originally Posted by Wounded Land View Post
    Uh...there's a record out there with Chris Potter, Craig Taborn, and Wayne Krantz? And it's not in my collection???

To Amazon I go...

NP: D'Angelo Black Messiah
    It's very good. Krantz is as tasty as ever too. The album is called "Chris Potter - Underground". Go get it now

Btw, Krantz's most recent "Good Pirhana, Bad Pirhana" kicks some serious ass too. A smoking set.

K
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Loved The Sirens and still listening to it regularly. Can't wait to hear this.