Page 75 of 129 FirstFirst ... 256571727374757677787985125 ... LastLast
Results 1,851 to 1,875 of 3205

Thread: The Audiophile Thread

Wow. I just checked the Hoffman forum. Their thread on it has hit the ten pages mark.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Dang, they make good stuff. My player is almost ready for retirement and I was thinking of a new Oppo.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Guess people really are buying more LPs than CDs/DVDs/BRs...
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Guess people really are buying more LPs than CDs/DVDs/BRs...
    They're making vinyl bootlegs again too.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    They're making vinyl bootlegs again too.
    In the late 70s/early 80s, Upper Cuts in South Carolina was the place - $5 per single LP, $10 per double. Still have a bunch.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    Wow. I just checked the Hoffman forum. Their thread on it has hit the ten pages mark.
    Fourteen pages now. At only 8 pages, the Power Cord Burn-In thread has a ways to catch up!

I'm saddened by OPPO shutting its doors. My BDP-95 is still going strong and I have no immediate plans to upgrade it.

Banned
    The latest Oppos were way too ambitious with too much integrated in the box. I just don’t see the need for integrated DACs.

Banned
    Additionally, several processors do everything you need including advanced room correction before advanced DAC. My Sony UBP Player with HDMI outputs and my Pioneer 902 Elite receiver, plays it all.

Went to Axpona this past weekend. Never been to one of those before, a bit overwhelming, esp since our buddy that drove was itching to get home. Highlights for me were Neat Iota Xplorer speakers, a gem of a British company, and sound fantastic, very wide sound stage. Cambridge UK had their new Edge line and that was another show-stopper for me. Some cool throw-backs included the JBL L100 speakers and the Technics SL1200. Also saw an electro-static vinyl cleaner from Isonic for just about $700. Tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Highlights for me were Neat Iota Xplorer speakers
    They look pretty damn basic.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    They look pretty damn basic.

They were designed for a specific use, to be put right against the wall, and take up very little room. For an apartment dweller on a budget, they are quite impressive.

And they are not exactly basic. They use a quite advanced AMT, a very high quality mid, and an internally mounted, isobaric downfiring woofer.

The inductors are and caps are all high quality (Mundorf, Audaphon, Clarity Cap).

They produce a very wide and deep soundstage, and are quite detailed (that AMT tweeter).
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    And they are not exactly basic. They use a quite advanced AMT, a very high quality mid, and an internally mounted, isobaric downfiring woofer.
    Website says two internal 170mm (6.69") woofers, same size as the full-range speaker on the top. I'll take your word on the soundstage. The design doesn't look very promising though.

Website says two internal 170mm (6.69") woofers, same size as the full-range speaker on the top. I'll take your word on the soundstage. The design doesn't look very promising though.
    They sounded amazing. Will audition them again at a local dealer. "Hearing is believing!"
    Last edited by strawberrybrick; 04-16-2018 at 10:54 PM.

Not disagreeing. I hope they sound as good at the dealers as they did at Axpona. And if you buy a pair, I hope they sound as good in your living room.

How they sound is the only thing that matters.

Not disagreeing. I hope they sound as good at the dealers as they did at Axpona. And if you buy a pair, I hope they sound as good in your living room.

How they sound is the only thing that matters.
    Not on the purchase list anytime soon, but yes, my trepidation with all speakers is how they will sound in my space. Nothing else matters.

Quote Originally Posted by simon moon View Post
    They use a quite advanced AMT, a very high quality mid, and an internally mounted, isobaric downfiring woofer.
    "Isobaric" is a term I've never heard used on speaker systems before. I'm assuming they're just using a $10 word for "acoustic suspension"?

Banned
    "Isobaric" is a term I've never heard used on speaker systems before. I'm assuming they're just using a $10 word for "acoustic suspension"?
    Isobaric is a misnomer. Isobaric means constant pressure which is inherently false for a transducer which produces sound by varying sound pressure.

Maybe it's an all-weather speaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    Isobaric is a misnomer. Isobaric means constant pressure which is inherently false for a transducer which produces sound by varying sound pressure.
    The second speaker is in a sealed chamber, and moves in unison with the first. Thus, pressure is constant.

In the real world we call that a "passive radiator."

My Definitives have a passive radiator, but it's not the same thing as isobaric. Passive's have no magnet or electronics.

If the second woofer has a magnet and electronics, it's not moving "in unison with" the first woofer, it's a second driven woofer. And with two driven woofers, your pressure isn't going to be constant.

And a "sealed chamber" means acoustic suspension.

But nevermind, it doesn't matter.

If the second woofer has a magnet and electronics, it's not moving "in unison with" the first woofer, it's a second driven woofer. And with two driven woofers, your pressure isn't going to be constant.

And a "sealed chamber" means acoustic suspension.

But nevermind, it doesn't matter.
    Well, read up on isobaric. it was invented by the same guy (Harry Olson) that invented many of the other terms you mention, and it's been around since the 50s.

I can call a turd a “flapdoodle” if I want but it’s still a turd. Or as someone mentioned to me two days ago, “a turd rolled in glitter is still a turd.”

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    An isobaric woofer alignment refers to two woofer's mounted face-to-face, wired in parallel and in phase opposition so that both woofers move the same direction. This allows for an enclosure about half the recommended enclosure volume for low frequency resonance. You also get the benefit of a push-pull configuration (where odd order harmonics are cancelled) but at cost to lower efficiency (even though you're cutting impedance in half and using two woofers) You usually see isobaric alignments in car subwoofer applications.