Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis -2 Hour BBC Radio Show

Genesis -2 Hour BBC Radio Show

I don't recall spotting this on this forum, but there was recently an excellent 2-hour interview with Genesis on BBC Radio.

"Johnnie Walker Meets Genesis" http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b04xt5vr

It has an unusual selection of tracks played. I mean, when was the last time For Absent Friends played on the UK's most listened to radio station??!!

Those outside the UK will probably need some sort of IP filter to access it.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    >> Those outside the UK will probably need some sort of IP filter to access it.

Screw you, Auntie!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    >> Those outside the UK will probably need some sort of IP filter to access it.

Screw you, Auntie!
    Are you up-to-date with your TV license fee payments?

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    Are you up-to-date with your TV license fee payments?
    If I lived in the UK I'd have a tv but not pay those fees. Screw the pretender to the throne!
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-04-2015 at 10:14 AM.

Hmmm, I'm able to listen to it just fine (just click the icon on the main photo).
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

That big cuddly orangutan only kidding...

He already has software to hide his ip address when he's 'spanking the monkey'....

If I lived in the UK I'd have a tv but not pay those fees. Screw the pretender to the throne!
    That's would get you a day in court.
    The license fee is mandatory for watching/listening to any live TV/Radio, BBC or any other in the UK.
    Hence the IP block outside the UK.

It's worth it just for the wealth of BBC radio stations IMO, though most is spent on the populist BBC One TV.

That's would get you a day in court.
    The license fee is mandatory for watching/listening to any live TV/Radio, BBC or any other in the UK.
    Hence the IP block outside the UK.

It's worth it just for the wealth of BBC radio stations IMO, though most is spent on the populist BBC One TV.
    Do they come to peoples' houses to find out if they have a TV or radio? I was just kidding, of course, I love BBC, but I've always wondered how this was enforced, since there ARE people who don't have a TV.

Do they come to peoples' houses to find out if they have a TV or radio? I was just kidding, of course, I love BBC, but I've always wondered how this was enforced, since there ARE people who don't have a TV.
    From what I've heard, people without TVs are generally regarded as 'guilty till proved innocent'.

Thanks for sharing. I'll listen to it later.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Halmyre View Post
    From what I've heard, people without TVs are generally regarded as 'guilty till proved innocent'.
    Yeah, I never heard of a law that says you have to own a tv. That's ridiculous regardless of what country you live in. Today I'm guessing fewer people, especially younger people, have one since they view a lot of stuff online that could normally be viewed on tv.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

In short, Yes. It hardly bears thinking too deeply about it, but they have a database of all addresses and license-fee payers, and actively bully the non-payers to convert. Anyone buying a TV has to give-up their address (to agree with their payment card), so they hunt them down. It's for the house-holder to prove they do not watch live TV, which means no connection to an aerial/satellite/cable/etc. The BBC is funded from the license fee collections, but does not collect it. At present, the fee is around GBP145 per annum, which provides the country's most popular TV channel - BBC One, numerous other TV and Radio channels, and all commercial free (except for their own self-promotion). This system is not universally popular, and does not offer discount to those with low incomes, but a large minority or modest majority support this method of financing a commercial-free broadcaster.

Apparently BBC claims to have TV detector vans, but it's disputed if they really do or not.

They should just send out the Child Catcher from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang.

Apparently BBC claims to have TV detector vans
    The "Looney Detector" van, you mean.

(Hoping someone gets it)
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

^
    If you're calling the author of 'A La Recherche de Temps Perdu' a looney, I shall have to ask you to step outside!
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

^
    It's people like you what cause unrest
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Or maybe just the child molester from Buckingham Palace.

^ What were we talking about?

I know there's a tv here somewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff O'Donoghue View Post
    ^
    It's people like you what cause unrest
    Are all your TVs called Eric?
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Apparently BBC claims to have TV detector vans, but it's disputed if they really do or not.

They did (it was an agency, not the BBC), when all TVs were CRTs and you could park a van outside on the street with a detector.
    I think that method died when less-leaky digital flat-screens took over.
    Now they just bully with letters and knocks on the door!
    Last edited by jcarr73729; 01-05-2015 at 02:05 AM. Reason: missing info

They did (it was an agency, not the BBC), when all TVs were CRTs and you could park a van outside on the street with a detector.
    I think that method died when less-leaky digital flat-screens took over.
    Now they just bully with letters and knocks on the door!
    I've never believed that the TV Detector Van was anything other than a scare tactic. Yes, there are plenty of witnesses who have seen inside and it's really full of high-tech gear and they know someone who worked in it and he could pinpoint the location of a TV to within an inch AND tell which channel you were watching...

So they suspect anyone who isn't paying the tax. They can't go by purchases of TVs because people do buy them as gifts. And what if someone's tv is kept in a cabinet. That's what we had when I grew up - you wouldn't know there was a tv without opening it. So they'd need a search warrant if they wanted to find it.

I wonder how aggressive they would be? Again, I *WISH* American TV were overall as good as BBC so I'm sure it's well worth the tax. I'd just love to read though about how collection is implemented and if it's done fairly.

Remember kids, when the TV detector man appears....

So, at the risk of spoiling the thread, what does anyone think about the Genesis documentary ?