Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wendy Carlos back catalog status?

My wife found me a nice bootleg of all the unused Shining music 15 years ago - its great. Sonic Seasonings is the only cd I have otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    The vinyl however is a plentiful... and usually only a few bucks or so.
    Yeah, if one can find the LP editions of Sonic Seasonings or Walter Carlos' A Clockwork Orange (with that ridiculous "collage" album cover, which she says she never liked in the liner notes of the ESD CD, which is why she changed it for the reissue) in good condition and at a better price than the CD's, they're definitely worth having.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Walter Carlos' A Clockwork Orange (with that ridiculous "collage" album cover, which she says she never liked in the liner notes of the ESD CD, which is why she changed it for the reissue)
    What's ridiculous about it? I think it's pretty good, and infinitely preferable to the lame parody of the WB soundtrack cover used on the reissue.

I agree.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    If you can ever find the Wendy Carlos' A Clockwork Orange CD, I would strongly suggest you buy it. I'm talking about the soundtrack album that Warner Bros (who released the movie) put out, but the album that was released by Columbia (which was Wendy's record company at the time) put out.

The CD reissue, on ESD, has a couple bonus tracks, and basically comprises all the music she recorded for the movie, much of which Kubrick didn't use (she laments on the CD liner notes that Kubrick, like many directors, sometimes ended up not using stuff that was composed specifically for the film because he'd get locked into the idea that the temp track that he had chosen was "the only way to go", which apparently is why there's so much orchestral music in A Clockwork Orange). It includes the full unedited version of Timesteps (only a short excerpt was used in the actual movie, and therefore only that excerpt appears on the Warners soundtrack release).

Anyway, A Clockwork Orange is one of the synthesizer records, as far as I'm concerned. It's also one of the first instances, if not the first, of a vocoder being used for musical purposes, on Timesteps and the Ode To Joy excerpt. Anyone who digs synths should hear this album.
    I've been looking for this for many years. Not an easy CD to locate.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    What's ridiculous about it? I think it's pretty good, and infinitely preferable to the lame parody of the WB soundtrack cover used on the reissue.
    Well, clearly Wendy wasn't happy with the original cover, which is why the "lame" parody cover was used on the reissue. I happen to prefer the reissue cover.

To me the original artwork would have been impressive if it had been done by a fifth grader or someone like that, but it wasn't. It was (theoretically, at least) designed by an adult, who was being paid good money by the art department of one of the biggest record companies in the world to design album cover artwork.

Re: A Clockwork Orange reissue

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    It was very easy to get when ESD first released it. How easy? I stumbled across it and Sonic Seasonings at Borders. I don't think I had known they were being reissued prior to that. That had to have been sometime around 98 or 99. I remember staying up til dawn, literally, one night, reading all the stuff on her website.

The vinyl however is a plentiful... and usually only a few bucks or so.
    Hell yes! Plenty to choose from too!

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-Kubric...work+orange+cd

As mentioned in my previous post on the topic, the soundtrack album to the movie A Clockwork Orange and the Wendy Carlos album are two almost completely different things. The soundtrack album only has a few of the pieces that she recorded for the film's score, and Timesteps appears in a severely truncated form. Also, I believe she mentioned somewhere that the sound quality on the soundtrack album was comprised due to the manner in which Warners derived the music (I've forgotten the details, but it had something to do with the music being derived from the film's optical print or something like that).

This is the album we were talking about:

http://www.amazon.com/Clockwork-Oran...ockwork+Orange

"Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Yeah, that's the LP edition. Wendy said in the liner notes of the CD reissue she was never happy with the cover Columbia came up with, so when they did the reissue she had something different put together, which was used on the version in the Amazon link I posted.

Well, clearly Wendy wasn't happy with the original cover, which is why the "lame" parody cover was used on the reissue. I happen to prefer the reissue cover.

To me the original artwork would have been impressive if it had been done by a fifth grader or someone like that, but it wasn't. It was (theoretically, at least) designed by an adult, who was being paid good money by the art department of one of the biggest record companies in the world to design album cover artwork.
    Actually, Wendy calls it "clever and well executed," despite the fact that she and Rachel "were never too fond" of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Proglodite View Post
    BUT - just because copies are listed/offered at such high prices, does not mean they are actually SELLING at these prices. --Peter
    Indeed, here are some recent confirmed sale prices on Discogs:

Order Date Condition Sleeve Condition Price in your currency Price
    2014-08-19 Near Mint (NM or M-) Near Mint (NM or M-) CA$91.35 51.00 GBP
    2014-04-08 Near Mint (NM or M-) Near Mint (NM or M-) CA$141.50 79.00 GBP
    2014-01-07 Near Mint (NM or M-) Near Mint (NM or M-) CA$98.32 70.00 Euro
    2014-01-05 Near Mint (NM or M-) Near Mint (NM or M-) CA$107.47 60.00 GBP
    2013-11-25 Very Good (VG) Very Good (VG) CA$105.34 75.00 Euro
    2013-08-22 Near Mint (NM or M-) Very Good Plus (VG+) CA$177.39 149.99 USD
    2013-06-22 Near Mint (NM or M-) Very Good Plus (VG+) CA$118.24 99.98 USD

Two are currently for sale at asking prices of 200 Euros and 135 GBP.

That original "Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange" album cover art was GREAT. I absolutely prefer it over the lame reissue cartoon. And it matched the claustrophobic feel of Kubrick's film much closer than Philip Castle's airbrushed cover/poster (same artist who did "Manzanera/801/Listen Now" cover art)

One could argue that Wendy isn't exactly the best judge of aesthetics...

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    "Every body needs MILK!"

(Or should I say "Every droogy needs moloko"?)

Quote Originally Posted by DGuitarist View Post
    That original "Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange" album cover art was GREAT. I absolutely prefer it over the lame reissue cartoon. And it matched the claustrophobic feel of Kubrick's film much closer than Philip Castle's airbrushed cover/poster (same artist who did "Manzanera/801/Listen Now" cover art)

One could argue that Wendy isn't exactly the best judge of aesthetics...
    She might also have wanted to distance herself and the album from "Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange," ya think???

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    She might also have wanted to distance herself and the album from "Walter Carlos' Clockwork Orange," ya think???
    No, it was nothing to do with that. She could simply have changed the name without changing the artwork, as in fact she did: the original cover still appears on the back of the CD booklet with the name revised to Wendy. Now the By Request album, on the other hand: there was no way she was going to keep that original cover, what with the caricature of her in her male persona, complete with the phony sideburns she used to wear in publicity pictures.

walter_carlos-by_requst.jpg

She never felt the need to distance herself from the Switched-On Bach cover that was originally released as Walter Carlos. One of the all-time great covers, that was. I personally like the original Clockwork Orange cover. The replacement was a terrible attempt to ape the look of the film's artwork.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I can't find the thread that had some more recent discussion of the Wendy Carlos albums on CD, so using this:

Renate, I sent you a Private Message about some Wendy Carlos CDs I might be able to help you out with - check your messages if interested.

I bought most of the ESD releases back in the late 90s? Or early 2000s?..and they were readily available then.

Overtime they become scarce and rare at high prices. The unavailability of her music on YouTube I find curious. For example..if you wanted to get a sample of a specific album and it's not there to be found.

I get the obvious impression that she is deeply disappointed by something. Whatever she disliked about the industry may have given her a reasoning to pull the plug, ( so to speak), and not all of those details on a existing confrontation between her and associates has surfaced through the publications industry. ...so it's a little baffling in some ways.

The fact is she is an innovator and a genius at composition to a lot of people in the world. She's also a very important person in the history of Electronic Music..so yeah..people will wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Enidi View Post
    I bought most of the ESD releases back in the late 90s? Or early 2000s?..and they were readily available then.

Overtime they become scarce and rare at high prices. The unavailability of her music on YouTube I find curious. For example..if you wanted to get a sample of a specific album and it's not there to be found.

I get the obvious impression that she is deeply disappointed by something. Whatever she disliked about the industry may have given her a reasoning to pull the plug, ( so to speak), and not all of those details on a existing confrontation between her and associates has surfaced through the publications industry. ...so it's a little baffling in some ways.

The fact is she is an innovator and a genius at composition to a lot of people in the world. She's also a very important person in the history of Electronic Music..so yeah..people will wonder.
    One can only guess about her motives. The YouTube thing may have something to do with publishingrights. Her disappearance might have something to do with not wanting to be reminded on a part of her past, which always will be mentioned if is about her. I suppose one Playboy interview goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    One can only guess about her motives. The YouTube thing may have something to do with publishingrights. Her disappearance might have something to do with not wanting to be reminded on a part of her past, which always will be mentioned if is about her.
    Yeah it's not hard to guess. She's been screwed over by her labels and screwed over by the press and screwed over by an unauthorized biography and all of her stuff is out of print now so she gets no royalties anymore. The "new reality" of digital online distribution is not really to her liking and her lawyers spend a lot of time protecting her copyrights from infringers.

It's sad her music is so hard to find, and so expensive when found but that's where we are.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Yeah it's not hard to guess. She's been screwed over by her labels and screwed over by the press and screwed over by an unauthorized biography and all of her stuff is out of print now so she gets no royalties anymore. The "new reality" of digital online distribution is not really to her liking and her lawyers spend a lot of time protecting her copyrights from infringers.

It's sad her music is so hard to find, and so expensive when found but that's where we are.
    Alas it's a reality she has to deal with. I can't blame her that she doesn't want to. On the other hand she might serve as a kind of role model for people like her. But well things were hard in the 80s, so I'm sure they were even harder in the 70s, so I don't blame her she wants to leave that past behind and burried.