Thread: Portlandia

Portlandia

I'd only ever heard of this show until a specialty channel I'm subscribed to ran an all-day Portlandia marathon yesterday. I ended up watching over 3hrs worth of shows throughout the day. I found it to be one of the funnier, more original sketch comedy shows from America that I had seen in a long time. I've never been to Portland but Montreal has it's own collection of oddballs and pseudo-bourgeois eccentric types; enabling me to fully get/laugh at the various recurring characters...

Any fans?

Here's a sample:

Last edited by Yves; 01-02-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

How about the time their air conditioner broke:

It's quite good.

In other related news, Sleater Kinney is getting together for another tour and album.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/01/04/ar...ites.html?_r=0
    I wonder if they'll put a bird on it . . .
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

I am not a regular viewer, but have caught the show from time to time and always thought it was funny. It is one of those shows that every time I see it I think, I need to start DVR’ing this, and then I forget about it and don’t do it. I always liked Armison when he was on Saturday Night Live. Along with his acting he also did a lot of writing for the show.

A lot of people don’t know it, but prior to SNL Armison was the drummer for the band Trenchmouth out out of Chicago. They were pretty big on the Midwest punk / hard rock club circuit for a while. He also played with Blue Man Group in Chicago. The guy is a very diverse talent.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I am not a regular viewer, but have caught the show from time to time and always thought it was funny. It is one of those shows that every time I see it I think, I need to start DVR’ing this, and then I forget about it and don’t do it. I always liked Armison when he was on Saturday Night Live. Along with his acting he also did a lot of writing for the show.

A lot of people don’t know it, but prior to SNL Armison was the drummer for the band Trenchmouth out out of Chicago. They were pretty big on the Midwest punk / hard rock club circuit for a while. He also played with Blue Man Group in Chicago. The guy is a very diverse talent.
    Armisen (when he isn't busy w/Portlandia) is playing rhythm guitar in the band on Late Night with Seth Myers, his old pal.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    The shows ok. It's like a decent SNL skit driven into the ground. They jump the shark a lot but at it's best it's endearing.

I don't watch TV, but every time I see a clip from this show, it amazes me just how well they hit the mark. Portland really is that unhinged.

Yves, have you checked out Parks & Recreation? I think you'd like it.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Definitely not the type of humor I find humorous. An occasional chuckle, but certainly not enough to give me the desire to watch more.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I couldn't get into this show. It's partly that I didn't think it was that funny, but also that I quickly got tired of the sketch based format. Maybe I should give it another try.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Yves, have you checked out Parks & Recreation? I think you'd like it.
    Another show I've heard of but never watched. I don't think it plays on any channel I subscribe to.

P&R is on NBC broadcast TV isn't it?

Is it? I have never even seen it advertised. That's how much NBC I watch.

I think P&R is on Hulu as well.
    <sig out of order>

All the P&R I have watched is on DVD season collections. Think I made it up to season 4. Its pretty funny.

Parks and Recreation is sort of like The Office in that it hits its stride with the first episode of the second season, The Pawnee Zoo.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart