Thread: Classic Rock's Readers poll 'Top 10 'Rock albums 2014'

Classic Rock's Readers poll 'Top 10 'Rock albums 2014'

I too would have voted for Rival Sons!!!!

Long Beach rockers beat out Aussie veterans AC/DC as Slash comes in third
    You came, you saw, you voted. And after all the calculations were calculated, Great Western Valkyrie was your album of the year, just as it was our album of the year. Thanks to everyone who took the time to take part.

In the end, three albums dominated. While each of the 50 titles available for selection received support, the top three — which were well ahead of the pack — gathered over a third of the votes submitted. Here's the Top Ten, in reverse order.

10. Mastodon - Once More Round The Sun

9. Opeth - Pale Communion

8. Robert Plant - Lullaby And…The Ceaseless Roar

7. H.E.A.T. - Tearing Down The Walls

6. Blues Pills - Blues Pills

5. Judas Priest - Redeemer Of Souls

4. Wilko Johnson and Roger Daltrey - Going Back Home

3. Slash Featuring Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators - World On Fire

2. AC/DC - Rock Or Bust

1. Rival Sons - Great Western Valkyrie

It's been some year for Rival Sons. They ended 2014 playing bigger venues than they were at the beginning, and some of these gigs have truly felt like stepping stones to greater things. They've done Letterman. They've done Jools Holland. At the Classic Rock Roll Of Honour show, where an audience of music's great and good arose as one to give the band a standing ovation after their short set, it felt like a real moment, a passing of rock's flaming torch. And the weird thing is that you'll struggle to find anyone who believes that Great Western Valkyrie will reflect the band at their peak. There's a lot more to come.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Never even heard of Rival Sons. Have to check them out.

^^^They 'sail' close to being a LZ clone at times but if you love for 70's rock you'll love them also. They wear their influences on their sleeves. These guys also know how to write a 'catchy' tune. I think the singer also writes music for the contempory artists!!!

Glad to see Opeth in there. They made a lot of top 10 lists for 2014. Have to check out some of the other bands.

Blues Pills at no 6? I did not realize they were on most people's radars...

I never heard of Rival Sons either so I checked out a few camples.. Nice stuff! I'll investigate further. I guess they were 2014's version of Them Crooked Vultures...
    Last edited by Yves; 01-02-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I never heard of them either, but good for anyone knocking AC/DC off their perch.

I'm somewhat surprised at Pale Communion making the list, not becauses i don't think it deserves it, but I didn't think it would fall onto "classic rock" playlists.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    I never heard of them either, but good for anyone knocking AC/DC off their perch.

I'm somewhat surprised at Pale Communion making the list, not becauses i don't think it deserves it, but I didn't think it would fall onto "classic rock" playlists.
    I think the lines between one sub genre of rock and another have become more blurred. I call Opeth "progressive rock", my record store guy has them under "metal" and he says some of there early stuff is under "death metal".

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    There are some Rival Sons tracks where whoever produced them really wanted them to sound like Led Zeppelin. Don't let that prejudice you unduly.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack in Wilmington View Post
    I think the lines between one sub genre of rock and another have become more blurred. I call Opeth "progressive rock", my record store guy has them under "metal" and he says some of there early stuff is under "death metal".
    & you usually find their CD's in the 'Metal' racks at HMV!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    On the “Rock Music Current Status” thread, I posted a youtube clip of Rival Son’s recent appearance on Letterman on the first page. Take 3 minutes and check it out. If you like straight up rock n roll it does not get much better. All of their albums are good.

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    & you usually find their CD's in the 'Metal' racks at HMV!!!!
    Worse, I generally find Porcupine Tree in the "Metal" section. That is, when I am lucky enough to find a store carrying Porcupine Tree.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post

This is Classic Rock Magazine. They cover rock, prog, blues, a little bit of everything so there is almost always a prog album or two on the readers poll list.

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    Blues Pills at no 6? I did not realize they were on most people's radars...

I never heard of Rival Sons either so I checked out a few camples.. Nice stuff! I'll investigate further. I guess they were 2014's version of Them Crooked Vultures...
    Blues Pills are starting to get a lot of attention here in the UK. 2015 could be a very big year for them.

So I sampled the latest Rival Sons but made the mistake of only sampling the early tracks before purchasing the download. Once I listened to the entire disc I found it to be somewhat top-heavy. I'd say about half the tracks are decent. People expecting to hear a retro rock on par with Swedish bands like Graveyard or Siena Root will be let down. I made an assumption earlier in this thread of comparing these guys to Them Crooked Vultures, but they are not on par with them. In fact, I'd rate them below much lesser known bands like The Lone Crows. YMMV with this release...

HEAT is just a mediocre rehash of hair metal. Ugh. I'd also ditch the AC/DC, Judas Priest, Blue Pills, and Slash entries. Probably substitute Gaslight Anthem, Tom Petty, Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, All Them Witches, War on Drugs.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Shit, didn't Europe release anything this year?
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by Yves View Post
    So I sampled the latest Rival Sons but made the mistake of only sampling the early tracks before purchasing the download. Once I listened to the entire disc I found it to be somewhat top-heavy. I'd say about half the tracks are decent. People expecting to hear a retro rock on par with Swedish bands like Graveyard or Siena Root will be let down. I made an assumption earlier in this thread of comparing these guys to Them Crooked Vultures, but they are not on par with them. In fact, I'd rate them below much lesser known bands like The Lone Crows. YMMV with this release...
    Not familiar with the other bands you mention, but I don’t think Rival Sons sound anything like Them Crooked Vultures. Although I really like this album, I don’t think it is as good as the band’s first two.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    HEAT is just a mediocre rehash of hair metal. Ugh. I'd also ditch the AC/DC, Judas Priest, Blue Pills, and Slash entries. Probably substitute Gaslight Anthem, Tom Petty, Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger, All Them Witches, War on Drugs.
    Gaslight Anthem is a killer band for the style that they do.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Not familiar with the other bands you mention,
    Check them out then:

Not on the list but here where I live they rave about "War on drugs" ... So I listened, and to me it was sounding a lot like dire straits and dylan... Not too impressed by such familiarity in sound. Bigelf I find somewhat interesting. Glad opeth is on the list. I too have never heard of Rival Sons... Sounds like big money is trying to sell us a band.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Gaslight Anthem is a killer band for the style that they do.
    Yes they are!!!
    The Prog Corner