Thread: Eagles took inspiration on Jethro Tul for Hotel Californial?

Eagles took inspiration on Jethro Tul for Hotel Californial?

Has this been discussed before, here??

could this be another Spirit/Zep thread??
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Suspended
    It's not enough that The Eagles recorded that bloody song, which I would be happy to never hear again as long as I live. Now someone is trying to absolve them from blame, and put the blame on poor old JT.

hey, that song allowed or helped my hands finding their way into many female panties and bras during slows, so I hope to hear it many more times before I die

Last edited by Trane; 01-02-2015 at 12:59 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Careful now, or I I use my Tul to Fornial YOU!
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    hey, that song allowed or helped me finding my way into many female pants and bras, so I hope to hear it many more times before I die

Why do you think that song made you dress that way?

Just kidding - way to go! I still love the song.

hey, that song allowed or helped me finding my way into many female pants and bras, so I hope to hear it many more times before I die

You like to cross-dress to "Hotel California?"

This place brings all types...

Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

chalkpie

I hope they weren't your grandmas from the dirty laundry bin.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I hope they weren't your grandmas from the dirty laundry bin.
    Yes, that song made him want to seek out stool and urine samples.
    <sig out of order>

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Ok, I'd like to check out of this thread now, but I know I can never leave...

I've never heard of Jethro Tul or Hotel Californial...
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

The chord progression in Hotel California was written by Don Felder, who was not in the Eagles when they toured with Tull.

It's Jethro Tool

Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    You like to cross-dress to "Hotel California?"

This place brings all types...

Easy guys, you mustn't judge. I'm a jeans and T-shirt man myself, but each to their own. Humanity is a broad church, room for all kinds of lifestyles.

uh, can an Admin please put that second "l" in its right place...

too late for me to fix it now

I did correct my second post to avoid wise guys judging the male lesbian that I am

Kleptomnesia

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/adam-g...b_6393346.html

The Biggest Reason We Steal Other People's Ideas

Adam Grant

Chances are that at some point in your career, you've taken an idea from someone else. I want to know why.

There's a clue in a story about one of the great bands of our time.

All good things come to an end, and by 1970, the beloved Beatles had decided to go their separate ways.

Within a year, George Harrison reached No. 1 with a solo song, "My Sweet Lord." But his sweet time at the top was short-lived. Within a month, a lawsuit was filed. Harrison's song had original lyrics, but shared a melody and harmony with the 1963 hit song by the Chiffons, "He's So Fine."

Was the Beatles' lead guitarist guilty of plagiarism?

Judge Richard Owen, who happened to be a music aficionado, ruled that Harrison was guilty. But he said Harrison's theft wasn't intentional; it was accidental and subconscious.

Eventually, Harrison conceded that Owen was right. "I wasn't consciously aware of the similarity between 'He's So Fine' and 'My Sweet Lord'," Harrison wrote in his autobiography. "Why didn't I realize?"

The psychologist Dan Gilbert calls this kleptomnesia: generating an idea that you believe is novel, but in fact was created by someone else. It's accidental plagiarism, and it's all too common in creative work.

In a classic demonstration, psychologists Alan Brown and Dana Murphy invited people to brainstorm in groups of four. They took turns generating lists of sports, musical instruments, clothes, or four-legged animals. Each participant generated four ideas from each category. Next, the participants were asked to write down the four ideas that they personally generated for each category.

Alarmingly, a full 75 percent of participants unintentionally plagiarized, claiming they generated an idea that was in fact offered by another member of their group. And later, the participants wrote down four new ideas for each category. The majority wrote down at least one idea that had already been generated by another group member -- usually the group member who'd generated ideas immediately before them.

Were they not paying attention? If so, then surely they'd have been just as likely to plagiarize from their own ideas. But that didn't happen. While 71 percent of participants took credit for an idea that a group member had generated, only 8 percent generated one of their own previous ideas.

Kleptomnesia happens due to a pragmatic, but peculiar, feature of how human memory is wired. When we encode information, we tend to pay more attention to the content than the source. Once we accept a piece of information as true, we no longer need to worry about where we acquired it.

It's especially difficult to remember the source of information when we're busy, distracted, or working on a complex task. (Sound familiar in today's workplace?) And the more our attention is divided, the less we notice who's responsible for the ideas that get raised. This explains why people are most likely to take credit for ideas generated immediately before their own. When it's almost their turn, they're maximally busy trying to come up with a good idea, so they never really pay attention to the source of the ideas that come right before their own.

To combat kleptomnesia, psychologists recommend reducing distractions and cutting down on multitasking. It can also be useful to minimize exposure to similar work. For example, comedy writer George Meyer avoided watching Seinfeld while writing for The Simpsons (16 seasons!). "I was afraid I might subconsciously borrow a joke," Meyer told me.

Had George Harrison taken these steps, he might have avoided a serious financial loss and heartbreak. At minimum, when generating ideas, it could be wise to identify a few existing ideas that are similar, scrutinize the overlap, and give credit where it's due. Otherwise, in Harrison's words, "We all tend to break each other's hearts, taking and not giving back."

In everyday life, the most important corrective action may involve training ourselves to focus not only on what was said, but also who said it. As the psychologists Neil Macrae, Galen Bodenhausen, and Guglielmo Calvini put it, "May the source be with you."

Adam is a Wharton professor of management and psychology, and the New York Times bestselling author of Give and Take: Why Helping Others Drives Our Success. He intentionally stole this post (with permission) from a Wall Street Journal blog that he wrote. Sign up for his free newsletter at www.giveandtake.com

^Very interesting.

Ian Anderson has commented on this in interviews - here's one: http://www.songfacts.com/blog/interv...f_jethro_tull/

The relevant bit is:

Songfacts: Your song "We Used To Know" is certainly an influence on "Hotel California." Can you talk about that?

Ian: It was a piece of music that we were playing around the time… I believe it was late '71, maybe early '72 when we were on tour and we had a support band who had been signed up for the tour, and subsequently, before the tour began, had a hit single. The song, I believe, called "Take It Easy." And they were indeed the Eagles. We didn't interact with them very much because they were countrified laid back polite rock, and we were a bit wacky and English and doing weird stuff. And I don't think they liked us, and we didn't much like them. There was no communication, really, at all. Just a polite observance of each other's space when it came to sound checks and show time. But they probably heard us play the song, because that would have featured in the sets back then, and maybe it was just something they kind of picked up on subconsciously, and introduced that chord sequence into their famous song "Hotel California" sometime later. But, you know, it's not plagiarism. It's just the same chord sequence. It's in a different time signature, different key, different context. And it's a very, very fine song that they wrote, so I can't feel anything other than a sense of happiness for their sake. And I feel flattered that they came across that chord sequence. But it's difficult to find a chord sequence that hasn't been used, and hasn't been the focus of lots of pieces of music. It's harmonic progression is almost a mathematical certainty you're gonna crop up with the same thing sooner or later if you sit strumming a few chords on a guitar.

There's certainly no bitterness or any sense of plagiarism attached to my view on it, although I do sometimes allude, in a joking way, to accepting it as a kind of tribute. It's a bit like this tribute Rolex that I'm wearing.
    "One should never magnify the harsh light of reality with the mirror of prose onto the delicate wings of fantasy's butterfly"
    Thumpermonkey - How I Wrote The French Lieutenant's Woman

"I'm content to listen to what I like and keep my useless negative opinions about what I don't like to myself -- because no one is interested in hearing those anyway, and it contributes absolutely nothing to the conversation."
    aith01

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Originally Posted by Trane
    When Martin Barre is feeling romantic, he likes to dress in men's clothing. His '70s bandmate from the opposite side of the stage, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by bRETT View Post
    The chord progression in Hotel California was written by Don Felder, who was not in the Eagles when they toured with Tull.
    I was thinking the same thing. Felder covers the writing of Hotel California quite extensively in his book, and as you mention he was not in the Eagles at the time they toured with Tull.

Then again Henley and Frey have often accused Felder of not having any original ideas of his own, so who knows..........