Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic Rock Films on TCM tonight

Classic Rock Films on TCM tonight

Elvis on Tour
    A Hard Day's Night
    Gimme Shelter
    Tommy
    Jimi Hendrix (1973 doc)
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Jimi Hendrix film is great. I've had that on VHS for ages, taped it off Cinemax probably 25 years ago. Lots of good interviews in that one. I also like Elvis On Tour a lot too. I think I saw Gimme Shelter, again probably about 25 years ago. The main thing I remember is Paul Kantner mouthing off at the Hell's Angels for beating up Marty Balin.

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    The Jimi Hendrix film is great.
    Yep, it's pretty much still the best doc of him out there, IMO. Hendrix needs an anthology set done, like The Beatles did.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

The Jimi Hendrix film is great. I've had that on VHS for ages, taped it off Cinemax probably 25 years ago. Lots of good interviews in that one.
    Seen it a couple of times myself. Probably the best documentary that's been made about him.

Great minds...

The only one I've ever seen is Elvis on Tour, and if you have any interest in Elvis at all, it's excellent.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

No 200 Motels? What!?

I saw a Hendrix film in a theatre in the early 70s, where he plays that acoustic 12-string. Is this the one being shown on TCM?

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    No 200 Motels? What!?
    ...or Let It Be?
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    I saw a Hendrix film in a theatre in the early 70s, where he plays that acoustic 12-string. Is this the one being shown on TCM?
    I believe that's the one!

Let It Be?
    Still never seen that!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Hendrix needs an anthology set done, like The Beatles did.
    Well, they sorta have.
    http://www.amazon.com/West-Coast-Sea.../dp/B003YDZV9U
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Live_%...The_Radio_Show

Yes, it is. In fact, that one version of "Hear My Train A-Comin'" is the only footage of its type. The only other acoustic performances I've ever heard are home recordings.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Well, they sorta have.
    Not really.

VH1 Classic is also showing the Who at the Isle of Wight in 1970.

'Let It Be'...has that been shown *anywhere* in decades?

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    'Let It Be'...has that been shown *anywhere* in decades?
    The Beatles killed its release. They are, quite frankly, embarrassed by the whole thing. I think George was the one who objected the most. I can see a day where Paul, the sentimentalist, and Ringo would authorize it. I'm not sure how much Olivia might have a say, in the case that George asked her to never let it see the light of day. Even then, I couldn't see that happening. George would like have eventually permitted it.

That being said, I just got a DVD of it made from an original uncropped German 16-mm print. Apparently, even the theatrical releases (not to mention the previous official releases) were cropped. It's still a lot of fun to watch, especially the rooftop. And the audio is fantastic.

I bet someone could make a killer movie from the existing footage. There were, like 96 hours filmed. There are plenty of known gems amongst all those hours.

Over the past few years I've picked up several films with prog-rock ties. They're mostly awful:
    * More by Barbet Schroeder
    * La Vallee by Barbet Schroeder
    * Wonderwall by Joe Massot
    * Zabriskie Point by Michelangelo Antonioni

ronmac, I felt the 'it's so depressing' hype for 'Let It Be' was way overblown. The Twickenham sessions were pretty grim, everybody knows that, but the only argument in the actual film (the Paul/George one) has been seen endlessly, including within The Beatles' authorised 'Anthology'. The final edit is rather rambling and could certainly be improved upon, however. Sadly I fear the moment has passed- it should have been when '...Naked' was released.

I gather the last time it was shown in the UK on TV was the early 1980s, I guess not long after John Lennon's murder. This, I guess, is where all the bootlegs came from!

ronmac, I felt the 'it's so depressing' hype for 'Let It Be' was way overblown.
    I agree.

Sadly I fear the moment has passed- it should have been when '...Naked' was released.
    Ah, but, if Apple were TRUE capitalists (no pun intended), they wouldn't have released them together, anyway. Do it years apart when one doesn't dilute the sales of the other.

I've maintained for years that they should release the Glyn Johns or George Martin original "Get Back" album. It's loooong overdue. I like it more than LiB.

^The Spector 'Let It Be' is a mish-mash; he includes pre-song chatter yet also piles on string/vocal chorus overdubs on some songs.

Actually talking about re-editing films, I'd like to see 'Elvis On Tour' re-edited. (They actually did do just that with 'That's The Way It Is' but weirdly removed 'I Just Can't Help Believin'.) If anyone watches this tonight, watch for the scene I talked about with this old man- it goes on for a couple of minutes!

The Altamont footage in 'Gimme Shelter' is almost unbearable yet utterly compelling viewing- it captured on film a certain 60s optimism going very badly wrong indeed. There's some great footage of The Stones at Madison Square Garden in this too.
    Rule #1: Make sure beforehand the guys you've hired to do security for your event aren't violent assholes who are trying to compensate for having tiny dicks.

Rule #2: Don't pay them in beer, either.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    No 200 Motels? What!?
    I think they wanted to keep it to just showing good movies.

A bigger one for me in the "absent" department would be Space Is The Place. But I imagine no broadcaster in America has the balls to show Sun Ra's classic blaxploitation/sci-fi/concert film.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 12-31-2014 at 03:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Still never seen that!
    I've never seen Let It Be either, apart from one or two clips that MTV used to show on their old Closet Classics show (ie Get Back and Let It Be itself).

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    VH1 Classic is also showing the Who at the Isle of Wight in 1970.
    They've been showing a lot of interesting concert things lately. They've been pushing what I assume is the most recent Dream Theater concert video (looks like Portnoy's replacement on drums), and they had the Grateful Dead Movie on the other night. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay up to see how much of the film got cut (last time I saw them show the Grateful Dead Movie, they cut Weirdness/Morning Dew, which was unforgiveable).

And they keep rerunning the last two or three Rush concert videos, including the Time Machine deal. I hear one of my friends is visible in some of the crowd shots (it was filmed here in Cleveland, I would have gone, if i hadn't been stabbed in the back by my former employers).

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    I think they wanted to keep it to just showing good movies.
    Then they would have skipped Tommy, too.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not really.
    Yes really.