Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Canterbury Binge 2015

Canturbery gets regular play at my house.

I probably couldn't go more than a few days without listening to something "Canturbery".

Most recently, I listened to:

Khan - Space Shanty
    Picchio Dal Pozzo - S/T
    Hugh Hopper - Hoppertunity Box
    Ain Soph - Hat and Field
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Steve F. convinced me to reassess Vol 2 earlier this year - yes, it's a very, very good album. I was initially turned off by the 'bad' sound quality (something I've learned to get over lately), but once I listened to the music, I 'got' it.
    It's over 45 years old and recorded in a mediocre studio with the band's mediocre equipment of the time. The things that were revolutionary about it are the revolutions of nearly half a century ago.

That's a pretty long time.

I believe that someone who is 21 and is hearing it 45 years after it was made can not hear it the same way as someone who heard it 'only' 3 or so years after it was made (me) was able to hear it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I agree with you, but also I heard this for the first time when I was closer to 16 or 17. Now 22, I've had a LOT of musical experiences since then and would (hope) my tastes have matured. So perhaps hearing it when it came out would help ones appreciation of it, but so do matured tastes. I'm not ruling out becoming a Soft Machine fan at some point in the future - it took me a few years to appreciate what King Crimson were doing with those mid 70s albums too. (Now I love them)

Soft Machine, as a whole, don't appeal to me as much as they do to other 'prog' people. Total respect to their position in history and everything,
    These are very interesting points, in only that the "status" of the Softs with 'prog' people in general seems to have almost diminished, at least this is my subjective impression. When I first started out in my early teens reading about progressive rock history, SM was one of the names that seemed to pop up constantly (along with KCrim, Family, Traffic and the "usuals"). In fact, in noting this I took an even more intense interest in finding out more about the whole phenomenon of 'p rock', seeing how the sheer diversity of various expressions indicated something far more intriguing than what I had expected. And here was an underground rock group gone experimental fusion with SERIOUS merit way beyond the strands of the ol' r&r commune. And to me, still, Volume Two remains the Schoenberg to ItCotCK's Stravinsky - i.e. equally overall important for its artistic statement alone.

Nowadays, however, you'd never even think of having a group as severely musically radical (in proportional terms) show up at a "sub-niched" festival of purported progressive rock. Even the thought of an act whose sole "rock" credential would be a distorted bass guitar - it just wouldn't hold. I find it quite revealing that someone like Paul Stump, for instance, was still focusing heavily on the UK underground (and not least the Softs and Floyd) when he issued his book in the late 90s (The Music's All That Matters, the first 'scholarly' perspective on "prog" historiography and the post-cultural stress of its eventual reputation as "rock pariah"). Funny to think that even those days are long gone now.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

This thread has got me listening to "Teeth" off of Fourth. Amazing, amazing track. That sax playing is phenomenal!!

chalkpie
    Ian - yeah - keep trying "Vol. 2". Oh man, what a record! "Esther's Nose Job" is one my favorite suites in prog. Also, Udi (and myself) both love the sonics to Soft Machine I - it's a great recording for its time.

I spun "Third" twice today. Happy New Year everybody.

This thread has got me listening to "Teeth" off of Fourth. Amazing, amazing track. That sax playing is phenomenal!!
    Teeth is my single favorite thing that they've ever done. I've played it so many times over the years that my poor wife can sing some of the really intricate lines without really realizing what she's doing.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

I played Las Vegas Tango(Part 1), from Robert Wyatt's first solo album, The End Of An Ear.It still amazes me, and i've played it countless times over the years.As with the very best music, it provides intellectual as well as visceral stimulation
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Teeth is my single favorite thing that they've ever done. I've played it so many times over the years that my poor wife can sing some of the really intricate lines without really realizing what she's doing.
    Did not know that...nice

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by walt View Post
    I played Las Vegas Tango(Part 1), from Robert Wyatt's first solo album, The End Of An Ear.It still amazes me, and i've played it countless times over the years.As with the very best music, it provides intellectual as well as visceral stimulation
    You're a pretty huge fan of Vol. 2 also right Walt?

chalkpie
    I'm olde schol when it comes to my fav 5 Canterbury albums:

Hatfield - Rotters
    Soft Machine - Third, with Vol. 2 just a few pubic hairs behind
    Health - Of Queues
    Wyatt - Rock Bottom
    Caravan - If I Could....or Grey and Pink....can't decide so cut each disc in half with a hacksaw and glue them together

Now Playing: Steve Hillage - Green

I got into Soft Machine because of the associations with Pink Floyd... much like all of my "discoveries" through the years - by who played with who and who knew who. Third was my intro to Softs. So from the grittiest sounds and murky heavy vibes - it was the perfect place for me to start. I love that sound. I love heavy and dirty. Third still sounds great to me. I'll put "Teeth" in my top 3 Softs tracks too. Especially some of the live versions.

Now playing ---

Elton Dean - Just Us --- thanks for the nudge Scrotum. I always seem to miss that one but when I put it on - Phil Howard makes it.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    You're a pretty huge fan of Vol. 2 also right Walt?

Yup, Frank, about 6 ft.3in., 275 lbs. worth.

But seriously, yes i do indeed revere Vol.2.

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post

Now playing ---

Elton Dean - Just Us --- thanks for the nudge Scrotum. I always seem to miss that one but when I put it on - Phil Howard makes it.
    Yup, the guy really shines here. Just Us is on my "top" () 10 list of albums I should never have rid myself of. But boy, back then when I was moving for Oslo from my hometown (Bergen), I sold practically ALL my "jazz proper" records and some 100 psych albums + about 200 more in order to please the missus about dragging the whole damn collection along.

We separated/divorced the year after, btw.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Any of these five amazing discs considered Canterbury?
    Moving Gelatine Plates-s/t
    Antique Seeking Nuns-Double Egg With Chips And Beans
    Zyma-Thoughts
    Cos-Viva Boma
    Hugh Hopper-Two Rainbows Daily
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    They're all in there in my book, love ASN's, MGP's and Cos
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The upcoming Alco Frisbass will please you Canterbury fans

When it comes to our beloved Canterbury, what are some of your fav Bootlegs and or Live official releases???

Just Ordered National Health - Self and Hugh hopper - Hopper Tunity Box

Bootlegs -

Egg
    University of Essex
    Colchester, England
    1972-05-27

Hatfield & The North
    Theatre Present de La Villette , Paris , France
    25th Sep. 1973 ----- Blane Over Paris is from this show. Hatwise Choice Release.

National Health
    1976-02-26 - Enfield (near London), UK - Middlesex Polytechnic
    Bruford on drums

Soft Machine - Amougies 1969

Official

Soft Machine
    ----------------
    1971-03-15
    Het Turfschip
    Breda, Netherlands

Soft Machine

Paradiso 69 --- the bootleg was called "William" --- love the live versions of Vol 2 material

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    When it comes to our beloved Canterbury, what are some of your fav Bootlegs and or Live official releases???
    All of the ones on Cuneiform are good. Playtime, Live in Bremen, Virtually, NDR Jazz Workshop, Arriving Twice, Smoke Signals, March, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post

Backwards, Noisette,Paradiso,Live at Henie Onstad Art Centre,Proms......

Ut Gret is a modern band doing Canterbury-esque things. Any fans?

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Me
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.