Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Name a song (with vocals) you'd like to hear remixed as an instrumental

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I love vocals, but anything sung by Gayle Moran would be better as instrumental.
    (!)

KGH
    www.artbykgh.com

Wherein one can peruse all manner of Digital Artwork & Photography. . .

Don't laugh, but... "Whodunnit". There's a great track under the insipid vocals....

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Glass Hammer's Chronometree.
    Good idea!

How about any prog album with dubious vocals on it?

For some reason "southside of the sky" popped into my head but I'm sure there are lots of songs that would work.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

I love vocals, but anything sung by Gayle Moran would be better as instrumental. Like the last 2 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums and the Return To Forever live-album I own.
    How about I Loved You Then, I Love You Now?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I like Gayle's voice - very soulful. She's a good singer, especially I like her on Mad Hatter and the last RTF of 70s, forgot it's name.

REM's "It's the End of the World as We Know It (And I Feel Fine)"

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    Don't laugh, but... "Whodunnit". There's a great track under the insipid vocals....
    That's what I've always felt. There's two problems with that song, in my view:

1. The stupid lyrics. Really, nobody between the three of them couldn't come up with something better than "Was it A or was it B/Or was it X or Z"?!

2. The bit toward the end where Phil is screaming, "We don't know, we don't know, we don't know" through the Harmonizer.

Re-write the lyrics, edit out the "We don't know, we don't know, we don't know" bit, but keep everything else exactly the same, and it would immediately become a much better song.

I wouldn't mix out the vocals altogether, but I sure do wish I remix Elvis' version of Hound Dog and at least push the Jordanaires a bit back and bring Scotty's guitar solos to the fore.

Actually, I'd do that to a lot of songs. Anything where there's some dickhead singing over the guitar solo, I'd mix the vocals out.

I for one like the vocals on Chronometree. But I also like a lot of punk and indie yelpers and mumblers. Part of the joy of that record for me is hearing an indie style mumbler take on prog. It works incredibly well on Perfect Carousel, at least

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    That's what I've always felt. There's two problems with that song, in my view:

1. The stupid lyrics. Really, nobody between the three of them couldn't come up with something better than "Was it A or was it B/Or was it X or Z"?!

2. The bit toward the end where Phil is screaming, "We don't know, we don't know, we don't know" through the Harmonizer.

Re-write the lyrics, edit out the "We don't know, we don't know, we don't know" bit, but keep everything else exactly the same, and it would immediately become a much better song.
    But, the idea is for it to be the "instrumental" track it should've been all along, with NO "lyrics". NO words. It would be great. Not Naminanu great, but great.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I like Gayle's voice - very soulful. She's a good singer, especially I like her on Mad Hatter and the last RTF of 70s, forgot it's name.
    I love lots of singers, even singers who are hated by other people, like Peter Hammill, or the guy from Pavlov's Dog, but Gayle Moran? No thanks.

I love lots of singers, even singers who are hated by other people, like Peter Hammill.....
    Same. I don't mind Hammill's vocals -- and it fits with VdGGs material..........

Squonk

Well, guess what... Chronometree is probably never going to get a remix in any way, shape or form. We revisited the tapes a couple years ago (it was the last album ever done here on the ADAT format) just to see what was there and a lot of it is missing. We have all the stereo stems (keys bounced to stereo, drums in stereo, etc.) but the tapes for much of the basic tracks can't currently be found. And a lot of it sounds... odd *lol* I'm not sure how we got a mix out of that one, really. But it is what it is now and thus shall it stand!

Quote Originally Posted by veteranof1000psychicwars View Post
    But, the idea is for it to be the "instrumental" track it should've been all along, with NO "lyrics". NO words. It would be great. Not Naminanu great, but great.
    OK, fine, I'm just saying if edit out the one bit, and write some proper lyrics, and it would be a better song. Course, we're talking about the guys who named a song after the musical form (or whatever you call it) of an early arrangement of a song on the same album, and Phil, on one of his solo records named a song after a gibberish word that came out of his mouth one day while recording demos. As David Letterman once asked of him, "You expect people to put down their hard earned money for this?!". Phil's response? "It worked, didn't it?"

Quote Originally Posted by BravadoNJ View Post
    Squonk
    Squonk tune is included in Los Endos - a kind of underture for A Trick of a Tail..

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Gayle Moran? No thanks.
    DITTO

I love lots of singers, even singers who are hated by other people, like Peter Hammill, or the guy from Pavlov's Dog, but Gayle Moran? No thanks.
    Of course, opinions differ..However, I never understood what's so horrible people find about Hammill, or David Surcamp..I love them both. The guy who is really hated by most, is David Lawson of Greenslade - he's one of my favorite vocalists)

Keith Jarrett's Blue Note box and Glenn Gould's second recording of the 'Goldberg' variations.

...and Ice Cakes by Dixie Dregs? Nah, Rod's "vocals" were excellent on that song.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    I'm not sure what this means. Are you just thinking of taking out the Piltdown Man stuff?
    Yes, and Viv Stanshall's announcer stuff. (Indignant French voice: sacre bleu!) But mostly the piltdown man stuff. I heard parts of the Orchestral Tubular Bells in the Moon Movie or whatever it was called, so something like that, except with the original rock instrumentation.

And yeah, let's go chipmunk hunting, too. :evil:

Notice I did not say Incantations -- I love the wordless choir stuff in Ommadawn and Incantations, and the reading of Hiawatha in Incantations. I definitely do not mean that.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Every song that Steve Howe sings on.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    I'm with you. I know many hate her voice but I don't mind it at all. I don't like Stanley Clarke's vocals at all myself.