Thread: Last Of The Jubblies

Last Of The Jubblies

Anyone got a take on this album.. Only heard good things about Garden Shed.. this seems to be leftovers from the first sessions? Or was the plan for a full length release then the band broke up? Amazon has it for $5.. thought I might take the gamble.. Garden Shed is way over priced everytime I've thought of checking it out.
    England.jpg

It’s mostly post-Garden Shed demos, plus one GS-era instrumental single B-side (“Nanogram”). Nice, and I’m glad to own it, but it’s no Garden Shed.

The only other things they recorded (in a studio) were two singles for the Jet label (“Victoriana”/“Hearts Made of Glass” and “London Story”/“Under the Pier”), and Imperial Hotel (a 24-minute EP of an extended suite composed back in their pre-GS days. I believe they reformed to record this and release it for the Japanese market).
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

I'm not sure what you would describe as way overpriced but Garden Shed is probably worth it. Its £12.50 on Amazon UK right now....is that way over priced? Seems OK to me, not as cheap as I might like but not exactly Dark Round the Edges territory....

Jubblies is decent but it suffers from mediocre sound quality one might expect from demos and is really only a nice album to hear if you love Garden Shed. I am a huge fan and highly recommend getting Garden Shed as one of the great mid 70s "derivative" masterpieces. There is no new ground broken here at all, but it's pretty excellent if you want to hear a quality mix of Yes, Genesis and other UK and US bands of the day of similar ilk.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Garden Shed is underpriced at 12.50 if you are a fan of 70's symph ala Yes & Genesis. Its an under appreciated classic. I bought it unheard based solely on Cozy's screen-name, never regretted it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Nice album..the sound is not very good, demo quality.

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    I'm not sure what you would describe as way overpriced but Garden Shed is probably worth it. Its £12.50 on Amazon UK right now....is that way over priced? Seems OK to me, not as cheap as I might like but not exactly Dark Round the Edges territory....
    I agree, I’d definitely recommend GS be your first taste of England. LOTJ is not bad, but as your first taste of England it’s highly likely to leave you disappointed.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Jubblies is decent but it suffers from mediocre sound quality one might expect from demos and is really only a nice album to hear if you love Garden Shed. I am a huge fan and highly recommend getting Garden Shed as one of the great mid 70s "derivative" masterpieces. There is no new ground broken here at all, but it's pretty excellent if you want to hear a quality mix of Yes, Genesis and other UK and US bands of the day of similar ilk.
    I agree, it’s a masterpiece; it doesn’t reinvent the wheel but it does what it does very well. There are some other UK sympho-prog obscurities that are worth investigating and made by some talented individuals (Druid and Time spring to mind) but none of them could touch England.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by lovecraft View Post
    $20 is overpriced to me..

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    It’s mostly post-Garden Shed demos, plus one GS-era instrumental single B-side (“Nanogram”). Nice, and I’m glad to own it, but it’s no Garden Shed.

The only other things they recorded (in a studio) were two singles for the Jet label (“Victoriana”/“Hearts Made of Glass” and “London Story”/“Under the Pier”), and Imperial Hotel (a 24-minute EP of an extended suite composed back in their pre-GS days. I believe they reformed to record this and release it for the Japanese market).
    Where can one get to hear these singles...?

The band called The Samurai of Prog includes Robert Webb as a guest on their latest album called Imperial Hotel - which, as you might gather from the title, features their recent recording the England song. http://www.thesamuraiofprog.com/#Home

Samurai of Prog's Imperial Hotel gets my vote for best album of 2014! Robert Webb is a guest, but a HUGE one! Not only is it the best release of the year, but it's also the best SOUNDING release IMO. And I've purchased quite a few CD's this year. I can't say enough about this great album!

While digging around for all things England.. I came across this offering on Amazon
    England live.jpg

I've heard the Live in Japan release. It's okay. Mind you, I think it's great that a new incarnation of the band has been resurrected and was able to play live in recent years. The vocals on this are fairly weak overall, but that's probably to be expected at this point in time, and anyway, the lead vocals are mixed a bit too "out front," which serves to underline this fact. It might not bother some people though. The keyboard work is also a little sloppy in places. More importantly, drummer Jode Leigh, whose performance REALLY stands out for me on the Garden Shed album, isn't involved and hasn't been able to play in a number of years apparently for health reasons.
    Last edited by Koreabruce; 01-01-2015 at 08:27 AM.

"Garden Shed" is England's masterpiece. I believe I have 4 versions of it, the last one (in the 7" cover) being the best. Everything else they released (including LOTJ) is oké, although I thought that recent live-album sounded not too well. And I agree with the posters above: The Samurai Of Prog is a wonderful addition to the England-catalogue; The Imperial Hotel is also in my top 10. Still, I hope they also release the original Japanese-only version worldwide.

Hmmm....I've had that Japan cd for years but forgot about it. It's still-sealed. I need to open that puppy and give a review!