Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Good music"/ "Bad music"

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I don't think music can ever be harmful -- PMRC notwithstanding. Violent misogynist lyrics are commonly understood to be "just lyrics." I am much more concerned that FPS first person shooter video games immunize young boys to the horror of war and violence. And video games are sold at Walmart.

There are however other measures for "good" versus "bad."

Music which is poorly performed -- out of tune, simplistic, mechanistic, derivative -- like Glee and American Idol and The Voice -- can legitimately be called bad music without fear of argument.
    I'm almost with ya, except for your use of the term "simplistic." There are some terrific songs that are simplistic. The basic blues form is pretty darn smplistic.

But poorly performed ... one reason folks - and not looking to dredge up the example often raised, honest, - why I harp a lot about good time, as that's one yardstick for music that is well-performed, along with being in tune, as pitchy singers and worse, a pitchy group of singers making for cringe-inducing harmonies...these are definitely yardsticks that can be used to delineate between good and bad music, IMO... But even so, there are rarely absolutes. But over the top, excessively melsimatic singing a la AI and TV? Ugh.

Suspended
    Moreover, the same era that produced Led Zeppelin also produced Pink Floyd.

(coughs)

Quote Originally Posted by Rickenbacker View Post
    Today's production is so soulless to my ears. (though one can still say "depends who you ask".)

Basically, I'm trying (probably in vain) to make a valid comparison to old school music (which *I* think had far more heart & soul) vs today's producer-driven assembly line dance pop.
    I have been listening the other day to the awesome "Things" by Merrell Fankhauser and HMS Bounty (1968) and as layer after layer of melody resonated within the next in an inspired state of mellow sweetness and austerity, I wondered: "Where is this thing today? Why everything has become so complex and complicated when it comes to pop or rock music?" The answer is easy. Once inspiration is absent (the base), the weight is swifted to ...the supports. Studio, orchestrations, mixing, etc. Then the "game" is lost.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I challenge you to make it all the way to the end. Hell, I challenge you to make it all the way through one song!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...