Thread: FEATURED CD - Mandalaband : The Eye Of Wendor

FEATURED CD - Mandalaband : The Eye Of Wendor

Per Allmusic :
    Arguably the most successful and listenable of the progressive rock era's declared concept albums, and certainly a rival to Yes' Close to the Edge and Tales From Topographic Oceans and more concise than Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds. The music encompasses classical and new age elements as well as folk influences, as it tells the story of the early history of the kingdom of Wendor. Justin Hayward, in excellent voice, sings the part of King Aenord, Maddy Prior makes a wonderfully expressive Princess Ursula, and Eric Stewart is an attractive Florian. Other participating musicians include John Lees, Woolly Wolstenholme, Les Holroyd, Noel Redding, Graham Gouldman, and the Halle Orchestra. There are lots of fluid synthesizer passages and loud guitar flourishes to keep things lively and interesting, and one need not necessarily know anything about the "plot" (a series of Lord of the Rings-style convolutions) to appreciate it. Some of the material meanders needlessly, but other passages are beautifully written and sung. (British import)
    http://www.allmusic.com/album/the-ey...r-mw0000483368

Regards,

Duncan

Sounds pretty good. Never heard of this before.

Unearthed another gem.
    The Prog Corner

I didn't realize they put out any more music after their 1975 self-titled debut. I recall liking that album, but I also recall it being completely different than this with a much more eastern slant. I suspect the sidelong "Om Madne Padme Hum" might have had something to do with that ;-) I'm going to pull that album out of the vinyl stacks tonight when I get home

Here's a youtube of a track from that first album, actually less eastern than I recalled other than the chant.

I like em both!

Pretty good album. I wouldn't say it's on par with Close to the Edge. But then, very few albums are.

If I remember correctly, the debut album has a side-long suite. I was surprised not to see it mentioned in the other thread (unless I missed it).

70s Ayreon (in concept)? Never grabbed me. The material is somewhat uneven and both albums have an artificial flavour for me; I don't find them flowing effortlessly. It's probably the fact that I am usually not attracted to overblown projects...
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Huh. Didn't know they had another album. Had their debut back in the day, and the only song I remember was 'Song For A King' or something, I remember thinking it was the best track on the album and sometimes I would just play that song.

I am a huge fan of both albums. I'm surprised they aren't more highly regarded today. The production and execution are reminiscent of Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds, but Mandalaband's music is on a much higher level IMO. It seems weird that the apparent mastermind behind it all was one David Rohl, who wrote most of the music but I think didn't actually play or sing on either album, and later became an expert on ancient Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
    I didn't realize they put out any more music after their 1975 self-titled debut.
    They were reincarnated as The Trans-Siberian Steamroller.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by mogrooves View Post
    They were reincarnated as The Trans-Siberian Steamroller.
    LOL! Actually, all of the band except the singer became Sad Cafe, who released the excellent "Fanx Ta-Ra" in 1977. Personally I find the debut 10 times better than "Eye of Wendor"