Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Moulettes

The Moulettes

New video of The Moulettes from Oct 24, 2014 in Paris; opening for Three Friends
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZBDfcRm2u6U

Fantastic. Love the vocals and the power.
    The Culture Cafe, Sundays 6-9am on WWUH-FM
    Broadcasting from the University of Hartford, CT at 91.3FM, streaming at www.wwuh.streamrewind.com and at www.wwuh.org

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Are they prog?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Are they prog?
    Have all their albums and while their earlier albums are more towards weird folk, their latest album Constellations is certainly much more prog then they have ever been. It is not the kind of symph / neo / prog by numbers a lot of people favour but it has a more chamber music like style.

Saw them twice this year including a performance on the main stage at Shrewsbury Folk Festival and I loved them but pretty much 50% of the audience there (several thousands) were dumbfounded and couldn't wrap their heads around what they heard. I even heard people remarking afterwards "Oeeeh, they were far too prog for me"

Plus, apparently Constellations is something a of concept album and it is a musical companion to a book that is still in progress featuring quite incredible artwork and fantasy stories .... from what I have seen it reminded me a bit of Terry Pratchett's Discworld. Is that prog enough?

Here is the title track:

and another one from their previous album which they themselves describe as progressive folk:

and then there is Arthur Brown guesting on this track from Constellations:

I caught their set at Cambridge folk festival in August, never having heard of them before, and was totally knocked out by their inventive music. I bought Constellations when I got home. and it gets plenty of plays.

Bumpetybump .... for those who want to know that the fuss is all about reading reports on their gigs with Three Friends.

Here is a video I shot of the Moulettes playing a house concert in Toronto on Sept 27 2015.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkevC4V9Ihw

enjoy!
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

I saw them open for Three Friends last night in Montreal. I rarely look forward to opening acts these days but when I read that they were opening I did some youtube watching and checked out their website. Come show night I was looking forward to them. They did a one hour set with a few songs from Constellations, the 3rd album and a few earlier songs. They have recently acquired a lady on guitar and vocals Raevennan Husbandes who sang a song Song Bird that they said was from the second disc. She was totally captivating with a tremendous voice. I don't believe she sang the song on the recording. She appears to be too recent an addition to the group. A nice spartan style of playing guitar, no crowding out the others with guitar heroics. The two apparent principal members of the group Ruth Skipper (vocals, autoharp and bassoon) and Hannah Miller (vocals, electric cello and acoustic guitar) were excellent musicians and clearly enjoyed themselves. It appears that they were a big hit during their tour with Three Friends and had sold out of CDs except for Constellations. The instrumental mix was really interesting. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and bought a copy of Constellations and I am itching to buy more.

thanks to this thread... and a bit of seaerch, The Moulettes will most likely be included (my teammates are both on business trips this week, so it will not be immediate) in the PA database under the Prog Folk umbrella
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by kenneth8446 View Post
    They have recently acquired a lady on guitar and vocals Raevennan Husbandes who sang a song Song Bird that they said was from the second disc. She was totally captivating with a tremendous voice. I don't believe she sang the song on the recording.
    Moulettes live and album line-up is quite flexible but the core is most definetely Hannah Miller (vocals, cello, main songwriter), Ruth Skipper (vocals, autoharp, bassoon), Oliver Austin (vocals, guitar, drums) and Jim Mortimore (bass and son of Malcolm Mortimore). Depending on time / budget etc. the flesh out the line-up at times with string player and a guitar player.

Here is a live video of the mentioned Songbird with Ruth taking the lead together with Hannah Miller:

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    Saw them twice this year including a performance on the main stage at Shrewsbury Folk Festival and I loved them but pretty much 50% of the audience there (several thousands) were dumbfounded and couldn't wrap their heads around what they heard. I even heard people remarking afterwards "Oeeeh, they were far too prog for me"
    Damn! I live near Shrewsbury and don't normally go as I don't like folk music, but this I would have gone for if I'd known how 'prog' they were. Excellent stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    Damn! I live near Shrewsbury and don't normally go as I don't like folk music, but this I would have gone for if I'd known how 'prog' they were. Excellent stuff!
    One consolation (look at the date I posted it) that was in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by alanterrill View Post
    And if new material currently being played live is any indication of the direction the band is going...you may be in for a more proggier approach. The new track called BEHEMOTH is a very Gentle Giant influenced tune, IMO, that is..
    Dave Sr.

And to bolster their prog cred they did a cover of "Funny Ways" at the show in Montreal on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by taliesin View Post
    And to bolster their prog cred they did a cover of "Funny Ways" at the show in Montreal on Saturday.
    They were practicing Funny Ways before the House Concert in Toronto last week, but didn't include it in the set list.
    Dave Sr.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    It's spelled Mullets, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisXymphonia View Post
    One consolation (look at the date I posted it) that was in 2014.
    Didn't spot that but I could have gone then as well. I did go in 2013 to see Hoven Droven who are the right side of folk for me.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    We were at the Montreal show Saturday night and the crowd loved them, as did we. I got goosebumps when they played "Funny Ways." Picked up "Constellations". "Behomoth" I recall being identified as a tune from a previous concept album dealing with "creatures" but perhaps I misheard. Would have loved to have seen their acoustic gig the next day but couldn't work the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by rickawakeman View Post
    We were at the Montreal show Saturday night and the crowd loved them, as did we. I got goosebumps when they played "Funny Ways." Picked up "Constellations". "Behomoth" I recall being identified as a tune from a previous concept album dealing with "creatures" but perhaps I misheard. Would have loved to have seen their acoustic gig the next day but couldn't work the schedule.
    They introduced Behemoth as being from their next album which is the concept album.

New album Preternatural is now up for pre-order, to be released on May 27th.

Here is an article including two tracks from the new album:

http://www.folkradio.co.uk/2016/03/p...preternatural/

Moulettes will tour Canada in July from the east coast through to Vancouver Island. Most of the dates are embargoed until the various presenters announce them; ( mentioned so far on Moulettes Facebook)
    July 1- Canso NS Stan Rogers Fest
    8- Orillia Ont - Mariposa
    9,10 - Winnipeg
    I remember tomorrow

There's a new video up of the first track from the new album here:

With a new electric guitarist on board it's one step 'proggier' than before. Also a tempting review of the new album here: https://rawramp.me/2016/04/05/the-pr...m-of-the-year/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Damn this is good stuff
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Damn this is good stuff
    I knew that you would like them Ian...They are playing Hugh's Room in Toronto on July 7. I recommended this venue and management secured the gig. As I said on post #13, they are becoming more prog and less folk, but I enjoy both. They are a very talented band that are just as effective as an acoustic group, which they are quite often...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkevC4V9Ihw
    Dave Sr.

Great stuff.