Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A 5.1 Surround Thread

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Actually, that's the Super Deluxe limited edition version with an extra live CD...

...if someone's mainly interested in the Sluggo! surround mix, there's a more affordable option, which is the 3-disc version with CD, DVD-A and DVD-V for $34 here: http://store.keneally.com/products/m...2-dvd-download

Thanks for the good words on the surround mix, Grimjack! We certainly worked on it hard enough
    Hey Mike, when thinking of your stuff I Always think Super Deluxe!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Queen's Night At The Opera was my first foray into 5.1 DTS music, and is still a landmark.

Can't think of a better demo to a friend or the uninitiated than to get them round and belt out Prophets song...LOUD!

Just bee giving Oldfield's Ommadawn 5.1 another blast. I love the fact that the person mixing that album realised it was about the ambience and atmosphere, and rather than indulge in pointless panning around the speakers for effect, just opened up the soundfield and gave the instruments room to breathe.

Also just gave a newly acquired of Genesis Selling England 5.1 a blast. Very good. Battle of Epping Forest particularly yielded hitherto unheard details, especially from Hackett.

Perpetual Change from Wilson's YIND 5.1 mix is also a standout.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    "albeit they were just DTS-CDs. "
    DTS discs can sound really good. PT's deadwing comes on DTS and is fantastic sounding. The drums on "Open Car" are so realistic they scared me the first time I heard it.
    Agreed -- I'd even go so far as to say it's a large step up from two-channel CD, even though it's the exact same number of bits. Didn't mean to sound denigrating. Just didn't want people to think this was super high res or anything. I guess with companies like 2L and the like, I'm beginning to associate "surround" with "high-res".
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty Chalk View Post
    Agreed -- I'd even go so far as to say it's a large step up from two-channel CD, even though it's the exact same number of bits. Didn't mean to sound denigrating. Just didn't want people to think this was super high res or anything. I guess with companies like 2L and the like, I'm beginning to associate "surround" with "high-res".
    Depends on what DTS you are talking of. Acceptable are DTS 24/96 and DTS Master Audio. CDs can sound great with simple straight forward acoustic music. When the dynamic range gets large, SACD DSD for stereo is great.

I was talking DTS-CDs, so CDs with the audio tracks replaced with DTS-encoded audio. So whatever bitrate 16/44.1 stereo converts to. It's not technically a "legal" format. Basically, you stick it in your DVD player and hope that the DTS decoder doesn't know it's a CD and converts it as if it's being output by the player ... however it's being trasnmitted. So no, that was exactly my point -- these are CDs, not DVDs or anything higher. They're not spinning the CDs faster to get more bits out of them or nothing. Definitely not 24/96 nor master audio.

In my viewpoint there are three different kinds of surround-mixes:

1. Natural (like classical recordings, Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue or Allan Holdsworth's All Night Wrong)
    2. Functional (like most of the Steven Wilson-mixes)
    3. Effective (like Jean Michel Jarr's Aero)

Just like to pipe up that Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory 5.1 is absolutely my favourite; it is simply a superb demonstation of how powerful a 5.1 mix can be.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Has anyone hear heard the Audio Fidelity release of The Best of the Guess Who? It is supposed to be a 4.0 (Quad) disc, but I can't determine what system is used. I'm guessing it a DVD in either DTS or Dolby Digital.

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    Has anyone hear heard the Audio Fidelity release of The Best of the Guess Who? It is supposed to be a 4.0 (Quad) disc, but I can't determine what system is used. I'm guessing it a DVD in either DTS or Dolby Digital.
    OK, I found the answer, but it is confusing.

The Guess Who::The Best of The Guess Who
    COMING SOON

Rock
    SACD
    Upcoming Releases

(
    AFZ5 199
    )
    $29.99

Track Listings
    1. These Eyes
    2. Laughing
    3. Undun
    4. No Time
    5. American Woman
    6. No Sugar Tonight/New Mother Nature
    7. Hand Me Down World
    8. Bus Rider
    9. Share The Land
    10. Do You Miss Me Darlin'?
    11. Hang On To Your Life

Mastered dual Channel SACD from all original masters
    by Steve Hoffman at Stephen Marsh Mastering

Does that mean the Stereo layer is mastered by Hoffman and someone else did the Quad layer?

No, it seems there is no quad, where did you see quad being mentioned?

NEARfest Officer Emeritus Nearfest2's Avatar
    Here's my list:

Dream Theater, Systematic Chaos (DVD-A)
    Dream Theater, Dream Theater (DVD-A)
    ELP, ELP (DVD-A)
    ELP, Tarkus (DVD-A)
    ELP, Brain Salad Surgery (DVD-A)
    Donald Fagen, The Nightfly (DVD-A)
    Peter Gabriel, Up (SACD)
    Genesis, Trespass (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Nursery Cryme (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Foxtrot (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Selling England by the Pound (DVD-A)
    Genesis, The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Bonus Disc, 1970-1975 (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Trick of the Tail (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Wind and Wuthering (DVD-A)
    Genesis, And Then There Were Three (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Duke (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Abacab (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Bonus Disc, 1976-1982 (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Genesis (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Invisible Touch (DVD-A)
    Genesis, We Can't Dance (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Calling All Stations (DVD-A)
    Genesis, Bonus Disc, 1983-1998 (DVD-A)
    Gentle Giant, The Power and the Glory (Blu-ray)
    David Gilmour, On An Island (DVD-A)
    Helmet of Gnats, Helmet of Gnats II (SACD)
    Eric Johnson, Ah Via Musicom (DVD-A)
    Jethro Tull, Thick as a Brick (DVD-A)
    Mike Keneally & Beer for Dolphins, Sluggo! (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, In the Court of the Crimson King (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, In the Wake of Poseidon (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, Lizard (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, Islands (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, Larks' Tongues in Aspic (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, Starless and Bible Black (DVD-A & Blu-ray)
    King Crimson, Red (DVD-A)
    King Crimson, Discipline (DVD-A)
    Kraan , Through (DVD-A)
    Marillion, Somewhere in London (DVD)
    Mastodon, The Hunter (DVD-A)
    Nektar, Journey to the Center of the Eye (SACD)
    Opeth , Heritage (DVD-A)
    Opeth , Pale Communion (Blu-ray)
    Alan Parsons, A Valid Path (DVD-A)
    Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon (Blu-ray)
    Pink Floyd, Wish You Were Here (Blu-ray)
    Pink Floyd, The Endless River (Blu-ray)
    Porcupine Tree, Stupid Dream (DVD-A)
    Porcupine Tree, Lightbulb Sun (DVD-A)
    Porcupine Tree, In Abstentia (DVD-A)
    Porcupine Tree, Deadwing (DVD-A)
    Porcupine Tree, Fear of a Blank Planet (DVD-A)
    Queen, A Night at the Opera (DVD-A)
    Rush, Fly By Night (DVD-A)
    Rush, 2112 (Blu-ray)
    Rush, A Farewell to Kings (DVD-A)
    Rush, Moving Pictures (Blu-ray)
    Rush, Signals (DVD-A)
    Rush, Snakes and Arrows (MVD)
    Steely Dan, Gaucho (DVD-A)
    Storm Corrosion, Storm Corrosion (DVD-A)
    Toy Matinee, Toy Matinee (DVD-A)
    Steven Wilson, Insurgentes (DVD-A)
    Steven Wilson, Grace for Drowning (DVD-A)
    Steven Wilson, The Raven That Would Not Sing (Blu-ray)
    Yes, Fragile (DVD-A)
    Yes, Close to the Edge (Blu-ray)
    Yes, Relayer (Blu-ray)
    Chad

Quote Originally Posted by mkeneally View Post
    Actually, that's the Super Deluxe limited edition version with an extra live CD...

...if someone's mainly interested in the Sluggo! surround mix, there's a more affordable option, which is the 3-disc version with CD, DVD-A and DVD-V for $34 here: http://store.keneally.com/products/m...2-dvd-download

Thanks for the good words on the surround mix, Grimjack! We certainly worked on it hard enough
    And why wouldn't you get the version with the live CD??? It's a great recording...

Sluggo is great as a surround mix, it opens up the album, along with not being a slave to the original mix without being a radical departure. It pushes the sounds when appropriate, which really works for me...

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Nearfest2 View Post
    Here's my list:

Eric Johnson, Ah Via Musicom (DVD-A)

Storm Corrosion, Storm Corrosion (DVD-A)
    Your list has a lot in common with mine. Two things:

The Eric Johnson DVD seems to have quite a history:

http://www.highfidelityreview.com/er...-robinson.html

The new version Johnson was talking about seems to be un-published up to now.

I thought there was just a Blue-ray version of Storm Corrosion. I bought it very cheap, but as I have no DR-player I've only heard the CD that comes with it.

Here's some other surround titles in my collection, the sometimes more obscure ones:

- Bass Communion: Loss (dvd-a)
    - Jim Beard Revolutions With Vince Mendoze & The Metropole Orchestra (sacd)
    - Bonnie 'Prince' Billy: The Letting Go (dvd-a)
    - Born: At The End Of The Day (sacd)
    - Branko: My World Electric (sacd)
    - David Bridie: Act Of Free Choice (sacd)
    - Lars Danielsson: Libera Me (sacd)
    - Al Di Meola: Flesh On Flesh (sacd)
    - Ben Dowling: The Path Of Peace (dvd-video)
    - Don Elias: The Window (sacd)
    - John Foxx: The Complete Cathedral Oceans (dvd)
    - Serge Gainsbourg: Histoire De Melody Nelson (dvd)
    - Jerry Granelli: The V16 Project (sacd)
    - Gavin Harrison & O5Ric: Circles and The Man Who Sold Himself (dvd-a)
    - Luthomania: Itenérances (sacd)
    - Eleanor Mcevoy: Early Hours (sacd)
    - Quodia: The Arrow - A Story In Seven Parts (dvd-video)
    - E.S.T.: Viaticum (sacd)
    - Peter Ulrich: Enter The Mysterium (sacd)
    - Sam Yahel: Jazz Side Of The Moon - The Music Of Pink Floyd (sacd)
    - Hector Zazou/Bernard Caillaud: Quadri + Chromies (dvd)
    - Patrick Zimmerli: Phoenix (sacd)
    - Danny Elfman: Serenada/Schizophrana (sacd)
    - Steve Reich: Music For 18 Musicians (by Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble) (sacd)
    - David Sylvian: Manafon (dvd)

Thats a nice list! Not the usual suspects..
    Can you elaborate on the following? Style? Genre? Quality? Essential?

- Jim Beard Revolutions With Vince Mendoze & The Metropole Orchestra (sacd)
    - Born: At The End Of The Day (sacd)
    - Branko: My World Electric (sacd)
    - David Bridie: Act Of Free Choice (sacd)
    - Lars Danielsson: Libera Me (sacd)
    - Ben Dowling: The Path Of Peace (dvd-video)
    - Don Elias: The Window (sacd)
    - John Foxx: The Complete Cathedral Oceans (dvd)
    - Luthomania: Itenérances (sacd)
    - Eleanor Mcevoy: Early Hours (sacd)
    - Quodia: The Arrow - A Story In Seven Parts (dvd-video)
    - E.S.T.: Viaticum (sacd)
    - Peter Ulrich: Enter The Mysterium (sacd)
    - Hector Zazou/Bernard Caillaud: Quadri + Chromies (dvd)

And regarding these two:

- Steve Reich: Music For 18 Musicians (by Grand Valley State University New Music Ensemble) (sacd)

I have an actually better version (both in rendition and discrete sound) of this piece in surround on DVD-V-
    Salzburg Biennale Festival For New Music 2009
    This also has an acompanying SACD with completely different selection from the DVD (but still great- all contemporary modern)

- David Sylvian: Manafon (dvd) - This one was a killer to get, very costly but worth it in the end- a favourite of mine.

Squids asks a good question in a different thread...What is the preferred format for listening to 5.1 mixes? - Blu-ray, SACD or DVD-A?

I've a few of each with all sorts of formats: DTS, Dolby Digital but I get completely lost in the bitrate maze.
    Many discs have a choice of formats on them but I can't find time to carry out A/B comparisons myself - maybe I'm not fussy enough!

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    Squids asks a good question in a different thread...What is the preferred format for listening to 5.1 mixes? - Blu-ray, SACD or DVD-A?

I've a few of each with all sorts of formats: DTS, Dolby Digital but I get completely lost in the bitrate maze.
    Many discs have a choice of formats on them but I can't find time to carry out A/B comparisons myself - maybe I'm not fussy enough!
    The answer is simple:
    First of all - Lossless (PCM, MLP, Dolby TRUE-HD, DTS-HD, DSD) is always better than lossy (Dolby, DTS)
    Which lossless depends purely on your player DACs and the way it handles each format.
    If you are stuck with lossy only - DTS is much better than Dolby, and aim for the highest bitrate available (for example the Pink Floyd immersion series have several bitrate options).

Thanks for that - I'll keep a note.
    Odd how many discs don't default to the best format when there's a choice.
    I have some that automatically default to stereo files - or maybe its the player that does that.

Did anyone mention Frank Zappa's QuAUDIOPHILIAc? That's a very good one. Zappa's original mix, released in 2004 for DVD-A.

Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post

Well, maybe I'm biased, but when I compare the DVD-A from "Wish You Where Here" from the Immersion Box Set with the SACD I think the latter is so much better. But it's really a personal thing, I guess. Haven't got a BR b.t.w.

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Thats a nice list! Not the usual suspects..
    Can you elaborate on the following? Style? Genre? Quality? Essential?

- Jim Beard Revolutions With Vince Mendoze & The Metropole Orchestra (sacd) fine jazz-rock/fusion in an orchestral way
    - Born: At The End Of The Day (sacd) interesting Dutch progressive pop
    - Branko: My World Electric (sacd) Dutch rock
    - David Bridie: Act Of Free Choice (sacd) good progressive from former Not Drowning, Waving-member
    - Lars Danielsson: Libera Me (sacd) beautiful atmospheric jazz/classical, see this review
    - Ben Dowling: The Path Of Peace (dvd-video) nice audio-visual project, slighly New Age: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/visionsound
    - Don Elias: The Window (sacd) singer-songwriter-stuff, well done
    - John Foxx: The Complete Cathedral Oceans (dvd) this is a 3-cd/dvd set; the dvd contains the music from the cd's in 5.1 with intrigueing New Age-like images; music is ethereal
    - Luthomania: Itenérances (sacd) beautiful mix of classical and world music: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Luthomania/211836240478
    - Eleanor Mcevoy: Early Hours (sacd) interesting singer-songwriter with blues influence: http://www.eleanormcevoy.com/
    - Quodia: The Arrow - A Story In Seven Parts (dvd-video) great project from Trey Gunn with a lot of spoken word and a lot of WARR-guitars and KC-like rhythms: http://www.quodia.com/
    - E.S.T.: Viaticum (sacd) if you've got nothing from the Esbjorn Svensson Trio you might as well start here (although I'm not an expert)
    - Peter Ulrich: Enter The Mysterium (sacd) percussionist who worked with Dead Can Dance; his music is in the same veine, but misses Lisa
    - Hector Zazou/Bernard Caillaud: Quadri + Chromies (dvd) audio-visual project with a lot of surround effects, more interesting than really good: http://www.allaboutjazz.com/quadrich...eorgievski.php

And regarding these two:

I have an actually better version (both in rendition and discrete sound) of this piece in surround on DVD-V-
    Salzburg Biennale Festival For New Music 2009
    This also has an acompanying SACD with completely different selection from the DVD (but still great- all contemporary modern) I'm sure there are better versions, but this one came on my path and because of its non-commercial attitude I ordered it

- David Sylvian: Manafon (dvd) - This one was a killer to get, very costly but worth it in the end- a favourite of mine. Cool! I must say I understood the music better after I saw the documentary which accompanies the surround version on the dvd.

Thanks! I guess non is essential, but I tried to give some info on the style and quality.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    The answer is simple:
    First of all - Lossless (PCM, MLP, Dolby TRUE-HD, DTS-HD, DSD) is always better than lossy (Dolby, DTS)
    Which lossless depends purely on your player DACs and the way it handles each format.
    If you are stuck with lossy only - DTS is much better than Dolby, and aim for the highest bitrate available (for example the Pink Floyd immersion series have several bitrate options).
    DTS 96/24 is a good lossy format, but standard DTS and Dolby at the same bit rate are effectively identical. The spec for DTS has all ways had provisions for multiple bit rates. When I've had the choice on DVDs of PCM stereo, DTS 5.1 or DD 5.1, PCM stereo sounded the best, except for a couple of rare cases. The best format for quantity and quality at this time is Blu-Ray DTS Master Audio or Dolby HD (both are lossless). Tons of bonus material and different mixes are possible on one disc.
    Last edited by Firth; 01-10-2015 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Just like to pipe up that Gentle Giant's The Power and the Glory 5.1 is absolutely my favourite; it is simply a superb demonstation of how powerful a 5.1 mix can be.
    I agree. This is the best 5.1 release I have ever heard!!! It's just amazing that this originally was released in the 70's. I have 3 versions of this on CD (including the Steve Wilson remix). Even his CD remix is my favourite. But I can't emphasize enough how good this 5.1 mix sounds! This album seems to have gained a lot of fans.....I recently downloaded the ringtone for Playing the Game from itunes for my phone. You should see the attention that draws when my phone rings.

Quote Originally Posted by flatliner View Post
    I agree. This is the best 5.1 release I have ever heard!!! It's just amazing that this originally was released in the 70's. I have 3 versions of this on CD (including the Steve Wilson remix). Even his CD remix is my favourite. But I can't emphasize enough how good this 5.1 mix sounds! This album seems to have gained a lot of fans.....I recently downloaded the ringtone for Playing the Game from itunes for my phone. You should see the attention that draws when my phone rings.

I ordered this last week based on a recommendation in this thread, and it just arrived. Not familiar with this album at all, but always up for a good 5.1 experience, and you can't really go wrong with GG. Will give it a spin and share my thoughts.