Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Progressive punk?

Still one of my favorites and a super blast live - Tub Ring

Duncan's going to make a Horns Emoticon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    I once won an album off of an auction by a band called Mekanik Destrucktiw Kommandoh (thinking it was an album by another well-known French band). When it arrived, I put it on and it was essentially a punk / prog band with saxophone. The only thing I regret is returning it ... should've kept it.
    Interesting Dutch rarity. They later evolved into the wonderful psychedelic/folk/electronic band USE OF ASHES, which are utterly recommended!
    Last edited by spacefreak; 01-04-2015 at 08:34 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    Interesting Dutch rarity. They later evolved into the wonderful psychedelic/folk/electronic band USE OF ASHES, which are utterly recommended!
    Wholeheartedly agreed! One of the finest such neo-psych groups from the continent. And better than more famous compatriots like Tunng and Circulus, IMO.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    I remember when Rasputin’s in Berkeley had a whole mess of copies of the MDK album in their clearance vinyl bin. I skipped it because I knew it was not Magma. I’m a little disappointed now that I never seized the opportunity. Interesting history behind the band that I never knew; what a 180° turn around in musical direction!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Kind of surprised no one has posted this one yet. Maybe it's too obvious or something. Anyway, I always thought it captured parts of both genres fairly well even though it sort of predates the official starting of punk.

And then there's always this guy(at least for this album).

Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    what a 180° turn around in musical direction!
    They started their musical switch to a more cinematic and dim, dreamy sounscapes while still as Mekanik Kommando. What is considered to be the debut Use of Ashes LP, The Castle Of Fair Welcome, is indeed the last Mekanik Kommando album from 1988.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

No-one's yet mentioned awesome Canadian band Fucked Up yet? Most definitely on the 'punk' side of progressive/punk, but have definite prog leanings - concept albums, 20 minute singles, unorthodox instrumentation/arrangements for a hardcore band. Maybe its because they are such a hardcore band they aren't listened to much by the progressive community, but i love them. Their Chemistry of Common Life album is a classic, beginning with some Jethro Tull(ish) flute/recorder before the frankly apocalyptic guitars turn your brain to mush. However, they're about far more than loud (and many guitars). They should definitely be considered in this thread as one of the more modern proponents of progressive punk.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Some Porcupine Tree tracks would qualify: This Long Silence, This Is No Rehearsal, The Creator Has a Mastertape.
    No! Porcupine Tree and the seemingly eternally mandatory 'Steven Wilson' do not apply or qualify here.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Steve Wilson is all music all the time.

^'I Write The Songs' is his theme tune!

Quote Originally Posted by JJ88 View Post
    ^'I Write The Songs'
    'And then remix them for bonus purposes after they're finished'?

Banned
    Serbian and ex-Yugoslavian post-punk band Luna, Balder na prozoru ("Balder On Window) (1984), Fakir (1984) and Intima (1984)

Last edited by Svetonio; 02-05-2016 at 04:26 PM.

If anyone enjoyed the band Medications I posted about earlier in this thread, their lead singer/guitarist/songwriter Devin Ocampo recently formed a new band called The EFFECTS and they released an album a few months back.

I really dig it. It's an evolution of Medications' sound with better production, more melody and less punk aesthetic. Still gets quite heavy at times with some cool stop-start riffs and Devin's always interesting guitar playing. The whole album is streaming on the band's Bandcamp page:

https://theeffects.bandcamp.com/

The album is also on Spotify, for those who subscribe:

https://open.spotify.com/album/3zWXbLgbZ91a1gdt758wmL
    Last edited by devoidzer0; 01-02-2018 at 08:04 PM.

Shall I be surprised that, six pages on, still nobody has mentioned Punishment of Luxury?

Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

The Messthetics

this is quite fucking good

some great Belew/Frippsisms to along with one of the great post punk rhythm sections of our time. great to hear Canty and Joe lock into another like this again.

https://www.npr.org/2018/03/15/59315...he-messthetics
    2trevorsforlife

Quote Originally Posted by helix View Post
    The Messthetics

this is quite fucking good
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

"Arty Anarchy: Punk and Prog Have More in Common Than You Think

Punk rock and prog rock have long been positioned as opposing genres. Nothing could be further from the truth."

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stori...han-you-think/

^ Precisely!

Daevid Allen's stuff with Planet Gong and New York Gong is a bit of a synthesis. Much of the work he did later has that attitude too.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    "Arty Anarchy: Punk and Prog Have More in Common Than You Think

Punk rock and prog rock have long been positioned as opposing genres. Nothing could be further from the truth."

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stori...han-you-think/
    It's interesting, at this point, how long the two things have been perceived as contraries, when in fact there were ostensibly "punk" bands showing clear influences from prog almost as soon as the genre existed, and most of the prog bands simplified their sound and arrangements around the time punk became culturally significant, even if they weren't trying to sound overtly punky.

In my thread about the changing social significance of progressive rock, I mentioned that a great deal of the received assumptions in the way we talk about music seem to have been set in the punk/post-punk generation, and have started crumbling in the last twenty years. The idea of prog & punk as mortal enemies was maybe true for a year or two in the seventies, if that, but it's had a surprising ability to linger because we've generally retained the default assumptions formed by the cohort of music writers that were dominant the late '70s to early '90s.

This thread has been great as a repository of recommendations for interesting bands. Only have one Trail of Dead album and hadn't realized how arty they got later on, and I'm quite intrigued by that. I've also been meaning to listen to Fucked Up for awhile and this was a nice reminder for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    In my top 10 all time - ridiculously ace album for me.
    Artist formerly known as Phlakaton

Quote Originally Posted by Hunchentootz View Post
    In my top 10 all time - ridiculously ace album for me.
    It's a %$#@!!! Trout Mask level warehouse of brain melt...real foundational shit.

Very nice article about it:

Arty Anarchy: Punk and Prog Have More in Common Than You Think
    Punk rock and prog rock have long been positioned as opposing genres. Nothing could be further from the truth.

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stori...9cSUODdLWeg_YY

^ Where have I seen that before?