Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Progressive punk?

Quote Originally Posted by Nijinsky Hind View Post
    Yeah skafish... Lol... Do the Sign of the cross, it'll make you feel real boss. Very odd band indeed.
    I forgot about Skafish, what a bunch of freaks! Their one album is very, very weird; some days I can’t stand it, other times I savour its utter uniqueness like a fine wine.
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

A couple of more obscure bands i forgot to mention:

Pigment Vehicle from Canada. Like a cross between NMN and Red-era King Crimson.

Finland's Deep Turtle!

v This one sounds like a more aggro Cardiacs.

Rik L Rik was big in the LA and Hollywood punk scene around 1978-80. He was also in a band called F-word.
    Yes, I remember them. They were a direct influence to Social Distortion and the Adolescents.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Blondie - Fade Away and Radiate (w/ Fripp)

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Blondie weren't punk but Fripp apparently did work with some punk bands(I forgot who).
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Some more bands mixing "prog" and "punk":

Mission of Burma - "Trem Two" '83: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpi2DefuyJ4
    Fields of the Nephilim - "Last Exit for the Lost" '88: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl4zkpMqzuw
    No Safety - "Ms. Quoted" '93: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8U5EDKMKqz4
    Spiritualized - "No God Only Religion" '97: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiaLcxz_tkE
    Yo La Tengo - "Night Falls on Hoboken" '00: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnIkxPYvF70
    Six Organs of Admittance - "School of the Flower" '05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSk5rVPiZKg
    Fiery Furnaces - "Blueberry Boat" '07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgpjtfgalk
    Last edited by Jay.Dee; 12-27-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Blondie weren't punk but Fripp apparently did work with some punk bands(I forgot who).
    He and toyah did play with the stranglers, ian drury. A live show. I downloaded it a few years back. Have it here somewhere. Also one of fripps league of gentleman cohorts went on to play in XTC and Shriekback. His name not coming to me this morning.
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 12-27-2014 at 11:45 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Also one of fripps league of gentleman cohorts went on to play in XTC and Shriekback. His name not coming to me this morning.
    Barry Andrews had already played with XTC and was no longer in XTC when he played in League of Gentlemen.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Barry Andrews had already played with XTC and was no longer in XTC when he played in League of Gentlemen.
    Aaah.. Thanks for clarifying. My memory skips.
    Still alive and well...

And Sarah (or Sara?) Lee played in League of Gentleman and Gang of Four.

And I believe I read somewhere that Fripp offered his services to Television, or am I not remembering correctly?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    And Sarah (or Sara?) Lee played in League of Gentleman and Gang of Four.

And I believe I read somewhere that Fripp offered his services to Television, or am I not remembering correctly?
    Yes... It seems the prog-punk connections can be made. I would go out on a limb and say a lot of king crimsons latter output more resembled new wave than prog anyway. This is likely due to Belews influence???

The "punk band" album that feels most like prog to me seems to be the Clash's Sandinista... Or Wires 154. Even though Sandinista had a bit of the reggae dub sound ... so the genre thing is tough to pin down.

But punk is punk
    New wave is new wave
    Prog is prog.
    Still alive and well...

[Mission of Burma ]

Not surprising since some of the members went on to form Birdsongs of the Mesozoic.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

"Christ The Album" by Crass needs to be experienced by everyone in this thread. As Crass' career progressed they became a full-on art-rock ensemble. Fascinating band.

I might consider casting a vote for "Blank Generation" by Richard Hell as well?

Late 70s were a very interesting times for music, as the next generation of men and women got recording contracts. They made interesting music, art punk, post-punk, new wave, whatever you want to call it, but it was music that was "progressive" in its own way, and not in a 70s way. ...Suddenly bands like Genesis, Yes, Tull, etc weren't that interesting any more.
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Well - punk and prog is different musical 'ideologies'. And never the twain will really meet.

BUT - if you have never heard KUKL (Kükl, k.ü.k.l)- The Eye (1984) - you owe it to yourself. Its btw Björk singing.

I saw them live a couple of times, and dated one of the guitarists sister for a period.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay.Dee View Post
    Fiery Furnaces - "Blueberry Boat" '07: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MGgpjtfgalk
    I've made a few unsuccessful attempts to champion this band/album on this forum...Don't miss out folks, they're wonderful. (This is their most popular album though "Widow City" is my favorite).

But punk is punk
    New wave is new wave
    Prog is prog.
    Pronk

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Pronk
    Zactly!
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Well - punk and prog is different musical 'ideologies'. And never the twain will really meet.

BUT - if you have never heard KUKL (Kükl, k.ü.k.l)- The Eye (1984) - you owe it to yourself. Its btw Björk singing.

I saw them live a couple of times, and dated one of the guitarists sister for a period.
    Damn... thanks man! I never heard this before - sounds great!

Unfortunately, I have to agree that certain genres just dont mix well....Prog and Punk would be that combination, and this is mainly because one is a direct contradiction of what the other stands for

I remember about 1983 when Jeff Lynne was trying to incorporate every new synthesizer and drum-machine but kept writing these boogie-woogie rock songs that the music sounded like Depeche Mode playing Rockabilly --- it was....

Unfortunately, I have to agree that certain genres just dont mix well....Prog and Punk would be that combination, and this is mainly because one is a direct contradiction of what the other stands for
    I respectfully call bullshit on that, citing at least half the music posted on this thread. Did you listen to any of it?

I tend to think of it as Punk with the complexity of Prog, or Prog with the fast pace and fire of Punk. For me it's nothing to do with what each genre "stands for" historically, i just like music that has the best elements of each. Fair enough if it's not your thing, i feel the same way about Rap-Metal (but like both on their own).

I'm with Tim Smith in that i hate the term 'Pronk' though

Quote Originally Posted by Phlakaton View Post
    Damn... thanks man! I never heard this before - sounds great!
    This is the album to get - the other "Holidays In Europe" is not as interesting. They disbanded and with a few bandmembers ressurected as "Sucuarcubes" btw produced by Ray Shulman (which didn't make it prog).

Quote Originally Posted by loosefish View Post
    I respectfully call bullshit on that, citing at least half the music posted on this thread. Did you listen to any of it?
    I concur. If the best part of Prog is it's exciting complexity and the best thing about punk is its directness and energy - why not have a prog tune that gets right to the point and does amazing, fast, complex stuff in under 3 minutes? See Zappa's Cletus Awreetus Awrightus or half of the Gentle Giant catalog. What Cardiacs do is amazing 'proggy' stuff without all of the waffling about for 10 minutes to get there. IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    KUKL (Kükl, k.ü.k.l)- The Eye (1984).
    A recommended album on Crass records.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS