Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: The Police - Ghost in the Machine

Any fans of the Animal Logic project? Good stuff! The Police were all great musicians. I mean look what they and the Fixx did to Alex Lifeson!

I like Synchronicity best (even "Mother"; in fact, I think it's pretty close to a perfect album), but I find very few duff tracks in their entire catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarplyrjvb View Post
    Any fans of the Animal Logic project? Good stuff! The Police were all great musicians. I mean look what they and the Fixx did to Alex Lifeson!
    I love Animal Logic. Deborah Holland is such an unheralded singer. Beautiful voice -- probably my favorite female singer, and in my top 5 singers overall.

I think she was a big songwriting contributor, too!

I was fascinated with Invisible Sun in particular when this album was new and I was about 8 or 9 years old. Ghost in the Machine was one of the first albums I got on cassette, which is probably why I remember it fondly. Synchronicity II has a special place for me, too. Always got into the lyrical content of that song, for some reason. And am I the only person who finds it next to impossible to keep the downbeat correctly in Spirits in the Material World?
    Progtopia is a podcast devoted to interviewing progressive rock, metal, and electronic artists from the past and present, featuring their songs and exclusive interviews. Artists interviewed on the show have included Steve Hackett, Sound of Contact, Larry Fast, Circus Maximus, Anubis Gate, Spock's Beard, and many more. http://progtopia.podomatic.com See you in a land called Progtopia!

Nope, you are not alone. In fact, thanks for mentioning it, I'll add it to my "tracks to learn from".
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

could mot agree more... loved the singles but imho the Lp's in total were not strong. Sting's first 4 solo lp's were superb as were the bands and tours.

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    Great singles band but a crap albums band!

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    ^^ I had the impression The Soul Cages was one of his better albums, but the positive comments here have made me think I perhaps should give it a full listen.
    I liked Blue Turtles but did not like Nothing Like The Sun, so I stopped buying his stuff... apparently I need The Soul Cages
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Yup...Animal Logic fan and a fan of Stewart's soundtrack work. Like Andy Summers solo work and collaborations.

Big Fixx fan too. Not sure if Alex ever name-checked The Fixx like he did The Police.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Big Fixx fan too. Not sure if Alex ever name-checked The Fixx like he did The Police.
    Same here. I still go see them pretty much every time they hit Chicago, and they're great every time. Actually got to open for them with my old band back around 2001. Fun guys!

2 incredible albums (right?). They are one of the few groups I wish would keep making records forever.
    Who is the guitar player? I never did look him up, and just describe the band as SC and SC with a girl singer.

Yup! Two albums. Pete Haycock and Steve Howe played guitar on the first. I'm not as familiar with the second. They're not really a guitar-centric group. Andy Summers was their first guitarist, but left before they hit the record button!