Thread: Richard Thompson

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

Richard Thompson

Last night as I sleepily channel surfed, I ran across a program called "Front and Center" on PBS. I instantly recognized the featured performer as Richard Thompson. All thoughts of sleep left me as I sat enthralled for the next hour, watching the master guitarist ply his trade. He played some electric and some acoustic guitar, accompanied by an able bassist and drummer. If any of you can find a video of this show on your local PBS site, you would surely enjoy watching it. They played this song, but this video is of a different show.

We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The Live In Providence DVD features a great performance. I haven't warmed to some of his recent material.

Richard Thompson is the MAN. I've seen him twice - with a band and solo acoustic and he was BRILLIANT. One of the few artists who could successfully carry an audience by himself or with a band. All of his solo stuff is worth getting, but Rumor and Sigh, Mirror Blue, You? Me? Us?, and Mock Tudor are my favorites.

The track in the above video is actually a pretty cool song, except for the banal chorus. You're lucky to have seen him, Ian. I've missed him so many times, it's not funny. There's some great RT songs on those French Frith Kaiser & Thompson albums too!

I saw him back in 1996 in a small theater that was only about a 15 minute drive from where I was living at that time. He did about half of the show solo and the other half with his son, Teddy. All of it was fantastic. I found his seeming nervous but endearing banter in between songs to be almost as entertaining as the songs themselves. Certainly the most virtuosic acoustic guitarist I've ever heard perform. "1952 Vincent Black Lightning" in particular was incredible.

To echo zombywoof, RT is certainly THE MAN. I put him up there with the best popular musicians post 1950. The scary thing is watching him improve his craft on every level over the decades. He's truly inspiring.

NP: Charlie Haden & Pat Metheny Beyond the Missouri Sky

The consummate performer, musician, and songwriter. Loved his last album.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I saw RT with his band last year in a small theater and he just smoked. His playing is so effortless yet so intricate and melodic. Check out his "1000 Years of Popular Music" CD/DVD. Just Richard with a drummer/percussionist and keyboardist who both sing as well. He doesn't play any of his own stuff, but it's a hugely entertaining performance, including a Britney Spears cover.

A personal favorite (a story for another day: I actually played with him once...it was both awesome and one of the most embarrassing moments of my life as a musician. Will relate sometime).

One thing that often gets overlooked is that the distinctive way that he bends notes over pedal tones is not informed by any other guitarist, but by Billy Pigg, a Northumbrian smallpipes player. The first time I heard a recording of Pigg it became instantly clear.

But beyond being truly one of the scariest guitarists alive, he's also an incredible songwriter and, in his own way, singer.

You can read some reviews I've written of recent RT releases here.

I agree, one of the scariest guitar players alive.

I am always flabbergasted when I see him by what he can do.

chalkpie
    The tune itself in the live clip in the original post doesn't really get me ultra-excited, but man would I LOVE to own a "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar" type of album consisting of live solos, even if they are only 20-30 seconds long!

I am also a huge fan , and to see him live is where one gets an idea of what a fantastic guitarist he is , be it acoustic or electric , just jaw dropping!

Also a brilliant songwriter , he is one of the all time greats in my opinion.

He's a very good singer songwriter. Other than a few artists(Cat Stevens comes to mind)I don't really go much for the singer songwriter genre. However, I was recently playing his cd "Front Parlour Ballads" in my car and I really like it. It's basically just him and acoustic and electric guitars. I look forward to exploring more of his work in the future.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The tune itself in the live clip in the original post doesn't really get me ultra-excited, but man would I LOVE to own a "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar" type of album consisting of live solos, even if they are only 20-30 seconds long!
    There'so a great live show from a particular tour that focused on his guitar playing, called "More Guitar," that you can buy through his website. I own all his live show downloads and this is the one for fans of RT, electric guitarist!

Frank (Chalkpie), you ought to check out the albums with French, Frith, and Kaiser. That stuff is right up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    man would I LOVE to own a "Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar" type of album consisting of live solos, even if they are only 20-30 seconds long!
    His Life & Music box set from a few years back ('07/08?) has a whole disc titled Epic Live Workouts. You'd have to buy the whole box but it'd absolutely be worth it if secondhand prices are good. (I mean, I think it's well worth it at full price anyway, but maybe you know what I'm saying.)
    Last edited by Spiral; 12-23-2014 at 11:55 AM.

The song above - "Good Things Happen to Bad People" is from his latest, Electric. It's not his best. Heck, it's not even the best on that album! This is more like it ...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    His Life & Music box set from a few years back ('07/08?) has a whole disc titled Epic Live Workouts. You'd have to buy the whole box but it'd absolutely be worth it if secondhand prices are good. (I mean, I think it's well worth it at full price anyway, but maybe you know what I'm saying.)
    I think it's oop...but it is a great set. Actually just checked you can get a new copy from marketplace vendor at amazon UK for 46.75GBP + shipping (which to NA will be 3.08) which is very good. You don't get the bonus disc that shipped with the first (I think) 1000 copies, but still well worth it. And starts with a great track showing his darker comedic side, "Now That I Am Dead."

Zombywoof got me into Richard, he's amazing!
    "Without deviation from the norm, progress is not possible"
    -Frank Zappa

Saw the show and it was very good---I think the general consensus for some time is that he's a brilliant artist---and I really appreciate him as much as I can appreciate a blues based artists.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieto View Post
    Zombywoof got me into Richard, he's amazing!
    I'm flattered!