Thread: FEATURED CD - Trettioariga Kriget : Glorious War

FEATURED CD - Trettioariga Kriget : Glorious War

Per our friend "Trane", as posted at at ProgArchives
    This pre-debut album release was originally recorded on stereo tape recorded, but don't let that fact scare you away: TK's basic raw sound can suffer such a treatment, even if you are a little touchy on that principle (but then you probably don't like TK much, right?). If you are familiar with the group, you know that the rough and raw sound is more like a principle of its own as well as the heavyness and the rather instrumental jam lengthy passages. Fans, please notice that their Austrian singer, Zima, is not present on this record, but let that not bother you either, because you will instantly recognize the group's typical sound, even if the group was a septet sometimes playing with two drummers at the same time.

While the music is always never far from blues, it does have an indisputable prog link via classical excursions with borrowings (the 18-min+ Konserten) that these teenagers were mixing with any complex. How surprising to hear harmonica on a prog record, even more on semi-classical track, but these youngster apparently feared nothing.

The other monster track (the three parts From Your Streets) is pure psychedelic improvised, raw jam with stunning experiments, not unlike early Floyd (Saucerful and Ummagumma) with early Purple (there is a guitar passage stolen from their April track) and Hendrix-esque guitars. Not the most original, but in some ways, this is highly jubilating. But if you are more into the prog conservative side, you will probably frown at this playing, recording and loose music. But if you like Guru Guru's first three albums, this should be up your alley.

Like all TK record, this album must be approached carefully by the non-initiated progheads, because of its raw, psyched-out and hard sound is not always likely to please, so it is certainly best to try a full-blown studio album rather than this "Lost Tapes" sessions (actually recorded over a winter), no matter how charming it can be. "Péché de jeunesse" and most likely for fans of the group, to whom this superb digipack record is an added bonus.
    http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=4878

Regards,

Duncan

I remember only hearing this a couple of times, but really enjoying it.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Great album. I had never heard of them prior to their ProgDay appearance (whatever year that was), but went back and explored their catalogue. Also really enjoyed their NEARfest performance. Good stuff!

Actually that song "Glorious War" above is from their 2011 album Efter Efter.

I prefer the rebooted Trettioåriga kriget and Efter Efter is their best album imho.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

I really like this band - I have the brilliant Krigssang and the very good Elden av Ar. I really should check out some more of their stuff, especially give what I've read about Efter Efter

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    I prefer the rebooted Trettioåriga kriget and Efter Efter is their best album imho.
    I certainly agree that they make for a rare example of how a band can actually be resurrected and sound at least just as damn good as they used to. But both Trettioåriga Kriget and Krigssång remain among the 25-or-so most important Scandinavian progressive releases of all time. Within their specific field (song-based, lyrical "symph" prog), few if any ever did it much better than this group.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Must. get. soon. I got quite the pronunciation lesson on Tretti-o- ar...... at the Nearfest merch table by the guys ...

A couple of the tracks on the 74' release start slow and build, but all of em' burn way hotter than just about every metal recording that followed. This record packs in gobs of ideas that lots of bands would steal if they were smart. I haven't heard all of Efter Efter, but so far no Kriget album I've heard is as innovative or structurally complex as the S/T (1974) release... that one is a %$#@!! warehouse of brilliance on par w/ the 1st Massacre album IMO.

Fantastic band who truly blossomed on their renaissance. Elden Av Ar is the best imho.
    Oh, this one is pretty good as well!

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    <<-- Love this band and have all of their stuff. Looking forward to the new album!! Stefan Fredin has become a close (internet-) friend of mine.
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Crystal Plumage View Post
    <<-- Love this band and have all of their stuff. Looking forward to the new album!! Stefan Fredin has become a close (internet-) friend of mine.
    They have a new album coming out? Any details?

Quote Originally Posted by Smörgåsbord View Post
    Actually that song "Glorious War" above is from their 2011 album Efter Efter.

never heard that one, but....

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    I certainly agree that they make for a rare example of how a band can actually be resurrected and sound at least just as damn good as they used to. But both Trettioåriga Kriget and Krigssång remain among the 25-or-so most important Scandinavian progressive releases of all time. Within their specific field (song-based, lyrical "symph" prog), few if any ever did it much better than this group.
    To be honest, I can't agree at all with this... if their 70's stuff sounded as rough and raw as only 72/74 Crimson could, I heard theur first two 00's albums and they sounded so common 00's prog
    Last edited by Trane; 12-22-2014 at 05:05 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    if their 70's stuff sounded as rough and raw as only 72/74 Crimson could, I heard theur first two àà's albums and they sounded so common 00's prog
    Which is some of the point, I guess; when those first two recs were released in '74/'75, TK were pretty unique at what they did here up north (although Norwegian band Høst did things that were remotely similar) and the current band remains vital and powerful. The peculiar nature of their music back then was confined in a joint combination of sheer instrumental force and the relentlessly poetic atmosphere brought about by unconventional chordal harmonies and a very intimate sort of dynamic. You should try Krigssång for starters.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Quote Originally Posted by qwiksand View Post
    They have a new album coming out? Any details?
    Not at the moment but they are back writing.
    From october:
    We are right now busy writing and preparing for a new TK album.
    HuGo

In an email conversation I had with Stefan last year, he said that after the trilogy (Elden av år, I början och slutet and Efter efter) they want to record just one last album. Also a possible Fredin solo album and there's enough material for a DVD release which is in the pipeline as well.
    There's a bunch of old stuff (like Mott alla odds and Kriget) that still needs a release but Stefan doesn't think it's good enough.

If you are really interested in the band you should read the book "I and I and 'I' ".
    It's a great story to read and it gives you a good idea what the lyrics are about.
    Read the book in English here:
    http://trettioarigakriget.com/website/book.pdf
    HuGo

Seems like the right place to post the news
    Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all of you!!!
    Expect a new TK album in the coming year 2015!!
    We have been busy writing and having pre-production
    rehearsals last 6 months and hope to go into the studio
    early next year. We can already now reveal that it will be
    our first album with English lyrics since our pre-debut
    album “Glorious war”..Happy Holidays dear friends!!
    HuGo

I prefer their later stuff but don't own it all. Elden Av Ar is my favourite, love the guitar.
    Of the first two I prefer the debut.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

If you are really interested in the band you should read the book "I and I and 'I' ".
    It's a great story to read and it gives you a good idea what the lyrics are about.
    Read the book in English here:
    http://trettioarigakriget.com/website/book.pdf
    Thanks for the link, very interesting read.

Seems like the right place to post the news
    Great news though I think I'd prefer them to sing in Swedish.