Thread: New Salem Hill - The Unseen Cord/Thicker Than Water

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar

New Salem Hill - The Unseen Cord/Thicker Than Water

They've got me a bit confused with the two different titles, but the new Salem Hill is very good. Possibly their best, with one track nearly 30 minutes and deserving of that length.

Wow, did not know anything about it. I see they had a 'GoFundMe' (similar to Kickstarter) fundraiser. Wish I had known!

How does it compare to Mimi? That may be my favorite from them.

Wish it was available as a download. Though, to support them, I may just order directly from them.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rick..

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Wow, did not know anything about it. I see they had a 'GoFundMe' (similar to Kickstarter) fundraiser. Wish I had known!

How does it compare to Mimi? That may be my favorite from them.

Wish it was available as a download. Though, to support them, I may just order directly from them.

Thanks for the heads up.

Rick..
    I didn't know about the fund raising either. Mimi has been my favorite but this one treads similar ground. I think - need a couple more listens.

I think it is another solid album by them. To be honest I have not given it enough listens yet to really form an opinion, but first impressions are good. I only became aware of the go fund me campaign through their facebook page. I contributed, but I don't remember ever seeing anything about it here.

Didn't know about this either, but what a pleasant surprise. Will have to track it down.

This album is a surprise entry for Best of 2014 for sure! I'm not familiar with the band's last two albums, but they have all really mastered their instruments, and have great chops. The compositions and arrangements are of such a high caliber that I dare say this album is the equal of an album such as And Then There Were Three or Misplaced Childhood. There's some excellent organ, vibraphone, guitar, some great jazz drumming, rock drumming. It even has a 28 minute epic that stays ALMOST entirely interesting. Pretty close. It's very good, with a lot of great moments. The one somewhat weak element is Carl Groves voice. It's ok, but just not as notable as the rest.

The album also has one song that I would call a clunker, because it doesn't fit in with the rest of the album, but it's actually well done. So Much More sounds just like something from 70s AM radio, though I'm not sure what. There are a lot of good harmony vocals on the album, and this song is somewhat drenched in them. It sort of seems like they wanted to follow the ATTWT/

But aside from this one awkward fit, it's a great album that I think a lot of you will enjoy. Memorable songs with good hooks, but enough prog to satisfy. I'm curious to see what people think.

I've actually only just now heard it. Best thing since Mimi imho. In fact, taken as a whole I'd say it's stronger and more consistent. Mimi has a couple songs I don't really get into at all. They threw in some very cool touches on this one too- live vibes, for instance. And the vocals have never been better!

I like it a lot.

Old man of prog
    I really would like to buy this album.

Can someone who knows these guys suggest they put it up on bandcamp and not make it so goddamn hard to monetize them??

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    I really would like to buy this album.

Can someone who knows these guys suggest they put it up on bandcamp and not make it so goddamn hard to monetize them??
    It's on CD Baby. FLAC download available:

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/salemhill1

CD Baby delivered the CD very quickly.

The epic Noon is pretty phenomenal. Probably my favorite all-time SH track right now.It does NOT feel that long.

Old man of prog
    Wonderful record. Was unfamiliar with them until now.

Quote Originally Posted by progmeister View Post
    Wonderful record. Was unfamiliar with them until now.
    If you like this you will most likely like thair older stuff. They have a great back catalougue. My fave's are "The Robbery Of Murder" or "Be", For a good overview you might try their 2 CD live album "Puppet Show". Really, all of their albums are worth owning.

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    The epic Noon is pretty phenomenal. Probably my favorite all-time SH track right now.It does NOT feel that long.
    Agreed.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I own and like Not Everybody's Gold and Be, but Mimi's Maudlin Moment bored me to tears.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I own and like Not Everybody's Gold and Be, but Mimi's Maudlin Moment bored me to tears.
    Come on, Neal "Maudlin" Morse was on that. Maudlin is his thing. I like the title track.

Must say, after a half dozen spins, that this might end up being my favorite release of 2014 (and it was a strong year). Noon hasn't quite sunk in for me yet, but I really like all the rest. Anyone notice a few glitches towards the end of Noon? Maybe I buggered up the burn dunno, but my copy skips a couple of times about 3:30 before the end.
    Last edited by ca1ore; 12-21-2014 at 12:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Must say, after a half dozen spins, that this might end up being my favorite release of 2014 (and it was a strong year). Noon hasn't quite sunk in for me year, but I really like all the rest. Anyone notice a few glitches towards the end of Noon? Maybe I buggered up the burn dunno, but my copy skips a couple of times about 3:30 before the end.
    My CD does skip in a couple of places - deffo noticed that.

Noon is really good, as good as the rest of the album.

No glitches on mine... luckily!

Actually played the physical CD, and no skips. So either I mucked up the burning process or my computer disc drive is the culprit.