Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Genesis: Best live version available of The Lamb?

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Just listened to the sound bytes, excellent sounding show.
    Lakeland and West Palm were the first ones "leaked" from the Farm collection

Both are complete and are nice sounding cassettes from the soundboard - the sound quality on Toronto is similar

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

I think at this point I have listened to (and had a copy of at some point) just about all of the available offerings, either official or bootlegged. For me, sound quality is really important (I have a very high resolution sound system) so about the only ones I play anymore are the official Shrine version or the TM Productions version of Empire Pool. Problems with the former, of course, are the overdubs; problem with the latter is that it is incomplete. Empire pool is also a much better and more polished performance, so it's a shame a multi-track sourced version of the full show has never been released. There are a number of versions worth listening to (Lakeland, Groningen, Liverpool .... probably a few others) but ultimately for me poor sound quality eliminates them from consideration for 'best'.

Has anyone put together a composite of shows, picking the best songs to create one whole Lamb Live presentation?

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Has anyone put together a composite of shows, picking the best songs to create one whole Lamb Live presentation?
    As fond as I am of the Lamb tour, I really don't think there is enough variance from night to night to bother with such an endeavor.

Some great recommendations in this thread, but I guess the OP went MIA.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    Lakeland and West Palm were the first ones "leaked" from the Farm collection

Both are complete and are nice sounding cassettes from the soundboard - the sound quality on Toronto is similar

BG
    Agree.. I've got both of these..

The Toronto show was just posted on Dime with A+ sound.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

SQ ratings on boots are comical. I'm familiar with this show and anyone who rates it as an A+ (implying no better source exists) would be better served having their hearing evaluated

Even GENESIS LIVE had overdubs in the studio after the fact. The LADS are very particular when it comes to official released stuff even when they were young lads.

JK

Of the 4 Live Lamb shows I have, I would rate the Toronto show as the best.

Toronto has been posted to the "Big O" site, for the torrent challenged

BG
    "When Yes appeared on stage, it was like, the gods appearing from the heavens, deigning to play in front of the people."

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    SQ ratings on boots are comical. I'm familiar with this show and anyone who rates it as an A+ (implying no better source exists) would be better served having their hearing evaluated
    Well, you can't compare a bootleg recording-even one that's rated as A+, with a professional multi-track recording. I think it goes without saying that a stealth A+ audience recording isn't going to sound as good as what you would expect from a professional release. But you have to start *somewhere* and once you get an ear for audience recordings and/or dry boards, you know what to expect between A, B and C ratings...(I haven't heard the Toronto Lamb recording so I can't opine there)

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Well, you can't compare a bootleg recording-even one that's rated as A+, with a professional multi-track recording. I think it goes without saying that a stealth A+ audience recording isn't going to sound as good as what you would expect from a professional release.
    I guess you never heard the Eddie Jobson release.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I have the CD " The Lamb Lives " on the Backstage label. The CD just says " Recorded Live in USA at the very beginning 1975 ". Where was this recorded, and how does this relate to this post? I haven't listened to this in years, but kinda remember the sound quality is not all that great?

Scott
    http://www.stillstream.com

Quote Originally Posted by srtd4 View Post
    I have the CD " The Lamb Lives " on the Backstage label. The CD just says " Recorded Live in USA at the very beginning 1975 ". Where was this recorded, and how does this relate to this post? I haven't listened to this in years, but kinda remember the sound quality is not all that great?
    Lakeland, FL 1-11-75

The Florida show is outstanding in terms of quality and overall 'feel', but personally, the highlight of these shows (mainly because it was the only track that actually differed each night) is The Waiting Room. A track I feel that was always poorly represented on the original vinyl album.

As the Lamb tour reached it's final shows in Europe (summer 75) the band were at the top of their game. The Liverpool Empire show is a perfect example of their growing confidence with the piece:

Check the Liverpool show out on youtube below. The Waiting room starts 'kicking arse' around 53 mins.... Gabriel goes nuts...

Quote Originally Posted by rael74 View Post
    The Florida show is outstanding in terms of quality and overall 'feel', but personally, the highlight of these shows (mainly because it was the only track that actually differed each night) is The Waiting Room. A track I feel that was always poorly represented on the original vinyl album.

As the Lamb tour reached it's final shows in Europe (summer 75) the band were at the top of their game. The Liverpool Empire show is a perfect example of their growing confidence with the piece:

Check the Liverpool show out on youtube below. The Waiting room starts 'kicking arse' around 53 mins.... Gabriel goes nuts...

Wow! that is a really awesome Waiting room! Nice recording too. It sounds like there's post production on the Waiting room vocals and also alot of added sounds. Does anyone know if this is all live and if so, how they were producing those sounds? I'm gonna have a closer listen to this one when I have time. Nice drum sound too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rael View Post
    Well, you can't compare a bootleg recording-even one that's rated as A+, with a professional multi-track recording. I think it goes without saying that a stealth A+ audience recording isn't going to sound as good as what you would expect from a professional release. But you have to start *somewhere* and once you get an ear for audience recordings and/or dry boards, you know what to expect between A, B and C ratings...(I haven't heard the Toronto Lamb recording so I can't opine there)
    You certainly 'can' compare, whether one should or not is a different question. I tend to think of sound quality as a single continuum - the best sounding version possible from multi-tracks would be A+; the worst sounding audie would be a D-. There aren't many bootlegs that make into the A's; those that do, or get close, tend to be fan re-masters of radio show transcripts (most of which, in the case of Genesis at least, are sourced from multi-tracks). The Empire Pool Lamb show and the 1973 Leicester show from the once-mythical Genesis Live dual LP pressing are good examples. After hunting these recordings for the better part of 30 years, I've ended up with half a dozen or so that sound good enough to hold their own with the official releases, and another dozen or so that remain listenable. Though I used to have hundreds, the vast majority just ended up collecting dust ....

Quote Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
    Though I used to have hundreds, the vast majority just ended up collecting dust ....
    Aint't that the truth!

The hunt was fun

While many wax poetic in regard to the days of LP's my memories of receiving cassettes in the mail from fellow traders are just as special to me

BG

I love the Florida shows since they were my first listens to a live version. I also ended up with a copy on cd of the Westwood One SUperstar Concert Series - Wembley Show (yup - incomplete) - but that Waiting Room is great.

The posted YouTube live definitely has overdubs in places..... maybe I am wrong but I hear a BASS guitar, an electric 12 string part and Steve's main guitar part in Supernatural.... I saw this tour twice in the day and don't think Tony played bass guitar... at first I thought he might be doing this on a keyboard until I heard the slide notes of a bass guitar...

I can only guess that this was a desk recording that was added to later by someone? The quality of the sound wasn't a recorder in the crowd, there are some stereo panning things happening..... Steve's slide part in the Lamia pans hard right to left on this recording (similar to the studio recording - no way an audience recording). Someone officially recorded this off the desk (or unofficially but I don't know how that would have been done without anyone noticing).
    Also, Silent Sorrow is overdubbed with guitars. I hear Mike's 12 string volume pedal part, Steve's guitar twiddling and another guitar making sounds?

Very curious to me on who recorded and overdubbed this ?

However, I never liked the Lamb live that much because the lads didn't have the right instruments to pull this off back then.... the studio version had a ton more power than these live shows... but this did bring back some memories of 1974 for me. I always wanted a live modern version using the tools of the day to recreate the music (real acoustic piano's) etc.

Thanks for posting.

Jim
    Last edited by jkleban; 12-17-2014 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    While many wax poetic in regard to the days of LP's my memories of receiving cassettes in the mail from fellow traders are just as special to me
    You and me both! Those were the days... scanning people's lists, setting up trades, listening to so many hours of live boots... loved every second of it.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    You and me both! Those were the days... scanning people's lists, setting up trades, listening to so many hours of live boots... loved every second of it.
    Add me to that list.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by jkleban View Post
    The posted YouTube live definitely has overdubs in places..... maybe I am wrong but I hear a BASS guitar, an electric 12 string part and Steve's main guitar part in Supernatural.... I saw this tour twice in the day and don't think Tony played bass guitar... at first I thought he might be doing this on a keyboard until I heard the slide notes of a bass guitar...

I can only guess that this was a desk recording that was added to later by someone? The quality of the sound wasn't a recorder in the crowd, there are some stereo panning things happening..... Steve's slide part in the Lamia pans hard right to left on this recording (similar to the studio recording - no way an audience recording). Someone officially recorded this off the desk (or unofficially but I don't know how that would have been done without anyone noticing).
    Also, Silent Sorrow is overdubbed with guitars. I hear Mike's 12 string volume pedal part, Steve's guitar twiddling and another guitar making sounds?

Very curious to me on who recorded and overdubbed this ?

However, I never liked the Lamb live that much because the lads didn't have the right instruments to pull this off back then.... the studio version had a ton more power than these live shows... but this did bring back some memories of 1974 for me. I always wanted a live modern version using the tools of the day to recreate the music (real acoustic piano's) etc.

Thanks for posting.

Jim
    I'm curious too! I haven't listened to the whole thing, but Waiting Room sounds like it has some sounds on it that aren't live as well. Definately some panning and stuff, probably in post-production. Anybody know the story behind this recording? The recording itself,especially the drum sound, is great.

This is on Dime and the sound samples sound excellent.

Genesis - 1975-04-10 Martinihal-Centrum, Groningen.torrent (will be personalized for you upon download)
    Downloads as Genesis - 1975-04-10 Martinihal-Centrum, Groningen
    Info hash 0337e2ce39bf3504928a74400e1d10ba40535c98
    Description Genesis

Martinihal-Centrum

Groningen, The Netherlands

April 10, 1975

STAGE A

Disc 1

101 The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (5:10)
    102 Fly On A Windshield (4:51)
    103 Broadway Melody Of 1974 (0:35)
    104 Cuckoo Cocoon (2:24)
    105 In The Cage (8:13)
    106 The Grand Parade Of Lifeless Packaging (3:22)
    107 Peter Talking (1:04)
    108 Back In NYC (6:15)
    109 Hairless Heart (2:40)
    110 Counting Out Time (4:03)
    111 Carpet Crawlers (5:55)
    112 The Chamber Of 32 Doors (6:04)

Disc 2

201 Peter Talking (3:39)
    202 Lilywhite Lilith (3:00)
    203 The Waiting Room (9:23)
    204 Anyway (3:33)
    205 Here Comes The Supernatural Anaesthetist (4:32)
    206 The Lamia (7:20)
    207 Silent Sorrow In Empty Boats (3:27)
    208 The Colony Of Slippermen (8:57)
    209 Ravine (1:59)
    210 The Light Dies Down On Broadway (3:37)
    211 Riding The Scree (4:18)
    212 In The Rapids (2:35)
    213 It (4:48)

TT - 111:58

I'll second this show... it's awesome. The sound is great and has some nice ambient bass. Clear instruments and the performance is great. Waiting Room is cool.

The best Lamb shows are from Europe in early Spring 1975. Grab a couple and see!