Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact: New Progressive Rock Band with Simon Collins & Squids!

Dave,saw the show in Montreal.Love the set,you guys basically pushed all my musical buttons.Would see you guys again in a minute.One problem,I got close to see you guys and didn't want to give my spot up for the Marillion finale so I didn't get back to the merch table.Have any T shirts left? If so let me know how to get one.Can't wait for the cd.

We have a decent amount of t-shirts left depending on the size and we'll have them up for sale in the next week. There will be a whole new run of shirts for the upcoming tour with The Bearded Ones.

I think it would be fun to have some sort of "listening party" for PE members when the CD is finally released. A simulcast of sorts with Squids providing commentary throughout.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    When we did "Chalk Lines" with Lo-Fi Resistance Randy and I not only did a CD listening party but we also recorded a commentary track with us talking about the music from beginning to end of the album (not released yet). Similar to a commentary track on a special edition DVD movie. We could do that with SOC too. Might be interesting for Simon and I to talk about different bits of the production, sounds, songwriting etc. As for how to get PE people from all over to hear it... that's another story. Maybe streaming or something.
    The special anniversary remix editions of the first two IQ albums both have a commentary track and I really enjoyed both. Chris Squire also did one for his Fish Out Of Water album, which was great too. I'd like to see more bands do this!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Banned
    When we did "Chalk Lines" with Lo-Fi Resistance Randy and I not only did a CD listening party but we also recorded a commentary track with us talking about the music from beginning to end of the album (not released yet). Similar to a commentary track on a special edition DVD movie. We could do that with SOC too. Might be interesting for Simon and I to talk about different bits of the production, sounds, songwriting etc. As for how to get PE people from all over to hear it... that's another story. Maybe streaming or something.
    Maybe you can put up that sort of thing on the Sound Of Contact Facebook page?

Keep talking/promoting... It's interesting to read how it all comes together. I, too, am looking forward to the final product.

Can I selfishly ask if anyone has any video clips at all of the band playing in Montreal? Even in rehearsal would be good.

Waiting for the CD!
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

The first few photos that I took at the Montreal gig are up here:

http://www.stardustreflected.com/Mus...t-Montreal-24/

Simon and I were just talking about maybe booking a gig down here in Miami just to keep up the momentum... otherwise our next gig isn't until May 3rd in the UK. Getting antsy here! This coming week we shoot a music video. That'll be fun.
    Sounds good. Make it on a weekend after the Marillion UK weekend and we'll be there.

No time to do a gig here in Miami now. Today is our last day of rehearsals and then we do a slew of other things preparing for the album release and tour next month. Can't wait though! We'll be back in the US in not too long.

Great photos, DrGoon!

Picked up Simon's U-Catastrophe this week for a good price. What a great disc! "The Good Son" is the highlight for me, but of course "The Big Bang" is not far behind (a song I believe you've linked here before, Dave!) Judging from the release date (2008), I can assume it's one of the last examples of Phil's classic drumming style since it was not long after this that his problems started. In fact I think you mentioned that as well. Anyway, it's a killer track. I honestly like this whole album, these are great tunes!

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Picked up Simon's U-Catastrophe this week for a good price. What a great disc! "The Good Son" is the highlight for me, but of course "The Big Bang" is not far behind (a song I believe you've linked here before, Dave!) Judging from the release date (2008), I can assume it's one of the last examples of Phil's classic drumming style since it was not long after this that his problems started. In fact I think you mentioned that as well. Anyway, it's a killer track. I honestly like this whole album, these are great tunes!
    My involvement in that album was limited to about 5 or 6 songs and mostly playing keys remotely from my studio in Miami to Simon who was working with producer/engineer Kevin Churko (Ozzy Osbourne) in Vegas. Probably the track I sunk my teeth into the most was 'Big Bang' and that's why I have writing credit...
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Haha, every time you give a more detailed description, I jones for the album even more! I love Kevin Gilbert's music as well as Porcupine Tree (who I've seen several times live) and Genesis, well, they've been my favourite band since I was an eight-year-old kid flipping through my older brother's LPs. I may be one of the few who avoids the audio sampler though, as I like to take in the entire thing when it comes out - I shall continue to be patient!

As for U-Catastrophe, it does have a more 'alt-rock' flavour rather than prog, but that's okay, a good song is a good song. And this one has about TEN good songs! And any fan of that 'Collins Drum Sound' would consider it worth the price for "The Big Bang" alone. Fan-F***ing-TASTIC. Would love to have heard that Arp solo on there, though!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    Haha, every time you give a more detailed description, I jones for the album even more! I love Kevin Gilbert's music as well as Porcupine Tree (who I've seen several times live) and Genesis, well, they've been my favourite band since I was an eight-year-old kid flipping through my older brother's LPs. I may be one of the few who avoids the audio sampler though, as I like to take in the entire thing when it comes out - I shall continue to be patient!

As for U-Catastrophe, it does have a more 'alt-rock' flavour rather than prog, but that's okay, a good song is a good song. And this one has about TEN good songs! And any fan of that 'Collins Drum Sound' would consider it worth the price for "The Big Bang" alone. Fan-F***ing-TASTIC. Would love to have heard that Arp solo on there, though!
    I agree with Progatron on the last part. You should release a special edition of the SOC CD with Disappearing(ARP solo included version).

Banned
    We won't be releasing that officially. But I could see us breaking out a clip of it in a radio show/interview or something. I'll collect some cool snippets. I also have a version of Supper's Ready that's different with Collins and Dunnery doing different parts and an alternate keyboard solo with different fx but... of course that I'd have to get the okay from Steve Hackett to play. He's pretty cool though. Incredibly cool actually. I love him! We're going to eventually play Fast Forward the Future live with an alternate more rock arrangement (and hopefully at some point Steve will guest on a show as will Simon and I with him). Anyway, I have rare Kevin Gilbert things that people haven't heard and other stuff in my years of odd music making... some of it really cannot be played (like alternate takes I did with Steven Wilson... I asked and he said he doesn't like that stuff shared but it's a shame because it's really cool and interesting. I have to respect their wishes. So it all depends). There are plenty of outtakes and interesting things from Dimensionaut to bring up at the right time and that of course is our main focus anyway... and with that I am off to wrap up this video shoot! Gonna be a real trip this one. Can't wait until it's done!
    That's a bummer, Dave. Why won't you release the alternate version of Disappearing(or, at least just a snippet of the discarded synth solo)? I would kill to hear some vintage Banksian ARP Pro Soloist-type synth solos on an album by an offspring of a Genesis member.

Trying to find a Tardis. Where is the Doctor when you need him?

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    That's a bummer, Dave. Why won't you release the alternate version of Disappearing(or, at least just a snippet of the discarded synth solo)? I would kill to hear some vintage Banksian ARP Pro Soloist-type synth solos on an album by an offspring of a Genesis member.
    Well, for one thing U-Catatastrophe isn't my album so it wouldn't be up to me.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Banned
    Well, for one thing U-Catatastrophe isn't my album so it wouldn't be up to me anyway. It's Simon's solo album so in that situation I was "work for hire" and I offered my progalicious keys for Simon and the co-producer of that album Kevin Churko to consider. They thought it was a bit over the top and in all fairness it probably was. So it wasn't all used. That happens a lot by the way. It happened when I played on Steven Wilson's Raider II from Grace for Drowning. A lot of cool stuff on the cutting room floor... that's how it goes sometimes. Ironically some of that material I ended up using on Dimensionaut though (like certain sound design things). Anyway, there is no actual mix of Disappearing with my alternate takes. Just my own rough mix which is good enough to maybe play a snippet of in some radio show or something IF it was really relevant to the conversation which is also somewhat doubtful but you never know. I don't imagine this makes perfect sense to anyone else but that is the straight up real explanation. The shorter version is that we're focusing on our new album where I'm much more involved creatively and in the decision making. I also co-produced it with Simon and we were intentionally going "prog" so... muahahahahaha... keyboards galore on this one (including analog Arp solos and such).
    Oh, I thought Disappearing was a SOC track. Sorry about that, Dave. Well, it's good that the SOC album will have ARP solos galore.

Banned
    That video reminded be of
    http://youtu.be/BCQT6GOO4zU

Great job!
    Last edited by Firth; 04-08-2013 at 06:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Firth View Post
    That video reminded be of
    http://youtu.be/BCQT6GOO4zU

Great job!
    Thanks. There's a whole sci fi story to the album and certain things do nod to various classic sci films such as this one, Close Encounters, Contact and even Star Wars in some ways. You'll see. Haha. The first actual music video is in production now and it introduces the Dimensionaut character from the ground up... literally!

Just started following John Wesley on Twitter, and he's been sharing some pics from the video shoot - love the stuff from out in the field. Looks very cool.

Very much looking forward to this, Dave.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    Just started following John Wesley on Twitter, and he's been sharing some pics from the video shoot - love the stuff from out in the field. Looks very cool.

Very much looking forward to this, Dave.
    Thanks Scott. The field was crazy. Airplanes taking off while we were playing.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 08:56 PM.

Banned
    Thanks Scott. The field was crazy. Airplanes taking off while we were playing. There's an interesting thing that happens on that field in the video. Some fun surprises. We're planning on doing videos that relate to each other like episodes so you get maybe the band playing somewhere cool but then these scenes that peel away at the story. This one is pretty intense especially in the end.
    So, it's concept videos for a concept album?