Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact: New Progressive Rock Band with Simon Collins & Squids!

Great meeting you tonight Dave!

Any videos from the show???
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    Any videos from the show???
    I don't know if anyone in the audience shot any video but the good news is that we had Marillion's photographer and video guy shoot the whole thing so... only a matter of time before we get to see that!

Now that I've seen the show, bring on the CD!! Can't wait to get it. Very enjoyable set from this band and it was so cool to meet Squids and chat briefly Saturday and Sunday night. Of course NOW I think of the questions to ask. And always great to say hi to Wes, whom I've known for 20 years now. Good stuff.

-Rich

Are you in the stu-stu-studio?

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    maybe booking a gig down here in Miami just to keep up the momentum...
    Yeah. Like maybe this weekend!! I'm flying down to Miami for the UK show at Grand Central this Saturday night--Wish you guys could open!!

-Rich

Maybe someone else would want to know the same thing such as what serial Simon Collins likes to eat for breakfast. I can tell you right now it's Corn Flakes.
    I knew it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Are you in the stu-stu-studio?
    Zing!

(But) Seriously Dave, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the gig so much, it was a treat for us as well. I'm happy to have been in the audience for the first of hopefully many! I hope to see you guys in the Toronto area some day. Prog on!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by Progatron View Post
    I knew it.

Zing!

(But) Seriously Dave, I'm glad you guys enjoyed the gig so much, it was a treat for us as well. I'm happy to have been in the audience for the first of hopefully many! I hope to see you guys in the Toronto area some day. Prog on!
    Likewise. It was great meeting you and everyone that came up to me from PE.
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 09:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Yeah. Like maybe this weekend!! I'm flying down to Miami for the UK show at Grand Central this Saturday night--Wish you guys could open!!

-Rich
    You and me both. I think I'm going to that show at least. Not gonna miss that. We're also going to see Clapton... hmmm... wonder if it's the same night though.

Lots of new pics from the show posted on our Facebook page if anyone is curious to see. http://www.facebook.com/soundofcontact We had Marillion's photographer Andy Wright do some cool ones on and off stage. Also working on some audio for people to hear as well.

Here are the tour dates for the Spock's Beard/Beardfish/Sound of Contact gigs. If any PE'ers are going just let me know. We will have the album on CD for sale exclusively during these shows. http://www.soundofcontact.com/tour-dates/

Is there a threshold beyond which self-promotion becomes obnoxious? Just asking.

I am dying to get this CD. I wish I could time travel so I could get it already!

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    I am dying to get this CD. I wish I could time travel so I could get it already!
    I've tried time traveling. Believe me it doesn't end well. I wrote 'Timesteps' over all that. Don't try it, you'll save a bundle on snorkels alone.

Quote Originally Posted by jupiter0rjapan View Post
    Ironically that's partially what the album is about! Time travel... and other traveling.

If you happen to live in Europe or want to go on a vacation there in May we will have the album on CD at the show before it's official release on May 20th.

Squids, Keep talking, I really enjoy reading about the new band. Simon is a mix of Father Phil and Gavin Harrison? You had me at Phil, but Gavin? This I gotta hear!

Ironically that's partially what the album is about! Time travel... and other traveling.

If you happen to live in Europe or want to go on a vacation there in May we will have the album on CD at the show before it's official release on May 20th.
    Sounds like a premise for a great album. Living in the remotes means I'll have to wait until May 20th. Since (sadly) time travel doesn't work too well for me, except on paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Splicer View Post
    Is there a threshold beyond which self-promotion becomes obnoxious? Just asking.
    It must suck to be forced to open threads at gunpoint.

Yours is the lone obnoxious post in this otherwise enjoyable thread. Just answering.
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

If anyone else doesn't like it they don't have to read or respond. So...
    Granted. You were decent enough to respond so I will as well. I suppose I was in a snarky mood set off by my neurotic nature to see patterns. For example, on another site in another community I frequently see a Brit gentleman posting on a rather frequent basis. Every post no matter the topic will eventually come around in the second or third sentence to be about him and what he's doing (i.e. "I really love that new Pynchon book but did you know I was working on a book" or "I think the new Joshua Bell album is probably his best work but let me tell you about when I got to wax his violin"). After a while, it's become a rather running inside joke. I suppose I had a residual feeling of that when I popped onto here.

People are absolutely right to promote their work anyway they see fit. I suppose it's my right to make comments if I want to but I will try to have another cup of coffee first the next time the impulse strikes.

I'm perfectly fine with self-promotion, progressive rock is a unique genre it's all about getting the word out. Squids has contributed to many a thread here providing insider insight to some of our favorite prog-tagonists, and I look forward to reading and hearing more!

-noisynoise
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

I'm excited to hear what's up. I think we'd all be asking Dave about this hot new band if he didn't start a thread. SoC has two PE members in it too, so all the more reason for the interest.

Yeah, the trailer has me intrigued - I want to hear more.

As for me, May 20 seems a long way away. So keep it up, Dave!

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support and I'm glad you're interested.

We'll have some new clips to listen to very soon!
    Last edited by Squids; 08-10-2013 at 08:59 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I'm excited to hear what's up. I think we'd all be asking Dave about this hot new band if he didn't start a thread. SoC has two PE members in it too, so all the more reason for the interest.
    I became interested in this band when I heard Simon Collins was in it. I stumbled upon his cover of Keep In Dark on YouTube. I tried looking for his CDs on Amazon, but they don't seem to carry too many of his CDs.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the support and I'm glad you're interested.

We'll have some new clips to listen to very soon! I'm heading out with Simon in a little bit to look for a place to shoot our first music video in a couple of days. We have The Big Lebowski playing right now at HQ. We quote that movie all the time so I just put it on haha.
    If your band makes a music video, then they aren't prog.