Page 26 of 27 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact: New Progressive Rock Band with Simon Collins & Squids!

WeatherWiseCDC
    I'll keep these here for archival reasons.

A few interviews from today in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

WZZM 13 ABC TV, Grand Rapids:

WXMI FOX 17, West Michigan:

Still bumed they did interviews but no gig here. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    I see an inky keyboard player. I thought he wasn't in that band anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    WXMI FOX 17, West Michigan:

Simon was gracious not to correct Doofus when he said the band was from the England. Though most could people could probably suss out their origins from how they say "pro-cess".
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Right SteveSly, GR was always the Progressive Rock outlet in Michigan, most recently for me it was Porcupine Tree making it's way through. Often this was the only stop in the state or even the region for many bands - I've seen Marillion, Discipline, Dream Theatre just to name a few, who came here rather than larger markets simply because of the demand. I hope our local outlet isn't drying up. I was told this became the place to be for Prog in the 80's when there was a well known and influential DJ (Aris Hampers) on a local radio station (WLAV) that played prog and got the local market into the genre. I'm sure that can't happen anymore as all the playlists are dictated from the top down and streamed from a digital playlist. I doubt the DJ's these days even have any input as to the songs that get played, all they do is pause the playlist to insert commercials or some sort of witty monologue.

With that said I was also greatly disappointed that SoC didn't book a gig here, when I saw their interview schedule I assumed there would be one, sure was surprised when there wasn't.

WeatherWiseCDC
    From this morning, a performance and interview on FOX 2 Detroit.

Quote Originally Posted by Neworldmike View Post
    Right SteveSly, GR was always the Progressive Rock outlet in Michigan, most recently for me it was Porcupine Tree making it's way through. Often this was the only stop in the state or even the region for many bands - I've seen Marillion, Discipline, Dream Theatre just to name a few, who came here rather than larger markets simply because of the demand. I hope our local outlet isn't drying up. I was told this became the place to be for Prog in the 80's when there was a well known and influential DJ (Aris Hampers) on a local radio station (WLAV) that played prog and got the local market into the genre. I'm sure that can't happen anymore as all the playlists are dictated from the top down and streamed from a digital playlist. I doubt the DJ's these days even have any input as to the songs that get played, all they do is pause the playlist to insert commercials or some sort of witty monologue.

With that said I was also greatly disappointed that SoC didn't book a gig here, when I saw their interview schedule I assumed there would be one, sure was surprised when there wasn't.
    Yup, Aris Hampers and WLAV were the reason prog got so big in Grand Rapids back in the 80’s and early 90’s. Aris was a DJ, and I think eventually became program director and was responsible for Marillion, Camel, Dream Theater and quite a few other bands of that genre getting actual radio airplay. Marillion headlined Devos Hall twice in the 80’s and sold it out both times which was a pretty remarkable achievement. I was at both shows and they were incredible. After Fish’s departure they played The Orbit Room / Club Eastbrooke on every tour up through “This Strange Engine” and again was able to sell it out several times. The only tour I missed was “Holidays In Eden”, but was at all the other ones. My first exposure to Dream Theater was also at The Orbit Room when WLAV sponsored a $1.97 ticket concert on the “Images And Words” tour, and they blew the place away. Camel is another band that never played the city, but used to get played a lot on the station. The popularity of prog during this time also allowed bands like Discipline, Echolyn and others to play the town several times. I only remember Porcupine Tree playing Grand Rapids twice and only once as a headliner, but I could be wrong on that. At one time in the 90’s Grand Rapids had two complete CD Stores that specialized in progressive rock, which again was very unusual.

Unfortunately today, it is all changed. WLAV is a “classic rock” station that plays pretty much all oldies. Aris quit radio and opened his own music store for a while, but that went under about the same time that all the other ones did. Marillion has not played GR since “This Strange Engine”, Dream Theater has not played GR since “Awake” I think, Fish has not played GR since “Sunsets On Empire”. It has pretty much all dried up unfortunately. I was also hoping for a Sound Of Contact show. I would think some place like The Intersection or Pyramid Scheme would have been perfect. Oh well…..what can ya do I guess…….

The prog scene in GR (and K-zoo) was always strong, and the live scene went back to the mid-late 70s. The band I played in gigged alot at original Intersection and gulp, the Bavarian back then. We went over very well, playing Genesis, Yes, originals, and having bass pedals and mellotron to create it.

Quote Originally Posted by philsunset View Post
    The prog scene in GR (and K-zoo) was always strong, and the live scene went back to the mid-late 70s. The band I played in gigged alot at original Intersection and gulp, the Bavarian back then. We went over very well, playing Genesis, Yes, originals, and having bass pedals and mellotron to create it.
    Never went to the Bavarian, but saw quite a few shows at the old original Intersection. The new Intersection is much much much better…..

WeatherWiseCDC
    Today's performance on WGN-9 Morning News in Chicago:

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    I see an inky keyboard player. I thought he wasn't in that band anymore.
    I am the Paulrus. I may not be in the band anymore now but of course it doesn't change that I was a co-founder of the band, co-writer of every song on the record as well as the co-producer of the album... plus what are they going to do take me out of the music video? They're just showing a music video that featured me (and Wes) in it. Nice to be included by someone! But, I'm barely mentioned otherwise and it's as if I was never there. I must have vanished into another dimension. Here are some previous interviews we've done.

In our own words at around 5:25 in part 2 for some clarity.
    Last edited by Squids; 04-19-2014 at 11:24 AM.

Yeah, well... karma It'll come around... wazzup with teh Peart Project?

Quote Originally Posted by trurl View Post
    Yeah, well... karma It'll come around... wazzup with teh Peart Project?
    Your track is freakin' KILLER that's what's up. I'm recording a few more tracks for the album and I think we're looking at a Summer release. Additional surprise guests have been added. I also need to release one or two of my own original tunes first so no one gets the impression I'm only about doing covers or something. I like to write as much as produce so that's been stepped up a bit for obvious reasons.

What! Progressive rock discussed on daytime TV. Nice going SOC.

SOC played two fantastic shows on the CTTE. Something super special happened when they played the theater. After playing Dimensionaut in its entirety (that’s special enough for me) Hackett joined up on stage to play on a new tune. I've never seen Hackett improvise, but within a flash he took hold of the song (We're Not Alone?) meshing his styling and tone perfectly with the sound and contact! of the band. I was hoping to see Hackett with SOC, and it happened, and it was so freaking awesome. Thus, Reggie’s on the 2nd is calling.

Regarding WLAV in the late 70's & early 80's - every Friday night at midnight they would play a progressive album, unfortunately, that doesn't happen anymore. I don't recall the name of the show, but I do have a fond memory of sitting and listening to The Lamb, note for note, whilst those around me found another joy in drink, sleep, or sex. I had my progorities.

That wasn't a new song. It was a song from Simon's 3rd solo album U-Catastrophe (which you should get). It's a song called "Fast Forward The Future" and features Hackett's solo there as well. "Big Bang" (the drum duet song which I co-wrote with him and the original features Phil) was also from Simon's solo album.

Well damn, it wasn't that special after all! Thanks for setting the record straight. Squids, you were missed. I really like the work you did on the Dimensionaut recording; one can clearly hear your writings, style, and talent in the compositions. Your contribution is notable and not to be forgotten. I look forward to hearing new works from you. I'll also give a listen to "FFTF” so I’ll know just what the hell I’m talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    Well damn, it wasn't that special after all! Thanks for setting the record straight. Squids, you were missed. I really like the work you did on the Dimensionaut recording; one can clearly hear your writings, style, and talent in the compositions. Your contribution is notable and not to be forgotten. I look forward to hearing new works from you. I'll also give a listen to "FFTF” so I’ll know just what the hell I’m talking about.
    Thanks Fox. I was just clarifying so you'd know it's something you can actually go buy on i-Tunes if you're curious. Both Hackett and Phil appear as guests on his solo album. Also Simon's album "U-Catatstrophe" is a good representation of Simon's style of writing. It's times like this when I wish I had a few solo albums before I did the band thing so people could recognize my style in it (even though it's not hard to imagine since it's very keyboard-heavy prog anyway... but perhaps people don't know how heavy I am into writing lyrics. After working with Kevin Gilbert I pushed myself for years to be a better lyricist). Anyway, I guess that'll just have to happen after the fact for everyone's next music. At the moment it's a little convoluted and mysterious. That can only last for so long before reality sets in.

By the way, even though I'm not thrilled to be forgotten about in interviews when they discuss how the band started or who did what on the album, I'm still good pals with some of the guys in the touring outfit and I wish them well. All great players and I am happy our music is still being played live even if it's without me. By all means go see the show if it comes near you. I imagine it's good. I'm going to go see it myself at some point.

I've been very impressed with your responses in this thread, Squids. Speaks well of you and your future.

WeatherWiseCDC
    It's good to hear from you, Dave. I am definitely disappointed at the lack of acknowledgement in regards to your contributions to the entire project, and I am a little worried about the future of the band without your creative input. Fortunately, there's enough online that if people do a little bit of digging they'll realize how important you are to this puzzle. I think the interviews you did last year better represented the ideas and inspiration for the band than some of the interviews given this past week. We all very much miss your presence with the band, but I guess things happen.

I greatly anticipate your solo work, Dave, and I hope you continue to expand on your original ideas. We're all confident you can produce a lot of terrific original music, so please don't hesitate!

Quote Originally Posted by Squids View Post
    I am the Paulrus.
    Goo goo ka joob! I knew I could lure you out of your submarine cave.

But now that we know the part you played on Dimensionaut it'll be very interesting to see what kind of changes take place on the follow up.
    Last edited by Paulrus; 04-20-2014 at 04:54 PM.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Mod or rocker? Mocker. Frumious B's Avatar
    Looking at the clips from different times it seems like Collins has had a little bit of a fashion/image makeover to resemble a sort of hipster version of his pop...haircut, darker color, brainy specs, stocking cap...
    "It was a cruel song, but fair."-Roger Waters

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post

Regarding WLAV in the late 70's & early 80's - every Friday night at midnight they would play a progressive album, unfortunately, that doesn't happen anymore. I don't recall the name of the show, but I do have a fond memory of sitting and listening to The Lamb, note for note, whilst those around me found another joy in drink, sleep, or sex. I had my progorities.
    Yea, I think they used to play an album at midnight every night of the week, but Friday's were always reserved for prog rock. I can't remember the name of the show either, but I was turned on to a lot of great music from that. Didn't Aris have a progressive rock show on Sunday nights as well? Maybe I am remembering things wrong (my brain ain't what it used to be), not sure.....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Yea, I think they used to play an album at midnight every night of the week, but Friday's were always reserved for prog rock. I can't remember the name of the show either, but I was turned on to a lot of great music from that. Didn't Aris have a progressive rock show on Sunday nights as well? Maybe I am remembering things wrong (my brain ain't what it used to be), not sure.....
    I mentioned this on another thread but yesterday on the college radio station in Ann Arbor they played a 2-CD PROG album uninterrpted in it's entirety! It was great driving in my car and hearing prog over the airwaves. It took me back.

WeatherWiseCDC
    By the way, I must say I am really impressed with Randy McStine. He has a great voice and is a really talented guitarist.

Awesome job, Randy!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 04-26-2014 at 04:10 AM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    Canada AM this morning:

WeatherWiseCDC
    The band was featured on Shaw TV's The Rush in Vancouver on Wednesday. The studio is located downtown across from the Olympic cauldron at Canada Place.

Simon's interview prior to the performance:

The performance of "Pale Blue Dot":