Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627 LastLast

Thread: Sound of Contact: New Progressive Rock Band with Simon Collins & Squids!

Totally missed this thread. Never heard of Sound Of Contact until I saw them mentioned on some other threads. Well, I read a little bit about SOC on Wiki and I'm listening to something called Mobius Slip on Youtube. I didn't know Phil Collins had a musician son. He even sounds like his dad (and looks like him too). By the way Squids, I just noticed you say you live in Miami. I live here too (for far too long). Do you guys do any gigs in South Florida? If so I'm there.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    . Do you guys do any gigs in South Florida? If so I'm there.
    Hey Vic, come up to Gainesville and catch SOC with Little Atlas on the 30th of August. Not quite "SoFla..."

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Totally missed this thread.
    Yeah, those 17-pagers that have been on or close to the front page for 8 months are easy to overlook. I kid, of course. Great band, great album - saw them live once and will be seeing them again in September!
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

Quote Originally Posted by littleatlas_steve View Post
    Hey Vic, come up to Gainesville and catch SOC with Little Atlas on the 30th of August. Not quite "SoFla..."
    But a shitload closer to you than Chicago, Vic!

BTW, if you're not familiar with Little Atlas (you probably are since they were formed in Miami), you should get familiar.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Of course I know Little Atlas. Saw them a few times and have a few of their CDs. Gainseville is a bit of a haul for me. I was just curious since Squids lives in Miami if they do any gigs here. Well, guess I'll have to get on a mailing list or check their site more often.

So, in that classic backstage photo after the "Six Of The Best" '82 reunion gig, where Tony Smith is cutting the cake, is that Simon the little tyke watching him?
    Interviewer of reprobate ne'er-do-well musicians of the long-haired rock n' roll persuasion at: www.velvetthunder.co.uk and former scribe at Classic Rock Society. Only vaguely aware of anything other than music.

*** Join me in the Garden of Delights for 3 hours of tune-spinning... every Saturday at 5pm EST on Deep Nuggets radio! www.deepnuggets.com ***

WeatherWiseCDC
    Hi, Dave. All the best with the upcoming tour plans and music video projects. Just remember you guys need to gain the trust of the public through media exposure, guest appearances, interviews on national programming, talk show performances, whatever it takes. We all want you guys to succeed. Your music transcends the prog genre and can enter the mainstream if you guys market yourselves correctly. You shouldn't have to trap yourselves in the niche market that is prog. You guys can have a much wider appeal, and exposing yourselves to as many people as possible is probably your best method of reaching out. Use the media. Best of luck.

I thought I'd give this thread a bump since it's been a few months. I wanted to note a similarity I've found between Simon's voice and another vocalist's. I think Simon has a lot of elements of Blue Rodeo's Greg Keelor in his voice, especially when sings like he does in "Omega Point," "Keep It Dark," "Only Breathing Out," and in the second part of "Mobius Slip":

I don't think it's completely accurate to call Simon's voice a cross between his father's and Peter Gabriel's. I think one can throw Keelor's voice into that mix as well.

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 09-26-2013 at 02:26 AM.

Jon Neudorf
    Have had the album for a couple months now and it is excellent. Everything is so well done, very professional and yes, this album could have tremendous crossover appeal. Simon's voice is certainly a highlight as well.

Regards,
    Jon

I came a bit late to this album as well - but now I finally have it and have to chime in: It's fantastic stuff! Ok, there are 2 songs in the middle of the album that don't do much for me, but overall, it really is good. It's the kind of music I would have loved Genesis had made in their latter day. It will be in my Top-10 list of 2013! Hats off, and I'm looking forwards to a successor album!
    :-)

In my humble opinion, a great album, makes me feel like music used to.....

Dave not sure if you saw this but Steve Hackett gave you,simon and Sound of Contact a nice plug on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...d=123101228589
    Last edited by Gladiator1634; 10-01-2013 at 11:58 PM.

WeatherWiseCDC
    According to SoC's Facebook page, their music video for "Pale Blue Dot" should be released some time soon.

Also, have a look at who was at the Vancouver Canucks game tonight:

You guys should visit some time!
    Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 10-29-2013 at 03:14 AM.

Who is the elderly guy with the ugly glasses?
    Just kidding, of course. But do we know the guy on the right? (I don't)

WeatherWiseCDC
    Quote Originally Posted by ombasan View Post
    Who is the elderly guy with the ugly glasses?
    Just kidding, of course. But do we know the guy on the right? (I don't)
    That's the owner of the Vancouver Canucks, Francesco Aquilini. It looks like the two of them are having a bit of a chat. :P

Seems Phil stole Morty Seinfeld's glasses!

WeatherWiseCDC
    Here's a bit more from last night:

Last edited by WeatherWiseCDC; 10-29-2013 at 11:17 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherWiseCDC View Post
    That's the owner of the Vancouver Canucks, Francesco Aquilini. It looks like the two of them are having a bit of a chat. :P
    Of course we all know Simon Collins was born in London, England, and moved to Vancouver, British Columbia when he was eight years old. He first became involved with music when he was six after his father purchased for him a Tama drum kit. Collins would practice drumming by playing to the music albums in his parents' record collection as well as when accompanying his father while on tour with Genesis. Collins' experiences on tour allowed him to be mentored by his father and by the band's touring drummer, Chester Thompson. Though he had a percussion instructor when he was ten, Collins preferred drumming to artists such as Stewart Copeland, Gavin Harrison, and Keith Moon over his formal lessons in jazz drumming.

In his early teens, Collins learned to play the piano and began to develop his songwriting and singing abilities. While he exclusively played drums in numerous hard rock bands, Collins wanted to pursue singing, songwriting, and a more diverse selection of music styles, including pop, progressive rock, and electronica.

Hi Everyone,

In case you didn't see the other thread, Innerviews has a new interview with Dave "Squids" Kerzner, a longtime member of this forum.

The interview talks all about his music and sound design work. It also includes some great stories about him working with the Genesis camp, Kevin Gilbert, Neil Peart, Eels, Lo-Fi Resistance (Randy McStine) and much more.

It also focuses on Sound of Contact, his new band with Simon Collins (Phil Collins' son), as well as his Rush tribute project XYZ (featuring Rik Emmett and John Wesley).

Definitely a "proggy" interview. Hope you dig it.

http://www.innerviews.org/inner/kerzner.html

WeatherWiseCDC
    It looks like the band is taking a step forward. They've announced a number of scheduled television appearances to occur over the next few weeks.

https://www.facebook.com/soundofcont...&stream_ref=10

Sound of Contact
    8 hours ago · Edited

We are delighted to announce that, in addition to the North American concert tour dates, Simon and Matt along with Randy McStine, will be appearing live on a number of TV shows over the next few weeks. At this time, we have the following stations confirmed.

DIMENSIONAUT TV TOUR 2014
    April 14th – Dallas, TX:
    KDFW-TV (FOX ) – Performance + interview*

April 16th – Grand Rapids, MI:
    WXMI-TV (FOX ) – interview 8:40AM – live

April 16th – Grand Rapids, MI
    WZZM-TV (ABC) – interview 9:15AM (approx) – live

April 17th – Detroit, MI:
    WJBK-TV (FOX ) – Performance + interview 9:00AM hour - live

April 18th – Chicago, IL:
    WGN-TV (CW) - Performance + interview (8:20AM & 8:40AM COMING UP) 8:45AM Performance + interview – live

April 21st – Toronto, ON:
    Canada AM – Performance + interview 8:50AM - live

April 23rd – Vancouver, BC:
    The Rush – 1:05PM for interview, 1:35PM for performance – live

April 28th - New York City, NY: FOX Entertainment - Performance + interview - 11am – live

It looks like the band is taking a step forward. They've announced a number of scheduled television appearances to occur over the next few weeks.

]
    Interesting. 2 Grand Rapdis MI TV appearences yet no live show anywhere near the area that I am aware of. That seems odd......

It is a bit odd, but perhaps this is a separate endeavor from the actual tour. For instance, although they are appearing on Toronto television on April 21st, their gig here is not until May 1st.

In any event, I'm glad to see they are making a go of it, after the previous tour's disappointing cancellations.

neil

WeatherWiseCDC
    Canada AM should be good; unfortunately, I don't think any CTV affiliates outside of Ontario air Canada AM anymore. In BC, we have CTV Morning Live, our own local morning show. Still, the Toronto demographic is large.

The Rush is a bit disappointing because none of the major Vancouver networks air that program; it's an exclusive Shaw TV program. I'm not sure why they couldn't secure a spot on Global BC since Shaw owns Global as well. Bell TV customers don't get the Shaw TV station.

This appears to be their full schedule as of now:

Below is the full schedule for the tour from today's date.

April 8th Cruise To The Edge Q&A
    April 9th Cruise To The Edge Concert
    April 10th Cruise To The Edge Meet & Greet
    April 11th Cruise To The Edge Concert
    April 14th – Dallas, TX: KDFW-TV (FOX )
    April 16th – Grand Rapids, MI: WXMI-TV & WZZM-TV
    April 17th – Detroit, MI: WJBK-TV (FOX )
    April 18th – Chicago, IL: WGN-TV (CW)
    April 21st – Toronto, ON: Canada AM TV
    April 23rd – Vancouver, BC: The Rush TV
    April 26th - Los Angeles, CA: SIR Studios Concert
    April 28th - New York, NY: FOX Entertainment TV
    April 29th - New York, NY: Santos Party House Concert
    April 30th - Quebec City, QC: Le Cabaret du Capitole Concert
    May 1st - Toronto, ON: Rock Pile East Concert
    May 2nd - Chicago, IL: Reggies Rock Club Concert
    May 3rd - Gettysburg, PA: RoSFEST Concert
    May 6th - Paris, FR: Le Trabendo Concert
    May 8th - London, UK: O2 Islington Academy Concert
    May 9th - Leamington Spa, UK: Assembly Concert
    May 10th - Zoetermeer, NL: De Boerderij Concert
    May 11th - Hamburg, GE: Markthalle
    May 12th - Copenhagen, DK: Hvidovre Medborgarsal

WeatherWiseCDC
    Here's the first of a few live TV performances from the band these next few weeks:

Quote Originally Posted by arabicadabra View Post
    In my humble opinion, a great album, makes me feel like music used to.....
    Ain't that the truth? I feel the same way.

… Francesco Aquilini. It looks like the two of them are having a bit of a chat. :P
    "The mains could be hung here… and over there. The lighting… in between there and there. Yourself, Peter, Tony, Michael and Steve could fill this room with glorious tones to cheers of many old and news fans. Phil, you must make the comeback. You must… you must feel it. Can you feel it?"