Thread: The Blue Ship ~ The Executioner's lover

The Blue Ship ~ The Executioner's lover

This is out on Altrock for a while now but I haven't seen discussed here yet.

Altrock seems to keep rather quiet in promoting their new material lately but I do think this one deserves some more attention.
    I listened to a few bits on bandcamp a while back and my initial reaction was : Ugh! not for me. Chamber rock with musical-like vocals.

I do not like musicals.

Fortunately it was available on progstreaming so I listened some more. I still wasn't sure I liked the vocals but the music was actually very good. One must never get too comfortable with listening so i thought it was time to order. I am glad I did.

This album deserves praise for the fact that it is very orignal alone. Not too many bands can claim that nowadays. Like I said: chamber rock with broadway like vocals. Those vocal do take some time to get used to but it is worth it. Musically it is simply great. My biggest complaint is that on the first CD the emphasis is probably too much on the vocals. I would like to see the instrumental bits a bit extended to get a better balance.

The second CD is totally different. This is only one 20 minute tune. NO vocals, no rock, no electric instruments; just a classical string quartet. Somewhere between Beethoven and Bartok, amazing!

Give this a listen on bandcamp or Progstreaming. It is really a very talented and original bunch.

I adore musicals But I must also say: when I started listening to the first song of this album and the singing came in it, took a few sentences before I thought, well, it's just right!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I listened to it on progstreaming and really struggled with out, doubt I'll buy it.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

The more listen to it, the more I like it and the less the vocals bother me.
    Hell- it's even getting addictive! This is going to make my 2014 top 10.