Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Charlie Parker

Quote Originally Posted by davis View Post
    wait a second; maybe I'm thinking Getz because of one of the videos in this thread. actually I think the name the guy said was Dave Brubeck. I mean I can't prove it, but I recall the remark came across as criticism that Fagen and Becker were hardly original cause they stole so much from Brubeck. I remember now; that's the correct name. sorry about that mix-up.
    I'm definitely noticing a pattern here. Perhaps they were also influenced by Benny Goodman and Don Ellis?

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    I'm definitely noticing a pattern here. Perhaps they were also influenced by Benny Goodman and Don Ellis?
    It's a continuous cycle. Ellis and Brubeck didn't invent the odd rhythms they incorporated in their music, but they put their own spin on things.

And classical composers such as Bartok wrote music for Benny Goodman. There's a recording of the original Contrasts w/ Bartok at the piano and Goodman on clarinet. It's a Columbia recording.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    okay, but if I saw the nane 'Don Ellis' outside of this thread, I might think he was a baseball player. as far as my memory of that conversation a few decades ago, it was definitely Brubeck. I have No idea of Benny Goodman influenced them.

I can't recall any of Don Elllis's rhythms off the top of my head, but Brubeck's Blue Rondo with the 2 against 3 meter was also used a lot by Frank Zappa. Tunes such as the guitar instrumental Five Five Five, and Big Swifty.

Ellis's big band music is a bit in your face for my taste, but I like his early 60s small group sessions. And George Russell's stuff too. I'm a big fan of most of his recordings. Ezz-thetics with Ellis and Eric Dolphy is a classic!
    Last edited by Reid; 12-12-2014 at 11:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    And classical composers such as Bartok wrote music for Benny Goodman. There's a recording of the original Contrasts w/ Bartok at the piano and Goodman on clarinet. It's a Columbia recording.
    I never knew that; interesting!

It's on this CD. The Bartok recording is from 1940. The rest of the material was recorded in the 60s.

Speaking of Bird and Diz- Years ago I saw their TV appearance on the Downbeat awards. They cook! Speedy riffing.

Becker and Fagen produced a record by Warne Marsh and Lee Konitz (or was it Pete Christleib?) that I used to play all the time at a used record shop that I managed. Steely Dan's jazzy sound was tempered by the inclusion of a lot of guitar which leaned more towards rock. I loved Denny Diaz and the other musicians early on. I wonder what became of some of them...
    Last edited by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof; 12-12-2014 at 12:38 PM.

The Complete Savoy and Dial Master Takes. - This is the one!

There are transcriptions that a fan made where they only recorded the solos. That's deep!

I also find the Parker with Strings recordings to be a guilty pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Blah_Blah_Woof_Woof View Post
    Speaking of Bird and Diz- Years ago I saw their TV appearance on the Downbeat awards. They cook!
    Yep; some of the only live footage of Bird:

I also find the Parker with Strings recordings to be a guilty pleasure.
    I dig it too; corny Mitch Miller arrangements be damned! Bird plays beautifully on it.

Quote Originally Posted by No Pride View Post
    Yep; some of the only live footage of Bird
    The only live footage with real sound (not 'mimed' sound)
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    The only live footage with real sound (not 'mimed' sound)
    I thought so, just wasn't sure about it.

There are transcriptions that a fan made where they only recorded the solos.
    The Dean Benedetti tapes, released by Mosaic Records years ago. I've yet to make my way all the way through them 'lo these many years later! It makes for weird listening.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Back while I was attending The Guitar Institute of Technology (GIT '79-80)...BEFORE it became a Metal-shredder factory, and while the teachers were all still from the LA studio-musician & Jazz scenes, for all of the classes we had on technique, theory & ear-training, the only "non-Guitar" related class we had was a class dedicated to studying the works of Parker & Coltrane!.....crap....learning those sax solos on guitar was a bitch and I hated every minute of it at the time but I'm very glad I stuck with it as it really helped my overall GTR technique.

I'm still not much of a Parker fan but DEFINATELY love Coltrane and his modal approach to melody.

Quote Originally Posted by Supersonic Scientist View Post
    the only "non-Guitar" related class we had was a class dedicated to studying the works of Parker
    I spent a LOT of time with the Omnibook as well......
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes