Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vinyl Packaging Plus

Rod Stewart, Ooh Lala. Couldn't you make the guys mouth move if you pressed something at the top of the album cover?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Yeah, that's what I initially thought, but thought there was more to it. Thanks.
    First, it was issued on a legendary indie label, Factory Records and at the times it was second only to Metal Box in terms of radical post-punk packaging. The abrasive outer cover stood in pleasing opposition to the music contained on the record inside.

Second, the sleeve made direct reference to the work of the Situationist International. It implied that it destroyed all the other records around it. An idea of the situationists was to issue a sandpaper covered book (the 1959 book Mémoires, a collaboration between Guy Debord and Danish artist Asger Jorn), designed to damage or destroy the books placed around it, the surface it was placed on, even the reader.
    Last edited by spacefreak; 12-17-2014 at 09:14 AM.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    But, you couldn't call it The White ALbum, then, could you?

The original title was to be "A Doll's House." I can only imagine the cover.

But, I digress.
    I've seen that cover, it was painted by my fav album cover artist, namely Patrick, who did all those great Gerry Raferty albums.

http://www.thewhitealbumproject.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AZProgger View Post
    The Deep Purple Perfect Strangers 12" single came with a poster of the Purple family tree.

The cover of Ambrosia's Somewhere I've Never Traveled folds into a pyramid.

My copy of Thick As A Brick includes a mock newspaper.
    Huh. I've got no family tree in my 12'' PS. I must have bought the lame version.

I picked up TAAB used years ago with a newspaper clipping from a local paper that has a odd but fitting review of the album. It has some added flair which is cool.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Quote Originally Posted by PeterG View Post
    I've seen that cover, it was painted by my fav album cover artist, namely Patrick, who did all those great Gerry Raferty albums.

http://www.thewhitealbumproject.com/
    I forgot about that. So, yes, I've seen it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Did anyone mention Sweet's "Give Us a Wink" -- where the eye opens and closes as one pulls the inner sleeve out of the outer sleeve and pushes it back in (wink wink nudge nudge).

I love the fact that a wink is often used to signify a sexual innuendo, and in this case, Sweet used it as a synonym.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I recently got a mint copy of Black Oak Arkansas - High on the Hog. I know a lot of people can't stand them, but I think that's one of the coolist covers ever and it still had the poster inside which looked like it was never opened up.

Absolute Elsewhere: In Search Of Ancient Gods

The first edition came with a book. One of the next had just the painted head of the book on the cover.

Kurt Rongey's CD "Book In Hand" came with a lyric-book.

Jack Rieley adn Machiel Botman: "Western Justice" (featuring Eddie Jobson) came with a lyric-book/diary and a newspaper

Steve Hillage album (can't recall which one) came with a poster

Tomita - Snowflakes are Dancing also came with a poster

I have both of these.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    On the original US LP of Marillion's "Clutching at Straws," the band name was in nicely raised type. Looked pretty good!

They do that a lot on books. Wonder why not on LPs?

Quote Originally Posted by nosebone View Post
    Alice Cooper School's Out came in a mock old school desk with a pair of pink panties.

I got that album when I was ten and those panties got as much attention as the music.
    Why....did they fit?

I always thought Brain Salad Surgery's packaging was pretty cool the way it opened up in the middle. The original Welcome Back My Friends had the albums held in by the cutout ELP.