Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Decemberists-The Hazards Of Love

Quote Originally Posted by notallwhowander View Post
    I spent a while thinking " I've heard that voice before somewhere" then it struck me - Brian Molko of Placebo! Anyone else think that?

I dislike the band quite intensely. I have not heard the latest, though, so if they've changed I'd be open to giving it a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Well, I'll give this another listen....although I happen to be one of those that doesn't hear much "prog" in Pink Floyd (and I don't care much for their music for some reason) so this just might not be for me. I also have Picaresque, but I think I found even less to like on that one. This seems to be one of those bands where opinions are all over the map, making it hard to make sense of what albums I might like.

Edit: not that music has to have prog elements to be enjoyable...far from it. But it might help this band, lol...
    Well I was just going to say, just because it's prog doesn't make it good! I love it, but it might not be your cuppa...

Played this in the van today. Killer record; played it to death when I was a senior in high school and playing it today took me right back in time. If "The Wanting Comes in Waves/Repaid" isn't prog, I'll eat my hat.

Break out the chianti...

Just kidding - if it's prog to you, Ian, I'm not going to argue. That's not a bad tune, one of the better ones on the album. It's just not my thing.
    Last edited by Plasmatopia; 12-10-2014 at 07:38 PM.
    <sig out of order>

Estimated Prophet notallwhowander's Avatar
    For me, the music of this band comes together once I understand the lyrics. Then, I often find the music just about perfect.

I haven't found my into The King is Dead, though. Bu then, I haven't put in the time. They stripped out a lot of the overt quirkiness that I've found so charming.
    Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world.

How is this not the prog?? (Also is this how you embed a youtube?)
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/13K76M80uQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Apparently not! Help!

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    How is this not the prog??
    Quote Originally Posted by revporl View Post
    Apparently not! Help!
    Place "what is prog?" in the search box and read the 500 threads that come back.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I loved it on release and I love it still. I spent many a car journey with my kids trying to work out the twists and turns of the story, we all got totally into it. I saw the tour when it came to London, it was brilliant to hear the whole piece live. I also saw The Crane Wife tour (and indeed The King Is Dead), and love that album too.

I do have everything they have released, and although they vary significantly over the albums, I think there is great music and brilliant songwriting on each and every one.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Place "what is prog?" in the search box and read the 500 threads that come back.
    Exactly. Not only an ultimately fruitless discussion, but....who cares? If you like it, end of story...
    <sig out of order>