Thread: At Last!!! The Dawn of the LP-R

At Last!!! The Dawn of the LP-R

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...-c/description

Turn all your crappy MP3s into high-fidelity through the magic of vinyl!
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-06-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Plus you've gotta wonder how much blank media will cost....

...not to mention that the technology to rip vinyl will only be as good as the DAC that's associated with it.....because even if you have a high res digital file, how that gets converted to analog to be "ripped" will be actually, I think, more important than the actual technology behind the ripper itself.

Yoikes!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Apparently the disks cut with this sound MUCH warmer than regular LPs, and are already making LPs seem like low fidelity media that should be scrapped.

Profondo Giallo Crystal Plumage's Avatar
    Well, there's this ofcourse:
    ETA is early April 2015
    HuGo
    "Very, very nice," said a man in the crowd,
    When the golden voice appeared.
    She was gold alright, but then so is rust.
    "Such a shame about the beard."

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    I love the test engineer. He looks adorable.
    How do you know he isn't a she?
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Apparently the disks cut with this sound MUCH warmer than regular LPs, and are already making LPs seem like low fidelity media that should be scrapped.
    Oh, Snap!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I think the idea of latheing directly into PVC is interesting. Instead of latheing an acetate, and creating a metal stamper from that, and then melting a PVC biscuit into the stamper under pressure, this gizmo apparently cuts grooves directly into a PVC blank. Will it work? Will all the artistry required to control the depth and width of the grooves to prevent them touching, be built into the electronics somehow? "Cutting engineers" were highly prized for their skill and artistry. Will a PVC blank, soft enough to be cut by this machine, be hard enough to stand up to repeated plays by a diamond needle?

So many questions. So few benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    If it is she's a real dog.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Turns out there was (past tense?) another unit already on the market (10,733 euros) for doing the same thing:
    http://www.audiomasterclass.com/the-...d#.VISTmEc76rV
    http://www.gearjunkies.com/product_i...ducts_id=11591
    And this German website for yet another home cutting lathe uses kinda goofy text and pictures, but does a good job of describing the difficulties to be expected:
    http://www.vinylrecorder.com/index-e.html#faq
    don't bother waste of money...takes years of training to know the Art of vinyl mastering and cutting its no easy thing its a whole science
    Source
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 12-07-2014 at 01:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Cooper sounds like a male name to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Rarebird View Post
    Cooper sounds like a male name to me.
    These threads get derailed so easily

Now, if they can come up with a product that will take a crappy release, like, say, my wife's John Travolta album, heat it to remove the grooves and then let you cut something better into it, then we wouldn't be creating more cheap petroleum-based landfill. Repurposing vinyl is more responsible. Of course, if it's something that hipsters would go for, I'd be against it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

RCA tried melting down and re-using unsold vinyl in the 1970s. Their problem turned out to be it was nearly impossible to separate out the paper bits from the label.

Will the "Integrated Vacuum Chip Sucker" be sold separately? In case you want (to be) just a sucker?

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    RCA tried melting down and re-using unsold vinyl in the 1970s. Their problem turned out to be it was nearly impossible to separate out the paper bits from the label.
    This always depresses the hell out of me. How many thrift-store copies of John Denver’s Greatest Hits used to be unsold copies of Annette Peacock’s I’m the One or Labelle’s Pressure Cookin’?
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    This always depresses the hell out of me. How many thrift-store copies of John Denver’s Greatest Hits used to be unsold copies of Annette Peacock’s I’m the One or Labelle’s Pressure Cookin’?
    Not that many. Somehow I doubt a whole lot were pressed -- it's more likely the other way, unsold Denver melted down to press Peacocks.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ... Repurposing vinyl is more responsible. Of course, if it's something that hipsters would go for, I'd be against it.
    I'd vote for repurposing (thanks ron - another new word for my vocabulary) vinyl albums as fetish duds.
    what if the hipsters lied just to fool you and get you to agree with what they really want? oh, they're not that clever or devious, right? so self-absorbed that they'd never consider you and your ODD.

I'm going to wait for the LP-RW to be perfected, then I'll buy it.

Hmmmm.... repurposing vinyl....is that like shingling my garage roof w/ LPs ? I always wanted to do that....

I just want the machine. Looks impressive. Is that a big red panic button in the third photo?
    The older I get, the better I was.

Quote Originally Posted by Staun View Post
    I just want the machine. Looks impressive. Is that a big red panic button in the third photo?
    It's actually a "flipper". There is one on the other side too, but you can't see it in the photo. The machine doubles as a pinball machine when you aren't busy "burning" LP's.

"It's a floor wax...it's a dessert topping..." (SNL-1976).