Thread: DVD- RTF- Live At Montreux 2008

DVD- RTF- Live At Montreux 2008

Bought this when it came out, watched it a couple of times, then forgot I owned it. Dusted it off over the weekend and listened to it with fresh ears, and loved it! Initially, I found the versions may have leaned more heavily on the traditional jazz side of their fusion equation; which would make sense given the musical journeys these musicians took (esp Corea) since the songs were first penned. However, I think the material shines through! DiMeola and Clarke particularly sparkle on this DVD, imo...

I missed this tour as I had booked a vacation out of town that coincided with this tour.

Opinions about this DVD or the tour in general?

Last edited by Yves; 12-05-2014 at 11:00 AM.
    "Corn Flakes pissed in. You ranted. Mission accomplished. Thread closed."

-Cozy 3:16-

I agree about the "more jazz" thing. But still it is great. I kind of regretted buying it at first, thinking it would be the same old same old. But they were able to keep it fresh. That being said, the live set with Ponty is even better IMHO. Totally kicking myself for missing that tour...

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Saw both tours. Both were great, but I liked the Ponty/Gambale iteration a bit more. I don't know if this had to do with the history of bad blood between Chick and Al D., but even Stanley seemed to play better, the band more "relaxed" on the latter tour. I have the '08 DVD and do enjoy it, as well as the "Mothership Returns" set.

It was a geriatric version of the band. If I recall Lenny White was dealing with a torn rotator cuff injury. All the tunes seemed like they were played in slo-mo. Al DiMeola was the saving grace. He slayed all night long. Looking forward to his upcoming Electric Rendevous tour next year.

saw both tours and loved both equally
    it was impressive how Lenny brought it on the first tour... even with his one gimpy arm

the DVD is essential as is the OGWT video from back in the day
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by LASERCD View Post
    It was a geriatric version of the band. If I recall Lenny White was dealing with a torn rotator cuff injury. All the tunes seemed like they were played in slo-mo. Al DiMeola was the saving grace. He slayed all night long. Looking forward to his upcoming Electric Rendevous tour next year.
    Checked this out. Might be something to get to next year.

I'm in two minds about this: I saw RTF twice in the 70's, and both times were amongst the most energetic, tight, mind-blowing displays of virtuosity imaginable. The re-union could never live up to that legacy, but I'm not sure that it was expected to. Considering that proper "Fusion" died a miserable death quite a ways back, I give them kudos for re-examining their catalog, and agree that DiMiola matured by leaps and bounds in the interim. And Lenny can do no wrong in my eyes, and ears.

lenny_white02milano2006.jpg

Al Di has always been wonderful live, I've been seeing him since the late 80's. I'm a gonna try to catch him this time around as well.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

I saw the reunion tour with Al on guitar, and I thought it was great. Mind you, I don't have any of the RTF albums, but hearing most of that material cold for the first time, I thought it sounded great.

REALLY wanted to see the tour but decided to settle for the CD/DVD (Both of which blow me away.)

Romantic Warrior has always a fave album for me since the day I first heard in in the mid-80's.

Can't imagine what it would have been like to see these guys when the album came out. And Mahavishnu too. What a great double bill that would have been if they had both been at the height of their powers at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    REALLY wanted to see the tour but decided to settle for the CD/DVD (Both of which blow me away.)

Romantic Warrior has always a fave album for me since the day I first heard in in the mid-80's.

Can't imagine what it would have been like to see these guys when the album came out. And Mahavishnu too. What a great double bill that would have been if they had both been at the height of their powers at the same time.
    They were. I guess we all have different definitions of "height of their powers".

Quote Originally Posted by musicislife View Post
    They were. I guess we all have different definitions of "height of their powers".
    Fair assessment. In my view respective "height" was only off by a couple of years. Still would have been transcendent regardless. Did it ever happen?

Quote Originally Posted by ytserush View Post
    Fair assessment. In my view respective "height" was only off by a couple of years. Still would have been transcendent regardless. Did it ever happen?
    I believe it happened with the acoustic RTF (Corea/Clarke/Airto/Flora/Joe Farrell). Remember that Johnny Mac and Chick were buds for a few years by then.

I loved both tours. Al had lots more solos than Gambale. With Ponty, all hotshot soloists, so it was to be expected. I saw RTF in the mid 70s, then 83. I'm looking forward to Al's Electric Rendezvous tour as well.
    Of course, I wish i'd seen them with Connors.