Thread: SHM - SACD ???

SHM - SACD ???

Just had my 5.1 system installed yesterday with a blu - ray player that plays SACD. I was looking on ebay at Steely Dan - Aja on SHM - SACD...Any thoughts
    on it and SHM - SACD in general???

I love SACD in general, not familiar with any SHM-SACD though I know what it is -- not sure I'm a believer (in the SHM part). sh.tv might have more answers.
    Last edited by Dusty Chalk; 12-03-2014 at 01:20 PM.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Just to make sure- you do know this one (Aja) is not 5.1, right?
    Actually I am not sure I even encountered a 5.1 SHM SACD, they are all stereo afaik.
    RE SHM-SACD - havent heard one yet so cant comment, but my impression is that the difference in quality between regular CD and SACD is more dependant on the mastering
    (ie you could have an SACD which sounds worse than the CD, and I do have some of those in my collection)
    My interest in SACD is mostly due to its surround capabilities, and I have a collection of about 200.

Edit: If you are a fan of Steely Dan and have SACD 5.1 capabilities, then Gaucho is a MUST, one of the best sounding music that I own in any format.

I had to look this up cause the recent Present remastered for Japan reiises were SHM
    http://shm-cd.co-site.jp/about/about_e.html

Personally I haven't noticed the SHM discs being all that better sounding. But that and SACD are 2 different animals.
    The SHM discs are a physical difference. They use ground up LCD displays for what they consider a surface with less optical errors.
    SACD is a format which can be either stereo, 5.1 or hybrid (both).
    My SACDs sound fantastic. I seem to like them a bit better than DTS, although both can be amazing in the right engineers hands. But take that with a grain of salt because the Genesis remasters in SACD are totally fucked compared to the DTS. I didn't realize it until I compared them both to a friend of mine and left my jaw on the floor.
    Also, I generally like the Japanese remasters, but just can't justify updating any of those to SHM. Again, MOST of the time I've found these JP discs sound better than their past counterparts, but when you get into listening to the first run of YES CDs, they're horrific. Wish I hadn't bought them all at once.
    That said, I think I would find it very difficult to hear an appreciable difference between a normal SACD and a SHM-SACD. The price for those is extortionate.
    Hope this helps a bit.
    JG

"MARKLAR!"

Quote Originally Posted by progman1975 View Post
    Just had my 5.1 system installed yesterday with a blu - ray player that plays SACD. I was looking on ebay at Steely Dan - Aja on SHM - SACD...Any thoughts
    on it and SHM - SACD in general???
    SHM-SACDs are stereo only.

They have been discussed here. Probably a search would dig up my comments on some of the ones I think are great.

But if surround is your goal, look elsewhere.

Thanks guys...I know its stereo only. Thanks for the Gaucho recommendation. Ordered. and Jeff, I did a search and didn't find anything...

Thanks guys...I know its stereo only. Thanks for the Gaucho recommendation. Ordered. and Jeff, I did a search and didn't find anything...
    If you have specific titles you are considering for purchase, let us know. If I've heard one you want, I'll chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffCarney View Post
    If you have specific titles you are considering for purchase, let us know. If I've heard one you want, I'll chime in.
    Cool. Thanx. Moonmadness and Snow Goose..I thought the remasters were wonderful. Would I Need these

Cool. Thanx. Moonmadness and Snow Goose..I thought the remasters were wonderful. Would I Need these
    For Snow Goose I prefer the more recent Platinum SHM or standard SHM, released in 2014. The SHM-SACD is from a Japanese copy tape.

Moonmadness SHM-SACD is out of this world. Best I've ever heard the album.

Differences on these will not be huge. I would definitely not bother unless money is no object or you truly love these albums and play them frequently.