Thread: FROGG CAFÉ Release Live Download of “The Admiral’s Picks: Volume 1” on 10T Records

FROGG CAFÉ Release Live Download of “The Admiral’s Picks: Volume 1” on 10T Records

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE:

December 1, 2014

FROGG CAFÉ Release Live Download of "The Admiral’s Picks: Volume 1" on 10T Records

Atlanta, GA - December 2, 2014 (10T Records) - 10T Records announces the first in a series of rare digital download-only live performance releases by New York’s esteemed Frogg Café. Admiral’s Picks: Volume 1 is now available for immediate download exclusively via 10T Records.

In a year that saw Frogg Café playing 27 shows up and down the East Coast and into Canada, Admiral’s Picks: Volume 1 displays the band firing on all cylinders. These tracks were all performed live in 2005, from clubs to festivals. Extended flights of improvisation can be heard in Moon Over My Hammy and Another Tsunami, recorded live at the Oasis in New Paltz, sometime after 2am. The set includes You Can't Turn the Air Conditioning Off on a Fat Guy, a sound-check jam, the world debut of Dance, and a rare unfinished Candy Korn that segues into Questions Without Answers. Additionally, Happy Ending Shuffle and Reluctant Observer feature what some die-hard Frogg Café fans call their favorite improvisations from the band to date.

"After hours of combing through much material that hadn't been listened to by the band in close to a decade, we present to you Volume One of a new series of Frogg Cafe discography known as Admiral's Picks," says bassist Andrew Sussman. "We’re really excited to be bringing these recordings to our loyal fans."

"We’re thrilled to bring the first in this planned series of live performances to the fans," says 10T Records president, Steve Carroll. "Frogg Café has always been regarded as a stellar live performance act and these recordings really bear that truth out! I also think everyone will be very pleased with how affordably-priced we've made this full-length release."

Admiral’s Picks: Volume 1 by Frogg Café is exclusively available for immediate download on the 10T Records site and is also now available to preview in its entirety exclusively on the Frogg Café artist page on the 10T Records website.

For further information:
    Steve Carroll
    10T Records
    www.10trecords.com

###

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Cool!

Just to clarify, this download is a complete show?

And are all the admiral's Picks going to be from 2005?

Who is The Admiral?

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post

"These tracks were all performed live in 2005, from clubs to festivals."

So, no.

Who is The Admiral?
    The Vicars' brother.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Cool!

And are all the admiral's Picks going to be from 2005?

Who is The Admiral?
    All of Volume 1 is from 2005 and culled from multiple shows. As far as the name... take a look at the Frogg back catalog and tell me how many of those titles make sense!...

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    "These tracks were all performed live in 2005, from clubs to festivals."

So, no.
    Yeah, I did see that. But then when I read "the set includes..." followed by several numbers that made it sound like this was a description of the New Paltz set, hence my uncertainty. It hinged on the use of the word "set."

I blame The Admiral.

I blame The Admiral.
    Oh, that guy makes me so mad!!!!!!

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Download only is me out but this appears to be a cool series.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Can we get a track and venue list for the songs on this release? I know there are a few Frogg Cafe members in this forum (and I think the Admiral is also here, although his identity will remain a secret).
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

Quote Originally Posted by paythesnuka View Post
    Can we get a track and venue list for the songs on this release? I know there are a few Frogg Cafe members in this forum (and I think the Admiral is also here, although his identity will remain a secret).
    The entire thing is streaming at the link in the OP. Track listings and times are also featured.

http://10trecords.com/artists/genres...e/discography/

I don't know the venue information though.

Here it is:

TRACK LISTING
    01. You Can’t Turn the Air Conditioning Off on a Fat Guy
    02. Admiral’s Intro
    03. Moon Over My Hammy
    04. Another Tsunami
    05. Space Dust
    06. Candy Korn
    07. Questions Without Answers
    08. Happy Ending Shuffle
    09. Reluctant Observer
    10. Dance
    11. Eternal Optimist

Steve
    www.10trecords.com

I'll only buy this if you reveal who The Admiral is. I don't want to unknowingly support a military figure whose views may be opposed to my own.

Thanks Steve. I was hoping one of the Froggies would chime in with the venues and dates because I want to see which of these songs I personally saw performed live. I went to a ton of FC shows during that time period.
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

chalkpie
    I'll only buy this if you reveal who The Admiral is. I don't want to unknowingly support a military figure whose views may be opposed to my own.
    The Admiral is Adam Rizzuti who is the biggest FC fanatic on the planet, booking manager, and good pal who doesn't mind tossing back a few fine ales in multiples of five or so. He has all of these recordings and knows all of it verbatim - dates and shit. He is also a huge Phish fanatic and UM fan. You met him at the brewery in NYC when we saw the KC gig. He is also an ex-smoker who likes an occasional cig like a vegetarian who likes an occasional tray of meatballs.

At the Orion, he was described as "the guy who makes us practice".

Haha. Funny reading all of that. Das Admiral will pipe in I'm sure. Don't remember a lot of those jams but that's mostly chalkpies fault for feeding me jamo's on an IV drip. He's always been a bad influence.

And Steve, all of those titles mean something...you still don't know what a "safenzee" is yet, do u? You'll never be the same.

Adam is planning on posting more details here, but he's having trouble accessing his account for some reason...it needs to be activated?
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    The Admiral is Adam Rizzuti who is the biggest FC fanatic on the planet, booking manager, and good pal who doesn't mind tossing back a few fine ales in multiples of five or so. He has all of these recordings and knows all of it verbatim - dates and shit. He is also a huge Phish fanatic and UM fan. You met him at the brewery in NYC when we saw the KC gig. He is also an ex-smoker who likes an occasional cig like a vegetarian who likes an occasional tray of meatballs.
    I'm glad I was able to make you crack.

BTW, I do know what a Safenzee is. A very reasonable safety step it is too.

Ok, I'll definitely download this!!

Ordered the MP3s. A little tagging would have been nice, but I think I've mentioned that to 10T before.

Just sayin'.

Quote Originally Posted by 10T Records View Post
    The entire thing is streaming at the link in the OP. Track listings and times are also featured.

http://10trecords.com/artists/genres...e/discography/

I don't know the venue information though.

Here it is:

TRACK LISTING
    01. You Can’t Turn the Air Conditioning Off on a Fat Guy - 10/21/05 Mr. Beery's, Bethpage, NY - soundcheck
    02. Admiral’s Intro - 8/27/05 Le Opera House, Toronto, ON - band introduction (made by me)
    03. Moon Over My Hammy - 8/19/05 Oasis Cafe, New Paltz, NY - set 3 opener (around 2am)
    04. Another Tsunami - 8/19/05 set 3 - segued out of Moon Over My Hammy
    05. Space Dust - 8/19/05 set 3 - segued out of Another Tsunami
    06. Candy Korn - 2/11/05 Mr. Beery's, Bethpage, NY
    07. Questions Without Answers - 2/11/05 Bethpage, NY
    08. Happy Ending Shuffle - 8/2/05 Munchaba Lounge, Levittown, NY (I'm sure this place has a new name now)
    09. Reluctant Observer - 8/2/05 Levittown
    10. Dance - 10/21/05 Bethpage
    11. Eternal Optimist - 8/27/05

Steve
    www.10trecords.com
    I was waiting for my account to reactivate. Apparently for years I've been a lurker not a poster. These are a few jams I can't get enough of. I already have ideas for Admiral's Picks v2. I'll be curious to hear what people think.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiriz View Post
    I was waiting for my account to reactivate. Apparently for years I've been a lurker not a poster. These are a few jams I can't get enough of. I already have ideas for Admiral's Picks v2. I'll be curious to hear what people think.
    Are you like Captain Crunch?

Wow, you guys are channeling Pompeii-era Floyd on Another Tsunami.

Just downloaded this morning. Love it. Very different from the studio cd's. In a good way. Krautrock, Floyd, Zappa.

EDIT: Hearing a lot of lounge jazz too...
    Last edited by arturs; 12-03-2014 at 09:55 AM.

I think I hear some marching band music too.

It's really good stuff. I have to agree with the Admiral - great solos.

Pete Pardo has published a review of this release over at Sea of Tranquility:

http://www.seaoftranquility.org/revi...ntent&id=16995

Frogg Cafe: Admiral's Picks-Volume 1

In the grand spirit of legendary live recordings by acts such as Frank Zappa or the Grateful Dead, this here is the first in what will be a series of live releases on 10T Records from New York based jazz-fusion/prog act Frogg Cafe. All the tracks on The Admiral's Picks-Volume 1 were recorded during a slew of live shows throughout the East Coast here in North America in 2005, and show not only the band's more than capable instrumental skills, but also their ability to craft daring yet memorable compositions.

There are some really lengthy, enjoyable pieces here that bridge the gap between Frank Zappa inspired jazz-fusion, sprawling prog rock, and even the exploratory nature of some of the best jam bands. "You Can't Turn the Air Conditioning Off On a Fat Guy" as well as the brilliant "Moon Over My Hammy" contain some sizzling passages, as the guitar, violin, and keys all weave splendid lines around each other, and the locked in rhythms from bassist Andrew Sussman & drummer James Guarnieri delight yet keep things steady. "Happy Ending Shuffle" is a monstrous near 23-minute jam of epic proportions, as savage electric violin from Bill Ayasse soars over the top of intricate guitar explorations and mesmerizing rhythms. "Candy Korn" is just beautiful, with Nick Lieto's electric piano leading the charge into adventurous jazz territory, and both "Another Tsunami" and "Reluctant Observer" contain intoxicating melodies and irresistible musical passages, again bridging that gap between fusion, prog, and jam so well.

Having seen Frogg Cafe live numerous times, the excellence contained in this set of live recordings does not surprise me in the least. This is a furious band with a mountain of talent, and if they ever are listed to be playing at a venue near you, make sure you set aside the time to check them out. If not, this live album, and the ones soon to come in the series, will more than suffice.

Track Listing
    1. You Can't Turn The Air Conditioning Off On A Fat Guy 10:26
    2. Admirals Intro 0:43
    3. Moon Over My Hammy 12:41
    4. Another Tsunami 10:08
    5. Space Dust Jam 2:31
    6. Candy Korn 13:34
    7. Questions Without Answers 9:37
    8. Happy Ending Shuffle 22:24
    9. Reluctant Observer 9:47
    10. Dance 3:23
    11. Eternal Optimist 5:37

Added: December 10th 2014
    Reviewer: Pete Pardo
    Score: ****1/2

Why anybody would be interested in what these blowhard gamblers fart out while pretending to be musicians on stage is beyond me. A bunch of posers! I mean, there's not a mellotron in sight.....how can anyone on a prog site like this swill????

I'll take Cardboard Amanda over this crap any day!

Quote Originally Posted by infandous View Post
    Why anybody would be interested in what these blowhard gamblers fart out while pretending to be musicians on stage is beyond me. A bunch of posers! I mean, there's not a mellotron in sight.....how can anyone on a prog site like this swill????

I'll take Cardboard Amanda over this crap any day!
    <sig out of order>