Thread: Tribute To Gentle Giant

Tribute To Gentle Giant

Hello everyone! I just wanted to say hello and post my tribute to Gentle Giant. It's a cover of one of their most ambitious songs. I play all the instruments on the track.

I hope I did it justice. Feedback is welcome. Thank you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qisl...s3Lrif2Ha9VnlQ

éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    That was done very well Nelson. A fine tribute to a iconic band. The added written narratives were informative and the visuals fit in perfectly. Good stuff!

I really enjoyed it. You did a great job. Thanks for sharing. Gentle Giant made some of the most interesting music I've ever heard. They still managed to rock. If I was alive back them, I probably would have missed them, as well as all of the other progressive rock bands of the 70s as I'm around 15-20 years behind the times when it comes to good music.

GG did slip under the radar, even among prog fans at the time. They were so esoteric. Yes, ELP, Tull, Genesis, even Crimson -- they were all more assessable and had some material that even the casual music listener could enjoy. Though none of it would ever get airplay today!

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I'm impressed.
    Last edited by Rarebird; 12-02-2014 at 03:13 PM. Reason: small spelling problem

Like my friend in the Netherlands said, "Wow"!!!!!!!!!

I've been making and listening to music for longer than almost anyone here, and your talent is impressive indeed!

Curious as to whether you've heard Three Friends, the quasi-GG band with Gary Green on lead guitar & Malcom Mortimore on drums, along with a band that can handle "On Reflection". They're on yt.

I also (being a huge doo-wop fan) checked out "Tracks Of My Tears".
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

You sir are a genius.

Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    Like my friend in the Netherlands said, "Wow"!!!!!!!!!

I've been making and listening to music for longer than almost anyone here, and your talent is impressive indeed!

Curious as to whether you've heard Three Friends, the quasi-GG band with Gary Green on lead guitar & Malcom Mortimore on drums, along with a band that can handle "On Reflection". They're on yt.

I also (being a huge doo-wop fan) checked out "Tracks Of My Tears".
    Thanks for the supportive words.

I didn't know of Three Friends and just checked them out. They're excellent.

Glad you liked "Tracks of My Tears." Though my roots are prog, I like all types of music and my channel has everything from orchestral pieces to jazz to the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme -- which was almost as hard as this one! But "On Reflection" really was a beast. The first 10 hours were the toughest. lol

If anyone has any song suggestions, please let me know. I'm always looking for new material to cover -- either as exact as possible or with my own twist. Song suggestions are very welcome.
    Last edited by Nelson Montana; 12-03-2014 at 09:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Rael View Post
    You sir are a genius.
    This---sooooo weird was just listening to this yesterday---one of my fav GG songs from my fav GG album---you should get a Phd for that undertaking lol.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Hello Nelson,

This is absolutely stunning. What an incredible accomplishment. I cannot imagine the level of musical pedigree you possess. Bravo!

If I can take you up on a challenge for new songs, how about the following song by Hungary's After Crying?

This is a masterpiece...

Last edited by mozo-pg; 12-03-2014 at 09:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Hello Nelson,

This is absolutely stunning. What an incredible accomplishment. I cannot imagine the level of musical pedigree you possess. Bravo!

If I can take you up on a challenge for new songs, how about the following song by Hungary's After Crying?

This is a masterpiece...

A 22 minute piece?!?! I don't think I've ever gone over 6 minutes. And in another language?!? I think you stumped me. lol

I never heard of this group, but it's interesting, yet curiously not what I'd consider prog. I'd say it's more atmospheric avant garde rock. (If such labels are even necessary). I like it. Late 70's?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Montana View Post
    A 22 minute piece?!?! I don't think I've ever gone over 6 minutes. And in another language?!? I think you stumped me. lol

I never heard of this group, but it's interesting, yet curiously not what I'd consider prog. I'd say it's more atmospheric avant garde rock. (If such labels are even necessary). I like it. Late 70's?
    I was thinking about an excerpt. I can see you doing in instrumental version, minus the Hungarian lyrics. Here's a surprise, it was created in 1992.

Going back to the original purpose of your thread, you did a spectacular job on the GG tune, hats off.

Most excellent Mr. Montana. And that's coming from someone who saw the real thing several times back in the day.

Holy shit. Great stuff. When I think of making a tribute to bands I like - I just stop myself and laugh... cause I couldnt do what you just did in a million years.

Very cool! Thanks for posting..

Man, that was weak. Call me when you get around to doing something difficult and interesting such as AC/DC or CCR.

I don't know if I've ever heard that tune from GG as I probably haven't listened to enough to really get them but that was quite cool. Really good job, seriously.
    Carry On My Blood-Ejaculating Son - JKL2000

Great job, Nelson! Just transcribing that stuff is impressive enough, but covering all of the parts yourself, wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson Montana View Post
    Though my roots are prog, I like all types of music and my channel has everything from orchestral pieces to jazz to the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme
    You're not kidding; you have everything including the kitchen sink covered on your YT channel! You've been quite busy in your studio, I see! Will check out more of your stuff when I get a chance. Anyway...

Cool stuff. I enjoyed the Asian orchestral styled piece as well. Great stuff.
    Do not suffer through the game of chance that plays....always doors to lock away your dreams (To Be Over)

chalkpie
    Dude - you're a total badass man! Lovely stuff in every way.