Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Simpsons Genesis reference

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    Why does everyone get so excited about which artist or celebrity gets a mention on The Simpsons? Is that considered the Seal of Approval these days?
    It's not a matter of excitement, but it's become a bit of a badge of honour to be mentioned on a show like the Simpsons.

But even more so is the situation with South Park. If South Park, in its 16 years (or is it 17?), hasn't lampooned you, then you are simply not relevant...the most condemnation you can get from South Park is not to be mentioned or spoofed at all.

A conversation I once over-heard back at KFAI radio in 2002 late one night trying to type up my Radio Show's playlists among the 2 other guests on my show, 1 being the guy who became known as "Jam on It Guy" at the early Nearfests.

Jam on It Guy: "The Simpsons Theme song is basically a King Crimson song."

JCostello aka John mega-Yes Fan: "Sure, Danny Elfman's been known to be a Crimson fan."

Jam on It Guy: "That's not what I mean. It's basically written all in Minor 3rds."

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    A conversation I once over-heard back at KFAI radio in 2002 late one night trying to type up my Radio Show's playlists among the 2 other guests on my show, 1 being the guy who became known as "Jam on It Guy" at the early Nearfests.

Jam on It Guy: "The Simpsons Theme song is basically a King Crimson song."

JCostello aka John mega-Yes Fan: "Sure, Danny Elfman's been known to be a Crimson fan."

Jam on It Guy: "That's not what I mean. It's basically written all in Minor 3rds."
    Actually there are parts in Fracture that sound similar

I still say the assorted David Bowie allusions on The Venture Brothers (with Pete White's "Thinner, Whiter Duke" Halloween costume perhaps being the best) are the best of this sort of music fanboy TV show allusion type stuff.

Number 24: So The Sovereign recorded Station To Station?
    Number 21: And Changes One! God, I love that album!!
    Number 24: Could you be a bigger poseur?! Changes was a best of!

Monstroso: Some say the cover of Diamond Dogs is an unaltered photograph of The Sovereign.

Brock: Bowie! I oughta kill you for what you did in Berlin? (Sooo, Brock isn't a fan of Heroes, huh?)

Klaus Nomi being described by Brock Sampson as "The one dressed like Taco" was pretty good too.

Oh, and let's not forget the apparent presence of the album cover of Gong's You on Rusty's college dorm room wall.

some of the stuff on that show is so out there and so varied, I can't believe two guys are coming with all of this stuff?! I mean, ok, I can see a Fantastic Planet allusion, but then to also drop an Inner Space allusion?! I mean, who the frell even remembers Inner Space?! And then there's the episode where Number 24 hums Mars, the Gustav Holst composition, while putting on his uniform (then the cutaway to Number 21 in his car, also humming Mars). And Rusty quoting Rick Springfield lyrics at The Monarch's wedding...Rusty mistaking The Best Little Whorehouse for some sort of skin flick, oh yeah and then there's Billy and Pete quoting Raiders Of The Lost Ark dialog ("They digging in the wrong place!") when they break into St. Cloud's home. Or that St. Cloud actually owns Bobo The Owl from Clash Of The Titans (as if to suggest Harryhausen had built an actual working prototype). Did you also notice that amongst the crap St. Cloud owns, there appears to be a blue Scotland Yard police call box? I wonder if it's bigger on the inside.