Page 2 of 67 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Quote Originally Posted by presdoug View Post
    yeah, some love for Delius, right on! Brigg Fair is a deeply moving experience every time I hear it. Love the version with Sir John Barbirolli conducting, as well as the several by the inimitable Sir Thomas Beecham.
    Ah a kindred spirit! Yes Beecham and Barbirolli really understand Delius. McKerras isn't bad either, but there are one or two versions out there that are terrible-speeded up. One doesn't speed up Delius

Not a fan. I like electric guitars, but I do have a CD of Handl compositions. Gotta be in the right mood.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not a fan. I like electric guitars
    Check out Rhys Chatham, Glenn Branca, Lois Vierk, Steve Mackey, Mikel Rouse, Marco Oppedisano, and Michael Gordon, to start....
    Last edited by mogrooves; 11-27-2014 at 12:05 AM.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Ah a kindred spirit! Yes Beecham and Barbirolli really understand Delius. McKerras isn't bad either, but there are one or two versions out there that are terrible-speeded up. One doesn't speed up Delius
    Cool! Mackerras would be a good one with that kind of music, though I haven't heard his Delius. You make a good point about not speeding up the music. Have you heard the Sea Drift done by Carl Schuricht? Schuricht was instrumental in bringing Delius's music to Germany for the first time, and knew the composer.
    "and what music unites, man should not take apart"-Helmut Koellen

Suspended
    Delius is also one of those composeers shose work is not all that technically difficult to play on the piano. I used to play a number of his pieces, though for the life of me I can't recall the names of the pieces.

The revelation that a piece did not have to be difficult to be moving, even beautiful, came to me when I was introduced to Claire de Lune, by Debussy.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_32_116 View Post
    The revelation that a piece did not have to be difficult to be moving, even beautiful, came to me when I was introduced to "Claire de Lune", by Debussy....
    ....who was hugely influenced by the even simpler piano works of Erik Satie.
    Hell, they ain't even old-timey ! - Homer Stokes

Mmm...Debussy, yeah, big fan of Debussy, Satie, and Ravel for that matter.
    rcarlberg: Is there anything sadder than a song that has never been played?
    Plasmatopia: Maybe a song in D minor that has never been played?

bob_32_116: That would be a terrific triple bill: Cyan, Magenta and Yello.

trurl: The Odyssey: "He's trying to get home."

Debussy and especially his pianoworks is the high alter in my piano cathedral.

Fans of Debussy, Ravel, Satie should here this - Rebecca Clarke ( 1886 -1979 ) Sonata per viola e pianoforte

I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.
    Claude Debussy

I'm a huge fan of 20th century and contemporary classical. Not much composed before about 1910 does much for me.

Elliot Carter's string quartets, especially #1 and #2 are amazing. But he composed in a wide variety of styles, for a large variety of ensembles in his long (102 years) life. So much of it is incredible.

Joseph Schwantner is another with many great works for orchestra and chamber ensembles. His "Concerto for Percussion and Orchestra" is a pretty impressive piece.

One of my more recent discoveries is Magnus Lindberg. His violin, cello and clarinet concertos are standouts, as are "Sculpture" and "Graffiti".

Thea Musgrave from Scotland is a composer that should be better known. Her Clarinet and horn concertos are great.

Penderecki has so many great pieces (he's the best living composer IMO). A good starting place may be his more recent works, they are less avant-garde than his earlier stuff. Violin Concerto No.2 'Metamorphosen with Anne Sophie Mutter on violin is utterly beautiful.

Samuel Barber best known for his hear wrenching "Adagio for Strings", has many other great works. His Piano Concerto with John Browning on piano and Violin Concerto are excellent.

Other composers of note are: Toru Takemitsu (self taught!), Joan Tower, Ligeti, Benjamin Britten, Webern, Messiaen, Ravel.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

I heard a Schwantner piece on the radio a few days ago. Sounded really good. I think it was Chasing Light.

I'm a huge fan of Takemitsu. His stuff is so full of poise, grace, and beauty.

I've been listening to a couple of Ernst's today. Toch and Krenek.

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I've been listening to a couple of Ernst's today. Toch and Krenek.
    I love Krenek!

"Static and Ecstatic" and "Kitharaulous for Oboe" are 2 of my favorite pieces for chamber orchestra.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Toru Takemitsu is also a composer I'm listening a lot to these days.
    He was also a big fan of Debussy. Quoting him in his works.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    One guy I found hard to get into is Shostakovich. I tried a couple of different works but found them a tad plodding.

Are there a lot of composers of the modern era writing "classical style" sonatas, concertos and symphonies? Has scoring movies, TV themes and events had much of an impact on the form (genre)?
    Shostakovich is one me favorites and one of the very best IMO. Can you tell me what works you've heard so maybe we can try again to get you engaged in his soundworld? As a prog fan, a good chunk of his pieces are a progheads wet dream.

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by FrippWire View Post
    I'm mostly fond of 20th Century composers. I really like Stravinsky, Bartok, Berg, Berio, Rorem, Cage, Ruggles, Cowell, Ives, Barber, Varese, Webern, Penderecki, etc. I'm also a fan of early music such as Medieval and Renaissance music especially as performed by David Munrow and the Early Music Consort of London.
    We are kindred spirits man

chalkpie
    Quote Originally Posted by cavgator View Post
    I have several, Bach, Copland, Tchiakovsky, and Dvorak among them, although I am sometimes terrified to disclose this for fear of showing my abysmal ignorance compared to that of "THE EXPERTS!"
    Ha! Not sure who the "experts" are but that is nothing to be ashamed of. Two of those cats would probably make my top 15 or so (Bach, Copland). I just cranked a few Cantatas the other day (Eliot Gardiner) - I would have to grab the discs to tell you which ones specifically.

[QUOTE=FrippWire;338444 I'm also a fan of early music such as Medieval and Renaissance music [/QUOTE]

I'm with you there.Early music was the first classical music i fell in love with, way way back when i was sawing away(poorly) on violin in public school orchestras in NYC.I loved it way more than the Mozart, Bach, Beethoven etc pieces we practiced/played in orchestra class.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

I just sprung for the Ravel Complete Edition on Decca. I couldn't pass it up for 3 dollars a CD. The longer I listen to classical music, the more I'm into vocal music of all kinds. Schoenberg, Mahler, Schnittke, and even some operas. I try to search out the ones with predominantly male vocals or choruses. Several Russian operas, and Hindemth's Mathis der Maler. And I just discovered Durufle's requiem.

Im not a big fan of Rachmaninov, but his choir stuff is sublime.

Not a fan. I like electric guitars, but I do have a CD of Handl compositions. Gotta be in the right mood.
    Here's what you need!

http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/...ane-banks.aspx

Watch the whole clip:

Does it matter that this waste of time is what makes a life for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Debussy and especially his pianoworks is the high alter in my piano cathedral.

Fans of Debussy, Ravel, Satie should here this - Rebecca Clarke ( 1886 -1979 ) Sonata per viola e pianoforte

I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.
    Claude Debussy
    Never heard of Rebecca Clarke. Not sure why though. She not only lived a long life but from that clip her music was superb. Thanks for the recommendation.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Shostakovich is one me favorites and one of the very best IMO. Can you tell me what works you've heard so maybe we can try again to get you engaged in his soundworld? As a prog fan, a good chunk of his pieces are a progheads wet dream.
    it was a double-CD from the library - don't remember the work but remember one of the CDs was a live symphony performance.
    Last edited by 3LockBox; 12-01-2014 at 10:36 AM.

I'm finding that I like concertos more so than symphonies (which I find have too many lulls)
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

Quote Originally Posted by Oreb View Post
    Here's what you need!

Watch the whole clip:

uummm.... what?
    Compact Disk brought high fidelity to the masses and audiophiles will never forgive it for that

By a long shot, my favorite composer is Juaquin Rodrigo, and specifically his 4 concertos for guitar and orchestra. Anything involving classical guitar floats my boat but this stuff is so uplifting. Classical prog!
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...

Uli Jon Roth and Yngwie Malmsteen have done stuff with electric guitar and orchestra. I would expect Roth's compositions to have more taste, based on their playing styles.
    You say Mega Ultra Deluxe Special Limited Edition Extended Autographed 5-LP, 3-CD, 4-DVD, 2-BlueRay, 4-Cassette, five 8-Track, MP4 Download plus Demos, Outtakes, Booklet, T-Shirt and Guitar Pick Gold-Leafed Box Set Version like it's a bad thing...