Page 11 of 68 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast

Thread: Classical music

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    The music is beautiful. Maybe not enough action for some? There's just two vocalists,
    And a choir - its fantastic music!

^^^

My comments were directed toward the Pelleas Et Milisande opera. But yeah, I gave Saint Sebastien a listen, and I enjoyed it!

^^^

My comments were directed toward the Pelleas Et Milisande opera. But yeah, I gave Saint Sebastien a listen, and I enjoyed it!
    Love that opera, pure beauty to the ears.

I recently heard for the first time Antoine Brumel's Sequentia "Dies Irae" One of the most beautiful choral works I've ever heard. After it was over I replayed it again.

Just getting into Wagner's Ring Cycle. The engineering and production on Solti's 50 + year old recordings is superb! Recorded from 1958-1965.

A good podcast by Chris Cutler (Henry Cow) on the evolution of music. I listened to the first episode yesterday and it's pretty good: Probe.

Just getting into Wagner's Ring Cycle. The engineering and production on Solti's 50 + year old recordings is superb! Recorded from 1958-1965.

Bought that originally on vinyl so many years ago. A masterpiece of true endurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Fracktured View Post
    Bought that originally on vinyl so many years ago. A masterpiece of true endurance.
    I started buying opera recordings about 4-5 years ago, but avoided the famous ones by Wagner, Verdi, Puccini, Mozart, etc. But once I heard Lohengrin and Parsifal, I realized how great Wagner is. And now I've got The Ring!

GIOrquestra i Sílvia Pérez Cruz - TRES QUARTS (Feliu Gasull, Enric Casasses)

Good source here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/

Just getting into this set. https://www.ondine.net/?cid=2.2&oid=4791

Disc One:

Lichtbogen
    Grammaire des reves
    Du Cristal

Amazing composer! Music of exquisite and beautiful orchestral textures and colors. And innovative vocal (Grammaire des reves) ideas and arrangements.

Good source here: http://www.musicweb-international.com/

Just getting into this set. https://www.ondine.net/?cid=2.2&oid=4791

Disc One:

Lichtbogen
    Grammaire des reves
    Du Cristal

Amazing composer! Music of exquisite and beautiful orchestral textures and colors. And innovative vocal (Grammaire des reves) ideas and arrangements.
    Only just getting to know Saariaho's music myself, but I like what I have heard so far. So thanks for the pointer to the box set - on order now.

Quote Originally Posted by Socrates View Post
    Only just getting to know Saariaho's music myself, but I like what I have heard so far. So thanks for the pointer to the box set - on order now.
    Cool! I hope you enjoy it. I just discovered Echange by Xenakis on one of those Mode label CDs. Great piece!

Yeah baby......Never too late to dig this monster. Its a classic and iconic recording, although I prefer Levine/Met (1990 DG) for my favorite part: Act 3 of Die Walkure.

Have fun man

So far I've listened to Das Rheingold, and Die Walkure. I'm diggin' it!

Start at the last three tracks on the last disc of Walkure....its called "Leb Wohl...." and crank that shit up and ride it out. Sublime and beyond amazing. But I'm telling you, try to track down the Levine/Met '90 version for that - its the best - the tempi, sound, playing, everything, sooo perfect. And it uses the anvil - you'll know when you hear it. His version is good, just not as sublime for this ending.

EDIT: Solti does the anvil too - I might be thinking of Barenboim or Boulez - can't remember.
    Last edited by chalkpie; 02-09-2017 at 09:16 PM.

I'm contemplating seeing Das Rheingold in June at the NYP - I might pull the trigger.

Will do! I don't know how much it costs to go to the Met, but why not if you can afford it? My town is a drag because the symphony folded.

Will do! I don't know how much it costs to go to the Met, but why not if you can afford it? My town is a drag because the symphony folded.
    Tickets bought! June 3, NYP - Das Rheingold. I wish it was at the Met, but it will still be cool.

My wife might divorce me before Act II is over.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Tickets bought! June 3, NYP - Das Rheingold. I wish it was at the Met, but it will still be cool.

My wife might divorce me before Act II is over.
    Ha! I was thinking the same thing. You'd have more fun with one of your music loving buddies. But you gotta have a woman on your arm when you go to the opera.

Georges Enescu played a lot of bach sonatas and put his style and personality into them with great results... Here on his romanian rhapsody is where enescus style and self really shines though, and In my opinion this gypsy-ness makes his interpretations of bach and others so great...
    Last edited by Nijinsky Hind; 02-14-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    Still alive and well...

Quote Originally Posted by miamiscot View Post
    It will always be JS Bach that does it for me!!!
    Yep, JS Bach was the master.

Q: Why did Bach have so many children?

A: His organ had no stops.

I listened to this for the first time today. Scriabin's ambitious 1st symphony in six movements with a final choral movement. Muti's out of print set is highly regarded. I have it on the budget Kitaenko set I just picked up.

Richard Reed Parry performs "Quartet for Heart & Breath" - Basilica Soundscape 2014

I'm doing some opera. Gotta go with it when the urge hits. I've got so many recordings lying around. I just got done with Wagner's Parsifal conducted by Herbert Kegel. A great live recording from 1975 with very little distracting noise. The music is beautiful! Also Kegel's Wozzeck. Both on Brilliant Classics. And listening to Debussy's Pelleas Et Melisande this morning. The Abbado recording on DG.

I just ordered Pelleas Et Melisande after listening to it here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQ4rkSykjn4

classical music is being composed even now..pretty sure you heard of Ludovico Einaudi or John Oswald..but there are different time divisions like the early music period (approx 500-1600), the common-practice period (approx 1600-1910) and the 20th century
    an expert online essay writing company writer and researcher