Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This or That

Currently I rip all of my music to a local NAS and stream it around the house.
    I keep the physical media also. I get very little music in download form, unless that is the only way it is distributed.
    I copy the ripped music to different devices that I keep local to myself.

The convenience of access to the digital files is hard to beat.
    The thought of sharing my listening habits with 'The Big Giant Head' leaves me cold.
    Streaming is just Pandora, in my world.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

No new music? Ever? Yikes.

Sign me up for option B.
    The Prog Corner

So ONLY listen to the music you own as of RIGHT NOW, or listen to everything that has or hasn't been made? Who's gonna haul everything out of my basement? I got a shit-ton of media, and I just remodelled the place...

Guess I'd go for B, if it was lossless....
    "Always ready with the ray of sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by strawberrybrick View Post
    So ONLY listen to the music you own as of RIGHT NOW, or listen to everything that has or hasn't been made?
    That's right! This really all comes down to determining how important the fondling is.

Quote Originally Posted by Facelift View Post
    This really all comes down to determining how important the fondling is.
    Hmm...well, when you put it that way...
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

I changed my mind. I'll take option C.

I'm all about FONDLING! But the virtual worlds kinda kinky too....

A for me. I'm 61, and I am fine with the 5300 CDs, LPs and cassettes I own. Not so much new coming out I feel compelled to have.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Your options are to keep your entire CD/LP collection, but that's all you are allowed to play ever again for the rest of your life,

OR

You have to give up your CD/LP collection (you get compensated at current market value), and never again can own or play physical media, but you do get free lifetime access to a streaming service that has all albums ever made and all future albums as they are released. The streaming service is guaranteed to be operative for the rest of your life.
    It would absolutely be based, first, on whether or not the artiste are fairly compensated by the streaming service. If you are talking Spotify, then if I have to choose I choose the former because, as much as I want to hear new music along with the old, I refuse to support a service that does not compensate adequately.

A second issue would be: what is the quality of the streaming service's music? If it is compressed, especially if below 320k - but truthfully, I don't know if I would be interested unless it was WAV or FLAC at minimum...or ideally high res- then that would be an automatic nyet.

So, in some ways, your two options are not fair because first, they are not necessarily apples to apples sonically and second, there is the issue of fair artist compensation.

And before anyone jumps on me for raising this issue again...hey, it's a legit reponse to the question, as it would be a significant determining factor for me. Ideally I would like an option that allowed me access to legacy music and new stuff...but not at the expense of either sound quality or reasonable artist compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by jkelman View Post
    It would absolutely be based, first, on whether or not the artiste are fairly compensated by the streaming service. If you are talking Spotify, then if I have to choose I choose the former because, as much as I want to hear new music along with the old, I refuse to support a service that does not compensate adequately.

This is a thought experiment. Artist compensation is irrelevant. If it makes you feel better, assume that artists would get compensated equally regardless of what you pick. But also, as I said earlier, nobody would be stopping you from writing checks to whomever you wanted. Then again, anybody can do that right now, if they were inclined.

As far as sonics, the streaming would be whatever the highest level is that Spotify now offers, with improvements based on however Spotify improves. So, sound quality for now would be nearly as good as lossless but not quite, with the strong possibility that it would one day be lossless.

Believe it or not, all the music is I own is in cd and dvd form. That being said, I'd go with option B, as the OP answered the ? that immediately popped into my mind when I read their first post: Can I still access all the artwork and liner notes digitally?
    'The smell of strange colours are heard everywhere'- Threshold

I agree with opinion A..........
    Graduated from Soran University with First Class Degree with Honours in Computer Science.

For the record, I've never used Spotify. Anyone else?

+1

I'm an audiophile, so the "quality" of the playback is of importance to me. If option B is MP3 quality only, then that is not an option. Also, I like prog and jazz mostly, much of which is not available via streaming services today.

So, if option B can guarantee CD quality playback, or better, and can guarantee that everything I currently own can be programmed into play lists, then I don't see any issue with option B. Unfortunately, that is not the case today.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A gentleman is defined as someone who knows how to play the accordion, and doesn't.

Pendulumswingingdoomsday Rune Blackwings's Avatar
    A, then work to convince all my favorite bands to let me do their album covers so I get a copy of their new stuff anyway
    "Alienated-so alien I go!"

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    This is a thought experiment. Artist compensation is irrelevant. If it makes you feel better, assume that artists would get compensated equally regardless of what you pick. But also, as I said earlier, nobody would be stopping you from writing checks to whomever you wanted. Then again, anybody can do that right now, if they were inclined.

As far as sonics, the streaming would be whatever the highest level is that Spotify now offers, with improvements based on however Spotify improves. So, sound quality for now would be nearly as good as lossless but not quite, with the strong possibility that it would one day be lossless.
    What about the big booklets that come with boxed sets? Would all that stuff and artwork be included with option B?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I've tried it a couple of times but deleted it both times because it had so little of what I wanted to listen to.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I've tried it a couple of times but deleted it both times because it had so little of what I wanted to listen to.
    +1

B of course, without question. I'd always miss the superior format, but couldn't imagine passing up the coming decades of new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    What about the big booklets that come with boxed sets? Would all that stuff and artwork be included with option B?
    Not to mention scarves, marbles, coasters, plectrums,...

This really all comes down to determining how important the fondling is.
    It's a little more than that. I find it somewhat difficult to "browse" digitally and find it far easier and more rewarding to look through my CDs to pick something to play, often something I haven't heard for a long time.

That said, if everything were truly available online guaranteed for my lifetime in wave quality audio that would allow me to play albums as a whole (I hate shuffle play), and removing issues of artist compensation, then I'd be tempted by option B. The problem is, there is no such service today that offers everything, and issues of artist compensation do exist. So I stick with the CDs, where fondling really isn't the issue, but is a nice perk.

Bill

Your options are to keep your entire CD/LP collection, but that's all you are allowed to play ever again for the rest of your life.
    I don't even want to hear/read the second option..
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I will be moving within the next year and the last time I moved, I swore I would sell all of my CDs, albums and books if I had to move again. Well I can't bring myself to do it. Also, when unpacking after the last move, I rediscovered a lot of stuff that I hadn't listened to in a long time.

Option A for me.

I'm with Sputnick. I like to fondle my CDs. I like to smell them too.