Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MoeTar, Heliopolis and Mind Furniture -- Berkeley, CA 01.26.2013

Jefferson James

MoeTar, Heliopolis and Mind Furniture -- Berkeley, CA 01.26.2013

Thanks to PE's own NorCal Kurt, this evening of "Glorious Prog and Art Rock" is happening at the venerable Starry Plough Pub and Restaurant on Saturday, January 26, 2013, 9:00PM - 1:00AM, in lovely Berkeley, California.

Featuring MoeTar (with PE's own multi-instrumentalist extraordinare Matt Lebofsky), Mind Furniture, and introducing Los Angeles' very own Heliopolis (it's our debut gig -- gasp!).

We'd love to see any Bay Area PE folks there. Thanks for the continued support of prog-rock music, good people...

The Starry Plough
    3101 Shattuck Avenue
    Berkeley, CA 94705
    (510) 841-2082

http://www.starryploughpub.com

Click graphic for full-size, complete release:

moetar flier fior jan 26 at the starry plough.jpg

Knock 'em dead, Kerry!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Quote Originally Posted by KerryKompost View Post
    ...and introducing Los Angeles' very own Heliopolis (it's our debut gig -- gasp!).
    Oh! I didn't realize this will be the official debut. Cool!

- Matt

Jefferson James
    Thank you Scott and Matt; Matt, I am especially looking forward to meeting you and seeing/hearing you do that thing (one of many) you do so well. Really stoked and excited about this night.

And, yeah, it's our first gig. Knowing how f'in tight and together MoeTar is, well, let's just say we're not taking this gig lightly (although it always has been -- and always will be -- about one thing only: having as much fun as possible).

Bring your friends, people, this night's going to be a blast, trust me.

For you Facebookers, here's the event page:

https://www.facebook.com/events/458908887499350/

Rawk!

I have no doubt that this show will kick major ass! Were it not for the fact that I now have a (non-life threatening) surgical procedure on the 28th that requires me to"prep" on the 27th, I was seriously thinking about flying out.

Break a string, erm, leg KC!
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

President Harry S. Truman

Good luck to you, too, Steve!

Break a leg, Kerry!

Heal thy wounds, Steve!
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by progeezer View Post
    I have no doubt that this show will kick major ass! Were it not for the fact that I now have a (non-life threatening) surgical procedure on the 28th that requires me to"prep" on the 27th, I was seriously thinking about flying out. Break a string, erm, leg KC!
    I had a colonoscopy a couple years ago which involved a day of "prep" which wasn't too bad -- at least I grew to appreciate beef bouillon. But man, that "milk" stuff I had to drink at the end of the day in stages...yikes.

If that's what you're going through next month -- or whatever you're going through -- my thoughts, prayers and toilet papers are with you. I have SO many guy friends who never, ever go to the doctor or get check-ups or anything reasonable and I always tell them DO IT DUDE, your life may depend on it.

Happy you're not one of those idiots! Wishing you the best, kind sir.

As to music, I'm hoping we will connect at an event next year or 2014 at the latest. Thank you for the well-wishes, sir. Honestly, I've been trepidatious about this gig for the past couple of months -- we've only really started rehearsing with the whole band since October -- but lately the music has been coming together quite nicely so I'm breathing easier and going thru less pairs of underwear. Six weeks to go but who's counting?

Yes sir, the colon B-3 is indeed the organ involved, Kerry!

And thanks to both you & SB for the kind words.
    "My choice early in life was either to be a piano player in a whorehouse or a politician, and to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference"

I live close to Berkeley so will try and make it.
    Colonoscopy and prep are not that bad. I had a sarcoma, cancer, in my leg last year and
    now have a small prostate cancer that is being watched with PSA tests and yearly biopsies. Fun.

Okay, now to completely de-rail the thread....

My father this last year went in for a routine colonoscopy, and they found an anomaly with his appendix. No big deal - he's 71, so they decided to just remove it. Relatively routine surgery.

Now, healthcare being what it is these days, this is virtually outpatient surgery. He was operated on a Thursday and was released on a Friday. He went through the entire weekend not being able to keep any food down. Finally, on Monday, my mother called his surgeon, who advised her to get him to an ER right away. Turns out he had a bowel obstruction. Again, no big deal - they put a tube up his nose/down his throat, and it cleared up rather easily. HOWEVER...

Before releasing him, they gave him a battery of tests, and found that he wasn't "processing oxygen efficiently," which brought on a whole battery of new tests. This revealed that he had lung cancer. Yet AGAIN, not really a big deal, as they caught it very early and just removed a lobe of his lung (of course, this was easy for me as I wasn't going through it - it was very, very scary for my parents). But to hear the doctor, he was never really in any danger.

To sum up: colonoscopy->appendectomy->bowel obstruction->lung cancer. It was a hell of a summer.

So, moral of the story - don't delay your routine medical evaluations. Follow your doctors' recommendations and get your prostate checked, get your colonoscopy, get your mammogram, etc.

Steve, not writing any of this to scare you - quite the opposite, hopefully. I sincerely hope your procedure goes smoothly and finds nothing irregular, and I commend you for taking care of your health.

And now, let's hear more about this cool gig in Cali.

I've been through this 3 times already since I hit 50, but this is diagnostic rather than preventative.

Succinctly put, I have some symptoms that could be either Irritable Bowel Syndrome, Diverticulitis or at worst, colo-rectal cancer. I won't get scared until it's over & they're about to tell me "yea" or "nay" to all 3.

Now how 'bout them Heliopolises!

Now how 'bout them Heliopolises!
    Glad you asked!

Once upon a time.....

Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

Jefferson James
    Scott, thanks for driving home the importance of routine check-ups and testing; I'm glad your grandfather made it through all those scares. Wow.

Steve, here's hoping your condition is easily rectified (no pun intended); keep me posted my good man.

Rapidfirerob, it would be really great to meet you at the gig; if, indeed, you do make it, please say hi ok? I'm hoping a friend of mine, Al Chan, also makes it; he lives in Berkeley, too. Some of you might know his band The Rubinoos; Al's a music geek and he digs prog so I'm hoping he can make it. The more the merrier!

Thanks to Cozy/Poisoned Youth for adding this event to the official PE calendar:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...=2013-1-26&c=1

Edit: Thank you, Tasia, for posting the pic -- good times!
    Last edited by Jefferson James; 12-14-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Mind Furniture is hoping that our set will be more pleasant than a colonoscopy. To that goal, we have been practicing up a storm and have a good set of old plus new work. Since our Bass player is currently working on a project at the Hadron Collider at CERN (as if that was more important than flying to California for this gig!!), we have recruited Jim Anderson from Metaphor to fill in. What a pleasure it is to work with Jim!

For me, after so many great posts on this site, I am looking forward to meeting Kerry. Plus, I can't wait to see MoeTar and Heliopolis. This is going to be a great night of music and a good way to clear out all of your various pipes.

Scott, thanks for driving home the importance of routine check-ups and testing; I'm glad your grandfather made it through all those scares. Wow.

Steve, here's hoping your condition is easily rectified (no pun intended); keep me posted my good man.

Rapidfirerob, it would be really great to meet you at the gig; if, indeed, you do make it, please say hi ok? I'm hoping a friend of mine, Al Chan, also makes it; he lives in Berkeley, too. Some of you might know his band The Rubinoos; Al's a music geek and he digs prog so I'm hoping he can make it. The more the merrier!

Thanks to Cozy/Poisoned Youth for adding this event to the official PE calendar:

http://www.progressiveears.org/forum...=2013-1-26&c=1

If you guys remind me, I hope to come to the gig. WideOpenEars and I go to shows often, so he may come as well.

Jefferson James
    Quote Originally Posted by MindFur View Post
    I am looking forward to meeting Kerry. Plus, I can't wait to see MoeTar and Heliopolis.
    Right on, Greg! Looking forward to Mind Furniture's set, too and of course meeting you all. Bring it!

Yer welcome, dollface.
    Cargo of diamonds as you are: nothing more valuable, nothing more tough. - A. M. Beal

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Moe Tar are epically good, I'm sure it will be a great event, enjoy.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Moorea Dickason of Moe Tar & D97's Ms. Hunt are my 2 favorite "newer" band female vox.

See you all there!
    "The mountains are calling and I must go" - John Muir

"To breathe the same air as the angels, you must go to Tahoe" - Mark Twain

Jefferson James
    Thanks, Nog, we're looking forward to it, please believe. Nothing beats playing live and all of us are itchin' to wheel this puppy out on a stage and see what damage we can do.

Geeze, I've never seen MoeTar but I am getting familiar with the material and lovin' it. Can't wait to meet the band and catch their set. Been speaking with bassist Tarik lately about stuff and he's a real cool guy.

Melissa, we all hope you're in a good position to make it down to Berkeley, it'd be great to see you again.

Leaving you with a rehearsal jam not to be taken seriously:

Tarik is Morrea's spouse. (Just in case he didn't mention it)

Jefferson James
    Tarik is Morrea's spouse. (Just in case he didn't mention it)
    I didn't know this, that's cool -- thanks, Steve.

Seven rehearsals to go...

Hellllllioooooopolish!
    no tunes, no dynamics, no nosebone