Thread: Eurythmics "In The Garden" with members of Can & Conny Plank producing

Eurythmics "In The Garden" with members of Can & Conny Plank producing

I figured there might be some Can fans here who never knew about this album. It was the first Eurythmics album, recorded in Germany with Conny Plank producing. Holger Czukay and Jaki Liebezeit appear on several tracks. I must say that I don't think it's a very good album, but it's certainly interesting because of the involvement of these three Krautrock legends. So, if you're a Can completist, here's something you may have missed...

It's not that bad. I actually think it's my favorite of the Eurythmics' output in retrospect ("Sweet Dreams" and "We Too Are One" are the others). It's trying overly hard to be "dark and gloomy" and not showing Lennox's voice off to best advantage, but as an early eighties college-rock album, it does okay. Favorite songs are "Belinda," "Your Time Will Come," "Sing-Sing" (sung in French!) and "Revenge."

For those who are used to Eurythmics' synth pop output, this album is very guitar-band-based. I'd say it's closer to spirit in the later album "Revenge" (which might even be thought of as a sequel, due to the title) than their synth-based radio hits.
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    It's not that bad. I actually think it's my favorite of the Eurythmics' output in retrospect ("Sweet Dreams" and "We Too Are One" are the others). It's trying overly hard to be "dark and gloomy" and not showing Lennox's voice off to best advantage, but as an early eighties college-rock album, it does okay. Favorite songs are "Belinda," "Your Time Will Come," "Sing-Sing" (sung in French!) and "Revenge."

For those who are used to Eurythmics' synth pop output, this album is very guitar-band-based. I'd say it's closer to spirit in the later album "Revenge" (which might even be thought of as a sequel, due to the title) than their synth-based radio hits.
    It’s a bit closer in sound to their last band, the Tourists, than Eurythmics. Hipper, though, a lot of the time the Tourists were struck by the “trying too hard to have a hit” bug (their cover of “I Only Want to Be With You” probably the ultimate example), and you definitely don’t get that here. I agree that this one doesn’t really show Annie’s voice to its best effect, only on “Revenge” do you get a sense of what she’s really capable of. There’s also still a bit of Annie playing the flute on this album, which you definitely don’t get on later Eurythmics albums!
    Confirmed Bachelors: the dramedy hit of 1883...

Quote Originally Posted by Progbear View Post
    Only on “Revenge” do you get a sense of what she’s really capable of.
    Also, her soulful background melismas at the end of "Belinda" are spine-tingling; probably why it's my favorite on the album. (Begins at 3:24.)

There’s also still a bit of Annie playing the flute on this album, which you definitely don’t get on later Eurythmics albums!
    I always liked her flute playing on "Conditioned Soul" from Be Yourself Tonight. Man, did I annoy a lot of people by playing that over and over...
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)